I think Bass is ready for the NBA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WildcatMike, Jan 29, 2005.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Rue, I'm hoping you're talking about the Webber of the Golden State days, and the VERY early years in Suckremento...Webber has been a shell of his old self lately.

He can't jump or plant off of two feet after his surgery, and he's had a robotic shoulder that'd make Will Smith in I, Robot proud for a few years now...

Webber is like a decoy...Randy Moss after he returns from a badly sprained ankle...You pay him token attention...

If I had to compare the way Bass plays to a current/former NBA player, I'd put it along the lines of an Antonio McDyess/LaPhonso Ellis. Both of them were limited in range offensively, and were kind of hybrids in the way a Garnett is...The height of a 5, but going out and at times guarding a 1...The type of guy that doesn't fit a pre-ordained pigeonhole most have.

He has college 3 point skills now. Look at guys like Elton Brand & Zo Mourning. Both are 6'10" (Yes, Zo is only 6'10", and played a classic, back to the basket 5 his entire career)...They put good weight onto already impressive physiques once in the league...You guys have to remember that Bass is still maturing into his own Body. He's only 19...He's going to be a beast one day...but that day isn't yet today.

This guy will make a lot of money someday, and has a big decision to make after the season is over...I for one hope he stays one more year...If Shaq stayed for 3 years, then so should Bass...His post moves need polishing, and he still doesn't have the up-and-under, the drop step, or any other legitimate back the basket post up moves that he'll have to lean on at least at first in the league...

2. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

LOL......Chris Webber is no where near "dominate" in the paint.....
    maybe when he was younger before the ankle injuries.... That's why I compared his game to Chris Webber's current game.....

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I'm not sure if Bass is ready, but if he gave the NBA a look last year, he'll probably take another look this year.

He has developed a nice jump shot and his learning how to play facing the goal. I think he'll have to play the 3 spot in the NBA, so his ball handling needs some work.

If he continues to play like he did yesterday, he'll go in the 1st round...

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Plus, I"m not ready to lose him to the NBA just yet!!! :thumb:

5. tigerjeffrey

tigerjeffrey Founding Member

You sound like a nice guy, but I can't help but be reminded of Rick Pitino's efforts to recruit Shaq for the NBA (at the time Shaq had just finished his junior yr at LSU, and Rickie was HC of Kentucky.) Pitino's sentiment was something like, "Shaq is just too big for college, he needs to move on. It's not fair, waaaaa!" And there was also the implicit understanding that other SEC schools would basically butcher Shaq (like that last game at Ark., last shot Shaq was mauled on, and no call) and the refs would look the other way. I mean, what, lil ol' LSU basketball can't build a great team w/ senior leaders a la Kentucky and Duke? So, I hope Bass stays 4 years and sticks it to "Big Blue" a few times like we used to do in the 70s and 80's -- regional finals in 86, blowout in Rupp w/ Tiger players rolling on the floor in laughter, etc. Hey no offense, Big Blue fan!! I just always loved seeing Daddy Dale sticking it to your boys.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i didnt notice anywhere in the post i quoted referring to present-day Webber. of course i was comparing bass to webber in college. we are talking about bass's skills for the nba--where he might be drafted. and i dont think bass is anything close to what webber was in the post. and one complete and consistent game against a solid foe doesnt make bass a complette and consistent player. he needs to play like that almost every game.

i dont care too much about the nba, so i dont really know who to compare him to. i do think its foolish to compare him to mourning or brand. those two inches make a big difference, and, again, they are much better post players than bass (sorry, were much better post players in college). im also concerned that bass isnt 6'8". only because thats often inflated an inch or two.

7. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

Bass is 6'8 252
    Some NBA 4s
    K. Martin 6'9 240
    B. Wallace 6'9 240
    Z. Randolf 6'9 250
    C. Boozer 6'8 260
    E. Brand 6'8 270

He should be fine.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

yep, if these #s are accurate, he should be fine. but if he leaves after this year he'll have a lot of learning to do inthe nba. because especially martin boozer and brand had much more polished games than bass does now

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Just because he's a 7 footer doesn't make him a center. He's the same as Dirk. He's tall but doesn't have the mindset of a center. Whenver the Grizzlies play a team with a marquee center, it's Stro that ends up guarding him, not Gasol. Thus, I would label Stro a 5 and Gasol a 4, not a "6" as you so wittily put.

From ESPN.com:
    Swift
    Height: 6-9
    Weight: 225 lbs.
    Pos: FC

Gasol
    Height: 7-0
    Weight: 240 lbs.
    Pos: PF