I don't understand (again)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by col reb, Oct 4, 2010.

1. col reb

col reb Founding Member

Yeah, I know. I'm pretty stupid. I can't help but feel very uneasy right now. Ugly wins are still wins. 13 uglies could even mean NC. Everyone should be able to feel like -5 and 0 - great start. Be fired up. But very few feel this way. What I see is the lack of structure, no preparation for unseen possibilities, no progress, and a definate lack of supervision even if it means delagation of authority. Will Miles be terminated if LSU goes 8-4, or even 7-5? If he returns next year, he will still have JJ and JL...at least I think I'm correct here. Don't expect to see either one declare for the draft....I think both are smarter than Snead...:D Will we be looking at this all through next year too? If so, how does he get any experience for the next Tiger qb? He will not be able to blame RP by then. And between his game decisions and the qb situation, how does that abode for hs qbs, who might be eyeing LSU now? Not trying to be a negatiger and not calling for heads to roll. Just want to see improvement. I hate to see the defence of Bama, Fla, even Ark and Aub. Hang in there players. We still believe in you.

2. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

Coach at TCU says he doesn't care how it looks as long as they have one more point than their opponents. It is win baby win.

3. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Sounds like the same type of thread from 2008 and 2009. You are not going to win a Sec or National Championship playing like this and eventually these recruits are going to go else where.

The players are winning in SPITE of the coaches that is not a recipe for long-term success.

4. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

I'll take the win, but I am certainly not comfortable.

Every year over half of the top 10 teams entering October end up being frauds, being passed by teams ranked lower who get better through the season. Right now, LSU is on the top of the "Fraud Watch" list (having seen Texas and Florida already being exposed).

Most objective observers see the Tigers winning only 3 more games. With the talent available, LSU fans understand that's not enough.

GEAUX TIGERS

5. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

You wont get 13 ugly wins in a row like that in this conference. It is not possible. The problem is that the current coaching regime is getting Vandy results with Florida talent. That talent will start to dry up if the results keep coming out as they are currently. So what results will we have in the near future when we can only recruit Miss. St. talent? (yes this is hyperbole)

I watched another SEC game this weekend and saw the head coach rip the punter a new one when he came to the sidelines because he shanked a 26 yd. punt. I think the team in question was up 24-3 or something like that at the time. He wasn't happy to escape with a win as coach Miles said he was this week. I saw the same coach upset because his team let off the gas in the second half even though they clearly dominated the other team. They ended up winning 31-6. Because he knows that you can't get lucky every week when you let teams hang around who should be blown out.

I watched our game this weekend and saw on at least 3 occasions our head coach speak to players delicately and even pat one on the shoulder after making huge detrimental mistakes (stupid turnovers). I don't know what he said to them. I don't know if it matters. But I know that how he chose to speak to them certainly didn't catch their attention or express the extreme displeasure with their mistakes that it should have IMO. Not saying that a coach always needs to rip into a player publicly for making mistakes. Far from it. But if you do it right once it discourages him and the rest of the team to not do it again.

I distinctly recall watching an LSU practice in the past during a different regime. A key young defensive player, let's call him "Corey Webster" to maintain his anonymity, was loafing just a bit and making some key mistakes in technique in the defensive backfield. His head coach, not his position coach or D coordinator, stopped practice and went onto the field in a mood fit to be tied. He tore into the player and instructed him what he was doing wrong. He told him to remove his cranium from his buttocks and focus. Then he coached him. He physically positioned him where he was supposed to be. He showed him how to properly backpeddle and then how to turn his hips properly as he turned to run with the receiver. Etc. etc. This went on for several minutes. Then he patted the player on the back and admonished him to go out and practice like he was capable of so that he would perform up to his capability in the game. He had an interception, 3 pass break ups and 6 tackles in the game. I think he might have made it to the NFL.

Does anyone see that type of thing happening now? I'm asking seriously, because I haven't been able to attend practice in years. Maybe it is and I just do see it on Saturdays.