I read that VT fooled LSU schedule another game ?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Sep 3, 2002.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I dont what truth their is to this, but I read in the Paper that when LSU and VT decided on this game, THEY BOTH agreed that this would be their first game. I heard that Saban was very upset that Virginia Tech would go against there. They basically had a pre-season which in my opinion made a HUGE difference in the game, by the time LSU got going it was much to late.

Is their truth to this, and if so what will LSU do about it. It this is true that is pretty crappy I think.

I am not making an excuse for the loss, I am asking if someone has heard the VT lied to LSU and scheduled a game to get one in before they play. Which we found makes a world of difference.

Geaux Tigers.

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I believe that was the deal. I say we do absolutely nothing about it....until July 2004.

1 person likes this.
  3. VaBeachHokie

VaBeachHokie Freshman

Another Rumor

I have heard a variation of the same thing and seem to remember some talk about it when the preseason game came up.

I remember when we were offered the chance for the preseason game some discussions as to how LSU would feel about the decision to play a game before the VT-LSU game. I seem to recall reading that VT's staff first discussed the option with LSU and was told LSU was ok with Tech playing a preseason game.

I can't remember if it was between coaches or the athletic departments, but I don't think Tech tried to pull a fast one. Besides, there can't be alot of improvement by playing a team like ASU. Our first string was in for about the first quarter. Our 4th string got more reps than our first string. Also we showed nothing that game that we didn't have to. You guys got a little advantage out of that game as well by at least having something on film to watch.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

The biggest advantage we got out of that game was playing VT. I dont think we face any other teams of that caliber all year except for Florida. I dont think they tried to pull a fast one, either, but we have all heard the cliche, "you improve most between your first and second games." I honestly think that what happened sunday is just what we needed to go 11-1 or 10-2 this year.

5. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

Virginia Tech did go behind our backs and schedule that preseason game with Arkansas State.

The "classic" they played was actually made up this year. Hispanic Coaches Fund Classic or something like that.

From what I understand, the game was arranged by ESPN/ABC for TV and helped both schools out because they lacked games. I believe BYU cancelled on LSU and Virginia Tech got cancelled by another school.

1 person likes this.
  6. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

I agree with the entire thread here.

After Sunday's game, Beamer said it was "critically important" that Tech had played a game before playing LSU, and he acknowledged that game (vs Ark. St.) helped Tech beat LSU.

That's to take nothing away from how well Tech played, and how well they maintaned their focus and energy in all areas (offense/defense/special teams). They came to play, and earned their victory.

1 person likes this.