I like Limbo doing football talk on ESPN**

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by JD, Sep 14, 2003.

1. JD

JD Founding Member

dd

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I noticed that Rush was doing NFL Gameday. How the heck did that happen?

Haven't had a chance to see him though. I'm either in church or getting a little extra sleep at that time of the morning.

3. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Rush has been wanting to get into sports for some time. I don't know much about Rush, but I remember an interview with him last year at ESPN.com and he was saying how it was a life long dream to do sports broadcasting. He was considered for MNF, but they went with Dennis Miller instead. One of the reasons he was passed up, was that they were looking for a free and loose booth with Miller, and ABC worried that some viewers might stray away from Rush due to political views.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Before he hit it big with talk radio Rush was employed for a time by the Kansas City Chiefs in some capacity so he does have some background in football.

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Liberals everywhere curse the day Rush chose politics over sports. :D

But in some ways, politics has become a sport. Or at the very least, entertainment.

6. JD

JD Founding Member

KC Royals baseball team.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What kind of job did he have with the Royals?

8. JD

JD Founding Member

Something in PR, I think

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I love Dennis Miller as a comedian but he sucked on Monday Night Football. From the days of the Giffer, Dandy Don and Cosell MNF has usually had 3 guys in the booth. I can't find any fault with Madden and Al Michaels but I wouldn't mind seeing Rush added to the team

10. JD

JD Founding Member

I don't know why so many people miss the obvious re MNF (i.e. ABC). The problem wasn't Miller or Boomer (not that they were particularly good) - the problem is AL MICHAELS. He is absolutely horrible. He is supposed to be the PBP man - instead you get his commentary on every bloody thing - did you hear about him wailing about not going for 2 last night??? How about saving that for someone who has actually COACHED or PLAYED, Al?

With everyone but Madden, they almost had to get Michaels' permission to speak - Madden came with sufficient credibility that he didn't have to get Al's approval.

Pat Summeral was the best PBP man since Ray Scott (Keith is good too). Reason? They called the game, and offered commentary on occasion and low-key at that. Frank Gifford was very good for MNF - he let Howard do the opinionating.