I think Trump has a defamation suit

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by onceanlsufan, Nov 18, 2021.

1. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Fox is reporting on the dozens of "corrections" being issued by the Washington Post regarding the Russia garbage. IMO ... issues corrections after the fact, after you have slandered an individual is an admission to guilt that you willingly and with forethought slandered the individual. Trump should sue their asses off.
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/washington-post-corrections-steele-dossier

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

That would be a fascinating event. Trump should also sue Adam Schiff for slander as shifty has continued to hold on to the Steele dossier as fact.
    Frankly I think there would be massive numbers of dead people floating in the Potomac to keep the story from coming out.

KyleK likes this.
  3. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Its difficult for a public figure to win a defamation lawsuit because they have to prove malice. It will not surprise me if Trump sues but it will if he wins the suit.

Winston1 likes this.
  4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

he’ll sue and not care if he wins in the court…. He’ll win overwhelmingly in the court of public opinion….

shane0911 and kluke like this.
  5. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

i think it would be appropriate for Trump to challenge Schiff to a duel. It's still legal in Florida and many other states. That would be cool....i'd pay 99 pay per view to watch. Or at least a steel cage street fight. I could see Trump choking Schiff out with is neck tie.

KyleK and shane0911 like this.
  6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

So you don't think this was done with malice? They slandered the man for 4 years with fake information they conjured out of thin air. Pretty clear to me that there was malice.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I didn't say that - I said it would be difficult to prove. There's no doubt that there was anti-Trump bias and even Trump hatred behind the stories being published. But It's a high bar to prove it.

KyleK and Winston1 like this.
  8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I get it. I guess I disagree that it would be hard to prove. The fact that it was done at all is malice in my mind.

9. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Anybody can sue anybody for anything, so go right ahead. trump's track record on suits is abysmal, and this would be yet another he'd lose.

10. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I'm not a lawyer, but to win I think you have to prove (1) that the news people had knowledge that the information was false AND (2) that they published it with malice, meaning the specific intention of doing harm. And I think, but I'm not sure, that means that if they knew it was false but published it anyway and their reason was to sell more papers, that's not malice.