I don't understand LSU's limited playbook

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jester, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Jester

Jester Founding Member

OK, here is something that I'm having trouble with.

Many people are saying that Crowton is being forced to scale down the playbook to accommodate Jefferson, and maybe Lee. How is this possible?

I played QB my freshman year and most of my sophomore year of HS before I moved to D. We had a base of 100 plays in our playbook.

1-49 were running plays........Dive, Lead, Power, Isolation, Draw, Counter, Toss Sweep, Read Option, Counters, etc.

50-100 were pass plays.......screen, slant, short out, comeback, curl, deep out, post, corner, fly

On top of those base plays, we added all of our audibles, check downs, and any trick plays and then each week we also created additional plays specifically geared toward the team we were playing that week.

I'm 31 years old and I could probably walk onto a field right now and correctly run all of the 100 base plays, including making reads and progressions through receivers on passes.

Now, I'm sure that LSU's playbook is more complicated than my HS playbook was, but when either Jefferson or Lee is on the field, it seems like we are limited to less than 12-15 plays. How can this be? Is it our offense or our qb's so unintelligent that they are unable to have more variety than that? Or is Crowton only comfortable calling those few plays, and if so, why?

No offense should be as limited and inept as ours is.

2. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

You couldnt run all 100 of those base plays for Miles or the Offensive genuis known as Crowton, you'd be benched! Blasphemy!!!

dont talk crazy there arent 100 plays in offensive football.

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Substitute BYU for LSU and see if this seems familiar:

For the long form answer, see this:
    LSU fan seeking info on Gary Crowton

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

5. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

I don't buy the shrinking playbook either. There was a guy at John Eret that ran a few running and passing plays and practiced his players with it until they puked. Made them awful good at those few plays and beat the pants off teams with it. They just ran their best and made you execute to stop them. We have no discipline to execute the plays we have.

And I am starting to think that JJ is a little selfish at running the ball. He had shepherd with a clear running lane a few times and called his own number. The players may see this in him and that's why they quit on him.

6. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Billy North! God he had a couple good teams with Bruce Petty as QB and Thaddeus Washington at DL.

7. Rex C.

Rex C. member

Uncle Rico, is that you?
    [ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/8725/napoleon-dynamite-uncle-rico-throws-a-steak"]Hulu - Napoleon Dynamite: Uncle Rico Throws A Steak@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/9qNrGBSkxZj31r80lODT3g@@AMEPARAM@@9qNrGBSkxZj31r80lODT3g[/ame]

8. Jester

Jester Founding Member

So, the question remains.........is Jefferson not intelligent enough to run the playbook?Lee, too? Or, is Crowton limiting the playbook through his poor playcalling, when our players could, and want, to actually do more?

Or is it a combination of both?

A good point was made on the radio tonight, though, about how Jefferson cannot make quick decisions. Its OBVIOUS in the passing game.......but also, when he runs a zone read or an option, 90% of the time he makes up his mind what he's gonna do before the ball is snapped. If he decides hes gonna run it, he's damn well gonna run it, even if he can feel the end breathing on his neck as he pulls out the handoff. If he wants to pitch on an option, come hell or high water, he'll chunk that phukker even if he's tiptoeing the sideline.

9. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Thanks I couldn't remember his name.

When you think about it Auburn's playbook was not that complicated today. They didn't throw much and only ran a couple guys, and put up over 400 yards on us!

10. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Moscona just alluded to this in the radio post-game, but it occurred to me that Les and Crowton seem to want to run an offensive version of the amoeba defense. For those not familiar with this, the Redskins run a D with 6 DBs and unconventional LBs, designed to confuse a QB and force him to make quick decisions, while not having a true identity and being deceptive about the tightness of the coverage the QB is throwing into. It forces a QB to be reactive and make mistakes. Without an identity on offense, LSU is trying to react to what a defense is giving them, with 2 QBs with completely opposite skill sets. No form and no identity. I suspect this is Les' thinking with 2 sub-par QBs and trying to use the best of both worlds. The problem is poor coaching and God-awful execution.