I see that the AU/LSU thread has already

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BloodTypeOandB, Jun 23, 2004.

1. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

I don't think anyone is overlooking auburn. LSU went 13-1 last year and won the NC, beating Auburn 31-7 in a game that wasn't that close. Based on those results, the QB's being a wash (Campbell =< New LSU QB) and LSU better at nearly every other position (RB is up for debate) I think most LSU fans expect a tough game but expect to win. Nothing wrong with that. The respect for Auburn is there, but at this point in LSU football we have to expect to win those type of games. Auburn, IMO, is still a level or two below LSU & UGA at this time.

:lsug:
    :champs:

2. AUMorgan21

AUMorgan21 Founding Member

I think Ill have to disagree with you turbo. From the tone of the thread and some of the comments made by a few of you guys, I DO think you are overlooking AU. Or maybe it just comes across as overlooking since your overall disdane for Auburn wont allow you to post that you think it might actually be a hard fought close game. ;)

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Offensively, LSU will work it on the ground, but that's going to be this offense's method of operation the first few games of the season regardless of opponent.

What wins the game for LSU is the LSU defense versus Auburn offense, or to be more specific, the Nick Saban/Will Muschamp versus Jason Campbell/a reshuffled Auburn OL/Al Borges.

In Campbell you have a QB who has a history of getting a bit rattled from time to time. Add to this the fact that the OL is vastly changed since last year (5 new starters, I believe) AND the fact that Auburn will have had only two tune-ups (against teams vastly inferior to LSU), and Saban and Muschamp will have FIELD DAY.

It's going to be stunts, blitzes, twists and the whole kitchen sink being thrown against a skittish QB, a still-jelling OL and a new OC and his new offense.

Won't be pretty.

LSU wins this one the old fashioned way: dominance on D, steady as it goes on offense, running the ball at least 30 times to win comfortably.

If any Auburn fan wants to refute what I think is an unbiased analysis of both teams strengths/weaknesses, I'd be glad to hear from you.

4. BloodTypeOandB

BloodTypeOandB Founding Member

Steve Spurrier in the locker room before an OOC patsy

game ( paraphrasing ) " Team, I could stand up here and tell you why you should be worried about that other team, but I won't. You are better than them and will win this game, now go out there and do it."

Understand the philosophy, just not sure it quite fits the scenerio.

This WILL be a battle.

May the best team win.

BT:OB+

5. BloodTypeOandB

That is actually a pretty good take, the things that

could throw loopholes in the type of defense Saban likes to run is catching the D on a blitz..... middle linebacker blitz with Caddy catching the ball out of the backfield.... etc.

Getting the ball to the correct person in blitz situations is key.

The point that you mentioned can't be overlooked. JC HAS been rattled, if you are able to do that again, I would have to admit it would probably take a good bit of luck to win.

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

One other thing: assuming LSU wins in Auburn, if they are undefeated come the morning of October 10, they absolutely deserve to be ranked #1 in both polls regardless of what anyone else has done up to that point.

That'll be wins on the road over three top 15 teams! I'll even wager that Georgia will be a top 3 team on Oct. 2 and Florida a top 10 team on Oct. 9.

BTW, if that happens, make your reservations for Atlanta. Easier said than done, sure, but it's the truth.

7. BloodTypeOandB

There won't be ANY doubt that you guys would be

ranked #1. I don't think anyone else in the country would have played a more difficult schedule by then either.

8. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Only thing I see wrong with your analysis is that we won't have 5 new starters on the OL. It will, however, be a work in progress as some have been reshuffled to new positions.

9. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

disdain?

yeh, I do hate auburn like a #$*&ing thief in the night, but I acknowledge they have a good football program with talent all over the field, but do have some holes. Overall a very good opponent, no matter how much I hate them.

The most hyped and erroneous hope of opponents is the infamous back out of the backfield play. This was, of course, the very play that allowed UF to win the game, that UGA had wide open, and the Oklahoma also had wide open on one occasion.

In the UF game the play worked due to a badly missed assignment - twice. I suspect if you study the game film you will see that UGA and OK also had a single shot due to a missed assignment. LSU doesn't run any defenses designed to allow the opposing RB to be wide open, so that plays success is dictated by LSU mistakes on the defensive side of the ball - or - a speedy back and a PERFECT throw. When the back exits the backfield protection will break down quicker than usual. The QB will be under pressure and will need good touch and accuracy. Doesn't sound like Campbell to me. With UF, Leak dropped waaaaaaaaay back and delivered. hes a great QB IMO. Greene delivered but the back dropped it, and White(OK) couldn't get it right under the intense pressure. Do it too often and LSU will drop someone into the middle of the field and take it back the other way for 6. Its a dangerous play if used too often or if it becomes predictable.

If a team goes into a game expecting this play to be fruitful, it may work once but then again they may be surprised to see it covered. What to do then? LSU was burned on that play LAST year so I suspect there was extra emphasis placed on defending it THIS year.

Even last year, if that play was the key why didn't Ole Miss, Ark, UGA & OK use it more?

:lsug:
    :champs:

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Hello, Morgan...good to see you back.

How's that chip? You know, the one on your shoulder? Larger than ever, I see... :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: