I don't understand Coach Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerjuice, Oct 14, 2009.

1. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

When you have a quarterback who can't run your whole offense, you are a lot more bound to a script than you'd like to be.

This entire city demanded Lee no longer be the starting QB. They got their wish. Unfortunately, what that means is we are handcuffed to a small subset of LSU's offense and are poor at executing that (high throws on bubble screens, high throws on comeback routes, leaving recievers out to dry on slants, etc).

But we no longer throw crucial INTS! :dis:

The cure for this offense is a new quarterback. The QB position is far more important than people realize.

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i think miles and crowton are going the extremely safe route right now in seeing if JJ can improve over time this season.

not saying they're right in doing that and offensive ranking of #109 points to the contrary, but IF you yank JJ for Lee, and Lee comes in and starts ("God fahbid" that was my best italian accent) throwing pick 6's and making the D's (the the O's) job already harder than it is, where does that put us?

or not even throwing pick 6's let's just say he's just as inept as JJ.

two emotionally damaged QB's with no help in sight other than a true freshman who by all accounts (despite his superman running skills) throws like me.

i think there are easier fixes than inserting Lee. shorter dropbacks, actually passing the ball on quick routes. that's how JJ will get his timing and accuracy better. much of this can actually be solved by better O line play the omission of the "meerkat" pre play stuff.

3. charlie_c0756

charlie_c0756 Founding Member

You OBVIOUSLY didn't get it that I was in AGREEMENT with your post. My witty, intelligent post was directed at others posting in this thread. I never got a GED. I graduated highschool, went on the college and got an engineering degree. So,,,,,,,,,I guess that I won't agree with your posts anymore. Or maybe I'll just have to get some remedial lessons on being more witty and intelligent.

Read the post dumbazz.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

You responded to a post from someone calling me out for what he thinks is my lack of loyalty to Les and the team, and then go on to agree to HIS point. I've read your post several times and it still doesn't come across like you're agreeing with me in any way, but I'll take your word for it if you're sincere. My bad if I misinterpreted it. I still maintain that the other poster needs to watch some Sesame Street or something after I very clearly explained my position and I'm still being accused of secretly being a Saban or Meyer supporter, and how I should just shut up and unquestioningly agree with Les.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

On Inside LSU Football, that show that Jordy Hosts, Les said that he thought 20 points would have been the minimum points we would have scored on Florida. So is LSU a different team in practice that they are in game? Is there some Jeckyll and Hyde thing going on here? 20 points on that defense? We averaged 27 points per game going into that game against Washington, ULL, Mississippi State, Vandy, and UGA. Something doesn't make sense here, because Miles actually seemed shocked we weren't able to score, when most everyone on here and in Tiger Nation knew our achilles was offense. But i guess he couldn't really come out and say "i knew we weren't going to score" or "i knew we sucked on offense". So maybe its just more coachspeak.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

its not coach speak with les. theres no logic in his rambling even when its not involving something he needs to be secretive about.

hes just an incoherent mess most of the time. thats never going to change.

hes the blonde with big tits. it doesnt matter what he says. hes not even sure. just stop trying to make sense of it.

7. ehelmLSU

ehelmLSU Freshman

I think the problem with this team is simple to figure out, but hard to fix. There is one overriding problem that manifests itself in a number of ways. Our Offensive Line is not very good or maybe is not yet ready to perform at a high level. (While overall our recruiting has been good, our OL recruiting, as in those OL recruits that actually ended up on this team, has been sub par for a number of reasons that I'm not going to get into.)

The play calling and Jordan Jefferson would look much better if our OL was performing as well as it did last year. For example, JJ and the O looked much better in the few games last year when JJ got significant reps.

Because our OL was good last year and we could run the ball efficiently, the fact that JJ held the ball too long, has a slow release, has a tendency to float the ball and locks onto one receiving target was less noticeable. Given that our OL was better, JJ didn't take as many sacks because they gave him more time to find receivers that had time to break away from coverage. Because our OL was good, the defenses had to respect the run and couldn't get away with only rushing 3 defensive linemen like Florida did. Florida having all those players in coverage, caused coverage sacks because JJ drops too far back and doesn't know when to throw the ball away yet.

I'm not bashing JJ, he's just doing what most young, inexperienced, QBs do. He'll get better with playing time. However, my point is that his deficiencies as a QB were not as noticeable when the OL and running game were better.

The play calling last year looked better because, with a good OL, your not going to have as many negative or no gain plays. It's hard to call effective plays when its 2nd and 10, 3rd and 10, or worse. It's hard to call effective plays when there is no threat from an effective running game and you have a young quarterback that has a tendency to lock onto one receiving target. Even scrambles from the QB position when the first target is covered, turn out much better when you have an OL that can sustain blocks.

P.S. bhelmLSU is my younger brother. I've been lurking for awhile now.

1 person likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree with you, at times UF was sending 3 linemen and they still put pressure on Jefferson, but Jefferson has to get some of the blame, you can't sit back in the pocket, and fire up a cig, and wait for routes to develop. You have wheels, if you see nothing take off, don't jump around side to side in the backfield, take off forward get as many yards you can. Our run game works if we would just use it, and not just in the obvious situations, there are more than just 3 designed run plays we could be using to create matchup problems. Isn't the idea to establish the run first, which eats up clock, wears the opposing defense out, and ultimately opens up the play action?

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No, this is too good of a first post. You must get into it deeply.

Why is the offensive so much worse than last year? I get the impression that it ain't just the new guys.

I've always felt that the offensive lineman's virtues are to be smart, powerful and large . . . in that order. I fear now we have linemen that have their virtues reversed.

10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Welcome to the Board. Any relative of Bhelm is a friend of mine:thumb: