I thought we could keep our current health plans ...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUsupaFan, Jun 8, 2011.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I don't have to look up what I already know.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Of course you know the bullchit, I mean look up the facts. :grin:

3. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I think obamacare was just another government giveaway. I think it's main goal is to put even more people on the government tit so dems can say the evil reps are going to take away your healthcare and your family will all die. It's another form of welfare. It's meant to destroy the insurance system we have now. When enough people lose their coverage the only place to go will be the government single provider system. Look at the VA system. That's the future under a single provider government system. If I'm wrong , which happens alot, you can laugh and call me a dumbasz. If I'm right , which happens now and then, we will wish that things had not changed. Will you be able to admit that obamacare was a failure? You sure will let us know if it's a success. Can any liberal ever admit that any progressive measure was a failure?

4. red55

The Health Law uses private insurance providers exclusively. Even if you are indigent and getting a subsidized policy, it will be provided by a private insurer. That means private jobs, not government jobs. You would know this if you ever bothered to read the law.

There is no government single-provider system in the Health Law. You would know this if you ever bothered to read the law.

The VA system and the Louisiana Charity Hospital system is socialized medicine if anything is! The Health law replaces those government-run, government staffed gulags with private insurance that people can take to any doctor or hospital that they want to. That's fewer government jobs and more private jobs. You would know this if you ever bothered to read the law.

5. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

If what you say is correct then why is the insurance industry aginst it? Why are there companies asking for waivers? Why is there over two dozen states trying to strike it down in court? Why are the talking heads saying so much aginst it? Why did every single rep vote aginst it?

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Obamacare: Top 10 Reasons It's Wrong for America | The Heritage Foundation

Obamacare: Top 10 Reasons It's Wrong for America
    Revised and updated September 16, 2009
    1)Millions Will Lose Their Current Insurance. Period. End of Story: President Obama wants Americans to believe they can keep their insurance if they like, but research from the government, private research firms, and think tanks show this is not the case. The economic incentives plus a government-run health plan as proposed in the House bill (H.R. 3200), would cause 88.1 million people to see their current employer-sponsored health plan disappear.
    2) Individual Mandate Means Less Liberty and More Taxes: Although he once opposed the idea, President Obama is now open to the imposition of an individual mandate that would require all Americans to have federally approved health insurance. This unprecedented federal directive not only takes away your individual freedom but could cost you as well. Lawmakers are considering a penalty or tax for those who don't buy government-approved health plans.
    3)Your Health Care Coverage Will Probably Change Anyway: Even if you kept your private insurance, eventually most remaining plans--whether employer plans or individual plans--would have to conform to new federal benefit standards. Moreover, the necessary plan "upgrades" will undoubtedly cost you more in premiums.
    4) The Umpire Is Also the First Baseman: The main argument for a "public option" is that it would increase competition. However, if the federal government creates a health care plan that it controls and also sets the rules for the private plans, there is little doubt that Washington would put its private sector "competitors" out of business sooner or later.
    5)The Fed Picks Your Treatment: President Obama said: "They're going to have to give up paying for things that don't make them healthier...If there's a blue pill and a red pill, and the blue pill is half the price of the red pill and works just as well, why not pay half for the thing that's going to make you well." Does that sound like a government that will stay out of your health care decisions?
    6)Higher Taxes Than Europe Hurt Small Businesses: A proposed surtax on the wealthy, included in the House Bill (H.R. 3200), will actually hit hundreds of thousands of small business ownerswho are dealing with a recession. If it is enacted, America's top earners and job creators will carry a larger overall tax burden than France, Italy, Germany, Japan, etc., with a total average tax rate greater than 52%. Is that the right recipe for jobs and wage growth?
    7)Who Makes Medical Decisions? What is the right medical treatment and should bureaucrats determine what Americans can or cannot have? While the House and Senate language is vague, amendments offered in House and Senate committees to block government rationing of care were routinely defeated. Cost or a federal health board could be the deciding factors. President Obama himself admitted this when he said, "Maybe you're better off not having the surgery, but taking the painkiller," when asked about an elderly woman who needed a pacemaker.
    8)Taxpayer funded Abortions?Nineteen Democrats recently asked the President to not sign any bill that doesn't explicitly exclude "abortion from the scope of any government-defined or subsidized health insurance plan" or any bill that allows a federal health board to "recommend abortion services be included under covered benefits or as part of a benefits package." Currently, these provisions do not exist.
    9)Its Not Paid For: The CBO says the current House plan would increase the deficit by $239 billion over 10 years. And that number will likely continue to rise over the long term. Similar entitlement bills in the past, including Medicare, have scored much lower than their actual eventual cost. A new study released by the Peterson Foundation estimates the House bill would add $1 trillion to the deficit in the second decade.
    10)Rushing It, Not Reading It: We've been down this road before--with the failed stimulus package. Back then, we also heard that we were in a crisis and that we needed to pass a 1,000-plus-page bill in a few hours--without reading it--or we would have 8% unemployment. Well, we know what happened. One Congressman even said it's pointless to read the reform bills without two days and two lawyers to make sense of it. Deception is the only reason to rush through a bill nobody truly understands.

This is what the heritage foundation says about obamacare. They may be wrong. It's too early to really tell. With something as important as healthcare it should have been a compromise between the two parties. It wasn't. The dems pushed it through without any republican support. If it succeeds it's all because of the wisdom of the democrats. If it fails it's all because of the stupidity of the democrats. Either way the democrats own it. I hope if it fails it doesn't bankrupt the country in the process. If it succeeds I hope it helps keep this country from going broke. Healthcare is one of the country's major expenses. I don't know how to fix it. What I do know is there are lots of people who think that this bill will bankrupt this country.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

That is incredibly hard to read, and the parts I did read were inaccurate. For instance this things talks about that public option but the health care overhaul passed does not contain a public option.

There are literally 100,000 things wrong with the overhaul bill passed, but Republicans can't stop talking about the stuff that isn't in it.

8. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I hope the democrats are right and this program works out great. If it doesn't it can destroy our entire healthcare system and bankrupt the country. If it does then my medical INS may stop going up every year. I pay 208 a WEEK for INS for my family with blue cross through my employer. Three years ago it was 125$. It has went up from 125$ to 208$ a week. Every year it goes up. If I drop it then what about my boy with cerberal palsey ? I have to keep INS on him for sure no matter what the cost. I hope that this bill does all the good that is said about it and not all the bad. Some say premiums will go up some say down. Who knows. I know one thing, Obama made it to where it doesn't kick in until after the next election that way if it fks up everything it can't be used aginst him.

9. red55

Are they? The Health Law includes a main provision which the American medical insurance industry lobby group, America's Health Insurance Plans, had called for, namely a mandate that every American must have medical insurance (or pay a fine) as a quid pro quo for the dropping of unpopular features of America's health insurance system such as premium weightings and exclusions for pre-existing conditions and the pre-screening of insurance applicants. Insurance companies are going to have more business.

Because they wanted more time. The vast majority of companies have not applied for temporary waivers.

Party politics, pure and simple.

Because it s news, obviously.

10. red55

If it fails we can always change it.

THis is the problem tha the Republicans are ignoring . . . the current system is unsustainable. Costs have risen at three times the rate of salaries. Within 10 years, if nothing changes,a family's health care costs will exceed mortgage costs as the single biggest expense. And it will continue to rise.

You will benefit directly, I have no idea why you are fighting this. You will be able to obtain insurance, no matter what. If you lose your good job or become disabled yourself, he will be able to get subsidized coverage. Even if you die or become indigent, he will never have to go to free government clinics or charity hospitals, he can take his insurance anywhere. He cannot be dropped for medical reasons. You can change to a less expensive plan if you can find one and he can't be denied because of pre-existing conditions.