I think I know who our next head coach will be... (Serious thread)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PGTiger, Oct 5, 2010.

1. PGTiger

PGTiger Founding Member

Let's face it guys, Les Miles is not going anywhere for the next few years unless he decides to leave. He runs a clean program, recruits very well every year, wins games, has a national championship ring, and he has a big time contract.

However, I believe I know who the next head coach at LSU will be... Billy Gonzales. He is 39 years old right now and has been in the coaching world since 1995.

Here is his resume...
    2010-PresentWide Receivers Coach & Passing Game Coordinator at LSU
    2008-2009
    Wide Receivers Coach & Recruiting Coordinator at Florida
    2005-2007
    Wide Receivers Coach at Florida
    2003-2004
    Special Teams Coordinator & Receivers Coach at Utah
    Co-Recruiting Coordinator & Receivers Coach at Bowling Green
    Receivers Coach at Bowling Green
    1995-2000
    Running Backs Coach, Receivers Coach & Recruiting Coordinator at Bowling Green

He was groomed by Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, Utah, and Florida... We brought him in to be an assistant OC, then become the OC... However, I believe we brought him in for a bigger position... head coach. I don't think he would have left his buddy Urban for just another long-term assistant position at a school with the offensive problems we have.

So, let's say in 4 years Les heads out, of course we are going to shop around for the big time coaches, but I think our answer will already been wearing purple and gold. Gonzales will be 43 years old and hungry to have his own team. Of course, he will need to have success as a coordinator here first, but I believe he will once he gets his style of players in the door.

What do you guys think?

2. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Demote Crowton now, give billy play calling duties for the rest of the year. In the mean time look for a OC that can possible be a HC in a few years to take over when Les's contract is up. If you like the direction of Billy keep him, if not you will have the process started to get a new OC coach right after the season is over.

3. Berge

Berge Founding Member

I have been for this since the day he was hired.

4. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Well I am behind the ball, I have only been saying this since the summer of 2009. :)

Demote immediately then fire at the end of the year and send him back West. There is no reason what so ever this was not done yesterday morning. Les rides his ponies until they die though, Jefferson basically fell over when the Tigers went down 4.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't know, because I think he would have come here if he thought he could move up to OC. I mean it's not really a gamble because he is still serving a purpose within the coaching staff, and you can evaluate him throughout the process, but I don't think any coach has ever been the head coach at LSU that has come up through the ranks, someone please correct me if i am wrong about that.

6. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Well, to me you have a perfect opportunity to see what he is made of, free of charge. What I mean is, he really couldn't do any worse. You could put a monkey up in that booth and it would be an improvement.

It's a perfect time to at least see his play calling ability if he is interested.

1 person likes this.
  7. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I doubt LSU will hire someone without head coaching experience.

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

*sigh* Pelini would have been AWESOME as an LSU head coach...

I miss Bo.

1 person likes this.
  9. west_tex_tiger

west_tex_tiger Founding Member

This is possible, but I doubt it. When Les is shown the door, LSU will look for an established Head Coach who will likely want to choose his own staff.

However, I am intrigued by the idea of letting him call plays. Crowton, IMO is doing a lousy job in this area, and we could definitely use an infusion of new ideas.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Exactly why Jimbo wasn't given the job when Saban left. In retrospect, it may have worked out.