I wonder if this Saban/Jag thing is true

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Jan 16, 2003.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I read the Dallas Morning news article on it, and the listed all the coaches interviewed and Sabans name was nowhere to be found....

I wonder if Saban will come out and tell the truth or did what he did last year and let the rumors fly ???

To be honest I really dont care if he did, He is still here and he said he is more committed to LSU then ever, so that is all I need.

2. CURT05

CURT05 Freshman

CANNOT UNDERSTAND

WHY A GROWN UP ,EDUCATED MAN WOULD LET THESE RUMORS HURT HIS RECRUITING EVERY YEAR AND NOT NIP THEM IN THE BUD AT THE BEGINNING OF RECRUITING SEASON.:confused:

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

I saw it on ESPN as well. It is probably true. I would have rather him have said in his "Baton Rouge is my home" speeach that he interviewed but it was not for him. Rather than have found out the day after that he did actually interview with the Jags.

4. He also acknowledged it happened in the Advocate this morning.

5. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers Founding Member

If you've been following the recruiting, it hasn't been hurt a bit by any of this "NFL Talk". Currently LSU's recruiting commentments rank #3 in the nation behind So. Cal and Texas, not bad. It happens every year, to many coaches. Don't fret it.:D

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

He did not "interview". He listened to what they had to say. There's a difference. No one can blame a man for listening. If he makes the first contact, then get worried. Otherwise, appreciate the fact that he's a desirable commodity. If you win the lottery, don't bitch about the tax.

7. CURT05

CURT05 Freshman

I HEAR WHAT YOU'RE SAYING

AND AGREE THAT THIS YEAR IT HAS NOT SEEMED TO BOTHER (AS WE ARE CURRENTLY RANKED #2) HOWSOMEVER: WHY PUT THE FANS THROUGH THIS EVERY YEAR. HE'S GOOD ,LETS KEEP HIM.:rolleyes:

8. eric d

eric d Founding Member

Who cares? They hired Jack Del Rio.

9. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

The whole Saban talking to Jacksonville thing reminded me a bit of the Godfather Part II scene when Michael Corleone confronts Tom Hagen about an offer with another family. I wonder if the following took place in Skip's office, with Saban and Brady present:

Skip: Nick -- sit down. Our friend Ron Zook is in the news. You hear about it?

Nick: Well I hear that he's in Gainesville.

Brady: Um-uh. The athletic department at Florida turned down his request to coach there. His coaching ticket's been invalidated except for return to the Saints. He landed in New Orleans yesterday. He offered a gift of a million dollars if they let him stay. They turned him down.

Nick: He's gonna try Kentucky.

Skip: Kentucky won't take him -- not for a million -- not for ten million.

Nick: His coaching ability's reported as terminal -- he's only gonna coach another season anyway.

Skip: He's been coaching the same way for ten years.

Nick: That plane goes to Miami.

Skip: That's where I want it met.

Nick: Skip, that's impossible -- they'll turn him over to the NCAA, the Florida students, and fireronzook.com.

Skip: It's not impossible. Nothing's impossible.

Nick: I'd be like trying to kill the president -- there's no way we can get to him.

Skip: Nick, you know you surprise me -- if anything in this life is certain -- if history has taught us anything -- it's that you can kill anybody. John?

Brady: Difficult -- not impossible.

Nick: Why did you ask me if something was wrong when I came in?

Skip: I thought you were going to tell me that -- you were going to move your family to Jacksonville -- and that you'd been offered the head coaching job there. I thought you were going to tell me that.

Nick: I turned them down -- do I have to tell you about every offer I turn down?

Skip: Let's do business.

Nick: Alright -- just consider this, Skip -- that's all just consider it. Now Phil Fulmer and Ron Zook are on the run -- are they worth it? And are they strong -- is it worth it -- I mean you've won five national championships -- do you have to wipe everyone out?

Skip: I don't feel I have to wipe everyone out, Nick -- just my enemies -- that's all. Now are you going to come along with me in these things I have to do -- or what. Because if not you can take your wife, your family, and your mistress -- and move 'em all to Jacksonville.

Nick: Why do you hurt me Skip -- I've always been loyal to you -- I mean what is this?

Skip: So -- you're staying at LSU?

Nick: Yes, I'm staying. Now what is it that you want me to do?

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Somebody needs to finish the Filmscript.

The LSU Godfather

Skip Bertman is the kingpin of LSU sports, and he'll stop at nothing to make his sports family the number one family in the NCAA syndicate of organized sports.

Nick Saban is Skip's capo di capi , i.e. the Underboss who oversees all of the other capos of the sports family.

I can see something like The Sopranos on LSU TV. While we're at it, let's invent: The LSU Channel. A new cable channel for LSU fans.

This is a great idea.