i guess i'll chime in

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Sep 17, 2006.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

no review

the play wasn't reviewed because it's in the category of non-reviewable plays. One official threw a flag and, upon conference with his fellow officials, learned the ball had been tipped. (which it had).

The flag was subsequently picked-up, as was the call. Your opinion is that the play "was an obvious penalty," but watching the replay this morning provided me with a differing opinion. It's easy to see how the official -when viewing the play at full speed - could fail to rule the play as Interference. It was a bang-bang play with the ball clearly being tipped. The intended receiver didn't touch the football. The officials did not have the benefit of instant replay to determine if evidence would support overturning the call.

JMO, but I thought there were several other plays more deserving of interference penalties during the game - and both teams benefitted. The contact by Irons in the enzone was worthy of a flag and I'm surprised it didn't draw one. However, official's calls are part of the game and must be managed with poise and deliberation.

LSU had it's chances to win this game, with or without the whistles.

[​IMG]

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Re: no review

I'm on the SEC web site and the "touching of a forward pass by a defensive player" is reviewable. However, in my opinion the PI was committed before the ball was tipped. That isn't reviewable. So, bottom line they could use replay to verify the ball was tipped but not to add the PI into the equation.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Yes he did tip it, but that actually had slightly after the Auburn fan speared Doucet making it interference.

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Excellent points Tirk. Couldn't agree more.

Now, having some time to reflect, the game stinks even more. It reeks, actually. I'm happy to know that we're not crazy, as reading national articles about the game discuss the one-sided officiating as well. And I'm NOT talking about the calls that always go one way or the other.

I'm talking about critical, game-changing calls. It was on full display, and any opinion to the contrary is either ignorant or blinded by support for Auburn.

I would like to say that LSU had their chances to win. But it sure seems like everytime they started to move towards that end, the officials stopped them. Look at each pivotal drive in the second half. Of course the playcalling can improve, and the line play can improve, but you can't fight phantom holding calls, or breaking the rules of play.

The SEC has to correct their officiating woes. The integrity of the game is at stake. And that integrity took a substantial blow yesterday.

12-1 here we come. Can we claim an Auburn-like national championship since we'll be undefeated against opposing teams, with the one loss coming to the offiicals?

5. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

After watching the NFL for college for some time now, I can't say that I'm surprised anymore. This wonderful sport we know as football is subject to corruption on many levels, and it reared its ugly head again today. I can honestly say it will be hard for me to enjoy football anymore. Whether its intimidation, extortion, or just "buying the refs," it's inexcusable and has ruined the integrity of the game. What's worse is that there is no accountability for things like this. I wonder how much potential $$$ will this game cost LSU in bowl money?

I want to thank the LSU football players and coaches. It really sucks that these people pour so much of their lifeblood into this sport and sacrifice so much to have !@#$ like this happen to them. They lose more than we'll ever know. It will always be a season that makes you wonder what could have been. Yes there is still games to be played and goals to be reached so I have no doubt that this football team will be successful regardless.:geauxtige :geauxtige

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Here's my problem. Forget about whether or not it was PI. The Ref made an official announcement of the penalty, and even began marking it off before waving it off. When does a penalty become "official"? If it is when announced my the ref, then overturning it was not only BS, but against the rules. If they had a conference and discussed it, then announced it, then ioverturned it, what changed their minds? Was it Auburn chirping intheir ears? If so that's also BS. Poor judgemnet call happen all the time. It was the way this one was called, marked off, then taken away that smells like rotten horse s***!

7. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

So you think there was not interference with the receiver before the ball was tipped???? I had you pegged a little less biased than that. Even the AP report said this isn't the case.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=2453680

What makes us so angry is that the right call was made on the field and announced, then for some phantom reason it was reversed.

8. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

I mentioned this elsewhere a couple of times, but haven't seen anyone discuss it, so I will say it again.

The 2-6 sideline completion early in Auburn's TD drive was not a catch.

They showed a slo mo replay from the endzone camera on TV, and you could see the ball slip down through the receiver's arms while he was going out of bounds. I saw it, reversed the DVR, and watched it in slo-mo, and the receiver did not have possession before he hit the gound out of bounds. The ball may have actually hit the ground, but either way, it was not a catch.

I don't understand why this play was not reviewed. Is that not what the system is there for? Pretty much any sideline catch like that should warrant a quick second look. On second look, it was clear that the catch was questionable, at which point, a full review should have taken place. Why did it not?

I have long been critical of replay in both college and the NFL. I think the college system is superior, but my primary complaint of both is that they still get calls wrong (e.g. the Hester catch/no catch, the play above, the Oklahoma-Oregon on sides kick). I can't understand why this happens so often, and it really frustrates me.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

As the FSN game day wrap up show put it when they showed a clip of the play, "LSU was jobed".

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

of course.

obviously. pretty weak on his part and even i expected AU at least admit the obvious. this close call bs shows who is honest and who is not. or just totally blinded.