I was wrong about Michael Clayton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cadillacattack, Nov 10, 2004.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

During this year’s NFL Draft, I stated that I believed that Tampa Bay made a mistake drafting Clayton at the 15th pick, instead believing they could’ve traded down several spots to 20th or lower and still selected him if they felt they had to have him. In light of the departure of Keenan McCardell and Bucs injuries (Galloway, Jurevicius), Clayton has proven to be the “shining star” of this year’s draft IMO, exceptions to Ben Roethlesberger.

Clayton is having a stellar, productive year for the Bucs and his success is clear proof that he belongs at the pro level – and prolly will for the foreseeable future. At his current pace through the Monday night game, Clayton is on pace for 83 receptions for 1,181 yards. Not only would this be a Rookie Record for the Bucs, but they would stand as the fifth-best reception total and third-best yardage total in franchise history.

His absence from LSU may also explain some portion of the missing offensive firepower thus far in ’04.

Anyway, congrats and good luck to Clayton, he’s proven this fan wrong.

2. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Yah, MC is doing a helluva job in Tampa. He's got the kind of work ethic that you just knew he would succeed in whatever he wanted to do.

3. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

Good post, Cadillacattackackack! I never doubted his pro potential, and LSU misses him this year almost as much as they miss Matt Mauck getting the ball to him at the right time and in the right places...

4. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

All you need to look at is...

what the Bucs did with Keenan McCardell. McCardell was holding out for more money after a stellar 2003. The Bucs drafted Clayton knowing that McCardell would likely hold out and the debacle of the MeShawn Johnson situation. Once the Bucs realized what a gem they had in Michael Clayton they pulled off one of the smartest moves of the year by sending McCardell to San Diego and getting two draft picks for him. I don't think the Bucs would've been so eager to part with McCardell if Clayton hadn't developed into the player he has.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Good post Caddy, Clayton has surprised me as well, mostly with the speed he has developed since last season. He appears to be much quicker this year against better DB's than he faced in college. But I would have to say the star of the draft so far is Ben Roethlesberger. A QB coming in and doing what he has in his rookie year at the hardest position to play in sports is pretty impressive to say the least.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

By the way, this will be 2 years in a row that an LSU players is going to be one of the top 2 rookies in the league after what Double D did last season. I know he surprised a lot of NFL talent evaluators.

7. BB

BB Founding Member

Really and truly, Clayton could be the greatest Pro LSU Tiger Athlete of his generation. What a great fit for him and the Bucs. Great post Caddy, I'm always curious to know what others are seeing without the purple and gold shades...

8. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

I knew this guy would be a producer. I'm just surprised it's happened so soon. Everything I've read says they love him down there in TB. He seems very deserving. I hope he stays healthy. :thumb:

9. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Michael Clayton is making films now ? Wow the guy is really talented !

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

exactly. he may go down as the best tiger of all time. he is really that special. a much more physical version of jerry rice. No, Im not saying he will be as great a WR as rice ever was yet he may just come close.

caddy, nice job of sucking up. it worked.