I don't understand Coach Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerjuice, Oct 14, 2009.

1. tigerjuice

tigerjuice Founding Member

He's suggesting that we were never in position to utilize the game plan that the coaches had put together for the game. Didn't we have the ball 1st and goal at one time? Didn't we have the ball multiple other times? So basically hes saying that we had to run certain plays b/c we were never in position to run the plays we wanted to run. What's the point coach?

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I just commented on this in another thread (about why Shepard isn't playing)

It's hard to understand what Miles is actually saying, but in his quote that you're referring to...he's unusually clear. My take on this is that he couldn't run certain plays when he wanted to because The scripted game plan they developed ahead of time, before the game didn't call for the plays he wanted to run in those crucial situations.

I think this is not only hard to understand...it's almost insane.

:huh:.

3. tigerjuice

tigerjuice Founding Member

Can't they adjust the game plan? Like make in game adjustments based on what the other team is doing. I mean, Hello?

4. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

this seems very similar to Dinardo's last season. Not the losses, but the complete abandonment of coaching.

I don't know what to expect. I think we either keep being insane, or go all out use all the weapons with no regard for what bad could happen on offense.

I'd be ok with the all out. At least it would be fun to watch a game again.

5. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Please don't say that -- I don't think any of us want to relive what it was like for Dinardo's last two years here.

Throw away the script, or at least be able to think on the fly and call plays based on what the game dictates. If it means get the speedsters in the game, then do it!

:geauxtige

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Welcome to the club. I honestly wish I knew whose idea it is to formulate a rigid game plan and stick to it regardless of the situation. It severely handcuffs your players and violates a basic principle of football: take what the opponent gives you, and keep doing it until they show they can stop it. As so many others have pointed out, as soon as they run a successful play, it never makes another appearance. I do not, and cannot, understand or justify not throwing everything you've got at the #1 team, playing in your house. If you lose, do it going for broke with all your weapons.

1 person likes this.
  7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

You know, the saints have these scripted game plans, but not only Payton, but the quarterback often checks off and goes to a play that will take advantage of what the defense is giving them. I don't expect Jefferson to be able to call an audible, but I expect the coaches to.

You might think that that's exactly what is happening with the way the plays are coming in from the sideline, but if so,LSU must run all their plays from scrimmage out of the same formation because they never shift into a different formation.

8. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

the reason for scripted gameplans is to eliminate tendencies.

but if what you're saying is true, it just sounds ridiculous. are they that bad at gameplanning?

script plays with shepard, script misdirections, script quick ins and outs to our playmakers...

we have more than two pages in our playbook right???

9. TC

TC Le Big Mac

I think the coaches are still shell-shocked from the Jarrett Lee fiasco last year. And Jefferson is freaked out about it, too. They all were there and saw those pick-6's, and it was a nightmare.

Add to the equation that Jefferson doesn't look to be the brightest bulb in the lamp, and you've got a gameday playbook that is comparable to that of an ordinary high school team.

I'd rather LSU lose than play not to lose. Crowton and Miles need to add new wrinkles to the offense every week. If JJ can't handle it, go back to Lee. Best-case scenario, devise a gameplan that gets all 3 QB's on the field. I mean, it can't be that hard. They just got big raises, for cryin' out loud!

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Our game plan was to run the ball and eat up the clock after we got a three touchdown lead...