I have a Curley Hallman question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by scrappy, Oct 8, 2006.

1. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Im really making an effort to broaden my knowledge about LSU overall. I was wondering about the Curley Hallman years. What were some of the reasons they were so bad?? Didn't Hallman cheat on his wife with a cheerleader during that time frame?? Im claiming ignorance on some stuff, I just want to learn more. Thanks. Also, can you guys enlighten me about the politics as people call in regards to the LSU football program. When you think of politics in LSU football, what do you think of?

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Hallman was hired at the end of the 1990 season. He looked great at Southern Miss that season; he beat either Florida or Bama--I don't remember which. Of course, he had a QB by the name of Brett Favre who probably had a lot to do with why Southern Miss looked better at the time.

The level of athlete seemed to be down at LSU when he came, and I believe he actually recruited fairly well because DiNardo came in and had relative success pretty quickly with many juniors and seniors.

I think he cheated on his wife, but I can't remember the specifics.

3. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

Cheating on his wife sounds right but I was just a kid when he was hired so I don't really know all the rumors that were flying around then. For giggles, I looked him up on Wikipedia. Dude is coaching HS ball now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curley_Hallman

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

There was a thread on one of the boards sometime in the past written by ex LSU players who played for Hallman. It was incredible that a man could run a program the way those guys described it.

5. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Hallman could recruit like no one else but could not coach his way out of a wet Schweggmans Bag.

Look at the transation from Hallman to Dinardo.

Dinardo could coach but didnt know how to recruit worth a damn.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Can you paraphrase the thread? I won't quote you on any of it so you don't have to worry about being exact.

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Hallman had some nice talent. Mawae...Mike Calais...Anthony Marshall--who, for some reason was one of my favorites....Probably because he looked like a bada$$. ;)

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Hallman sent a lot of players to the NFL, so I suppose he could recruit, but his teams had no cohesion and some really bonehead coaching errors were apparent to everybody.

The Auburn "Interception Game" showed that to everyone, I think.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

He beat BAMA and Auburn that year, plus lost to UGA and Miss St by a combined 4pts. All 4 of those games were on the road.
    His first year here wasn't too bad. We were blown out @ UGA and @ ATM.
    '92 was more of the same, a couple blow-out losses, but a whole lot of close calls. '93 was better and worse. We went 5-6 and were finally winning the close games, just our losses were all ugly. We did shock the world by going into BAMA and beating a highly ranked Tide team (defending Nat. Champs).
    His last year is when the wheels fell off. We lost 3 of the first 4 games by a combined 10 pts (one of those was the infamous Jamie Howard game). Then we were basically decimated in every other loss after that. only winning 3 more games down the stretch one to Southern Miss.

10. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

You have to understand a couple things to really understand the Curley Hallman regime.1. Mike Archer had really, really, really left the cupboard bear OK? Really bear. Couldn't recruit at all for whatever reason. Joe Dean as AD then, in his infinite wisdom, hired Raycom Sports to do a nationwide search for our next head coach when he could have called Curley Hallman at USM collect and he would have paid to come to LSU.Now Curley, being a Bear disciple and having us coming from a "player's coach" Archer, he tried to implement a disciplined regime which sorta failed. He recruited pretty well which was proven by a failed coach Dianrdo coming straight in from a Vanderbilt 65-0 defeat to Tennessee, getting God's blessing with this job and going 7-4.2. But Curley was what we call, and are reminded of today, as someone who was way in over his head.As someone else mentioned, Curley beat FSU, Auburn, Alabama with a certain QB named Brett Favre. Curley could still be the coach at Southern Miss, my dad's alma mater, if he hadn't come to LSU. Instead, Curley was last seen selling lumber outside Pelham, AL.Thanks.