I guess there is such a thing as being too successful

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 9, 2014.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Right, how do you prove that? Do they tell him 'Don't win any game by more than 40pts. 41pts is considered running up the score.

cajdav1 likes this.
  2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I coached Little League baseball for a long time and was on the board for a very large ballpark in Atlanta. In one of our meetings a guy who was from Massachusetts wanted to bring up the discussion of not keeping score or limiting the runs per inning and shit like that. I can say I was overwhelmed by the amount of directors who lambasted the idea immediately. I was sooooooo proud!

furduknfish and BostonBengal like this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Our society is quickly becoming one of a bunch of whiners and the next generation is the "entitlement generation" where adversity can't be over-come because, "how dare you NOT make me equal on all levels of life even though I don't earn it"???

There was a case in Texas that was similar. Perhaps some have read it (forgive me if I can't link it off-hand), but a high school coach faced "Bullying" charges from a mother of a player on a opposing team. Cited "running up the score" as "bullying".

The details? After the first quarter, the accused coach removed ALL starters, instructed the officials to "keep the clock running when his offense was on the field" regardless of whether or not they were tackled out of bounds, called NO PASS plays the entire game.

The result? His 2nd and 3rd string composed of mostly freshmen ran the ball up the gut every play and still weren't getting tackled!

My daughter is only 6 years old and not yet fully in to competitive sports (though she did join a swim team the past 2 summers). She's NOT the fastest--and due to her birthday, she's actually one of the youngest. But my encouragement to her is: "Do your best. No matter what. Never give up and so long as you are having fun you can not fail."

She swam her races, finished dead last, but always gets out of the pool with a smile on her face and I'm was always there to greet her with big hugs, warm smiles and high-fives and always tell her how proud I am of her efforts.

GregLSU and cajdav1 like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Vince Lombardi is rolling over in his grave about now. Ditto Bear Bryant. Roll Bear Roll. The next big thing in this country will be to give promotions to soldiers who lose a battle so "they can feel good about themselves."

6. lsufan52

lsufan52 Lsu baseball fan from old box to new

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Maybe try reading the dam article?? :D

The school/school board is often in a situation in which they can't disclose the REAL reason(s) and the teachers/coaches love to run with their own version of story. Saying something could cause the dismissal to be turned on its head so school personnel take their lick an move on. It'll die down sooner than later.

His comment about, "A real man would've fired me the day after the last game" makes me think he's a "real man" himself.

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I'm all for opposing the whole "everyone's a winner; let's not keep score" BS, but THAT is absolutely ridiculous! I'd be embarrassed to be one of those coaches.

6-12 year old athletics is all about (or should be all about) learning life lessons. Work hard. Give it your all. Learn to accept defeat. Over-come adversity. …NOT to instruct our youth to "make them bleed!"

islstl and cajdav1 like this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Oh bullshit. That guy said he rolled up and found them throwing down at his place and he put a stop to it. Lets not turn him into Larry Eustacy off of 1 claim.

10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

He's in Virginia... what do you expect?

shane0911 likes this.