I don't like the Mannings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Apr 25, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Well now...you'd have to look at it from both sides. :grin:

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

This is one of the dumbest arguments. You hate someone for leaving their home state for a career?

You must hate many Louisianians and LSU grads who left the state and done very well in other states ... I guess they used (insert the state they live in) to get rich.

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I tend to agree w/ you on this one. Truly great players make the players around them better players.

4. BasileTiger

BasileTiger Founding Member

Dude shut your trap!

You have know idea what you are talking about. These are good people. It's not all about winning championships. The manning family is one of class and integrity. Your jealous remarks are showing!

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It's a love/hate thing...

I told my husband on Saturday that I've always had a love/hate thing going with the Mannings. I support them in the NFL. I love to see Louisiana and SEC guys do well in the league. I think Archie has been great for New Orleans and the state.

But...

I hate that they didn't go to LSU. Still, that doesn't make them bad people--not at all.

What I DID hate was hearing Eli getting booed like that on Saturday. First of all, if his name wasn't Manning, the story never would've broken. I'm sure many families of first overall picks get involved in the draft process.

Secondly, San Diego drafted him to squeeze all they could out of the Giants. They knew that they didn't want Eli any more than he wanted them. They used him, but no one is coming out and booing that.

6. col reb

col reb Founding Member

what the heck are you saying?

I was a teenager who had just finished my senior year of football. I guess I was immature and buying into the pregame bs all kids do. The rebs had owned LSU for a while there. Archie had never lost to them. We thought he was invincible. Nearly killed us when he broke his arm in Houston. We were all saying typical teenage stuff like--Man, they will try to hurt him on purpose----they will knee him every chance they get-----they will give him cheap shot to the arm and shoulder area. Yada-Yada-Yada....I hate those tigers. At the first of that game, OM played well ----even led the tigers. Halftime score was something like 17-14. May have been LSU's favor. I don't really remember. In the 2nd half, if OM had tried to pour water out of a bucket, they would have missed the ground. Archie gave out. He was out of shape after weeks of being laid up. I did observe the tigers as they hit him. I watched close. Most of that 1st half seemed to have been played on the end of the field where I sat. The tigers didn't baby Archie. They weren't supposed to. If he could play, he could pay. I NEVER saw a cheap shot taken at him. As I mentioned earlier, I had just finished our hs season. Our coach was old school. He used to tell us that when a play was over, he better not see us helping anyone (rb) off of the ground. He said that took energy that he expected us to use for defensive play, not making friends. I SAW---LSU players help Archie get up time after time. I grew up some at Tiger Stadium that night. I came to realize that these were not only good players but good people. They just chose a different school and what made me any different? Different circumstances, I would have been a LSU fan instead. I got to thinking about that. I decided that I could have been just as proud. Yes----I think I grew up some that night. After the game, some of my friends were saying "I told you--I told you." I said, "Yes. You told me. But what did they do wrong?" I watched as close as I could. (probably looking for an excuse) They said, "Man.......They hit him all night long." Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!What were they suppose to do? Run along beside him and ask him to fall down so they wouldn't be embarrassed by having to (God forbid) hit him? :sob:

7. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I hope it did not surprise you that Eli got boos at the draft. If he had played at USC, there would have been no debate. We are used to this being from Miss. We have a past that will not be forgotten. Bama denied the blacks from going to school. Most all southern colleges did too at that time. But Miss. seems to be the one everyone wants to remember as bigots. We just can't seem to overcome this.

8. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Nirvana=90's Rock
    OldMiss=Segregation

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Great story! Thanks.

That's a great story. I'm glad LSU won with class. I'm glad nobody took any cheap shots at Archie. I also heard that Archie's Mom was also grateful that they helped Archie up.

I remember Archie's rookie year with the Saints, although I was only 10 or 11 at the time. Saints fans were very grateful to have him on the team.