I won't bash Tenn on their board.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jean Lafitte, Sep 22, 2002.

1. msully

msully Founding Member

UT boards

The UT boards are closed this week I guess remolding

2. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

I went to UT board last year and it was like this one and I went to UT board about 5 min ago and they did something that is not user friendly.

ITS SO LOUD YOUR DEAF

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hey guys, its easy to say if I was coaching the Yankees, Lakers,
    Miami Hurricanes, ect. with all that talent I could just roll out the ball and win. A coach who wins title after title with superior talent gets no respect. How many times has Joe Torre been selected as Manager of the Year, or Phil Jackson or Pat Riley been NBA Coach of the year? The answer is Zero for all of them. PJ won 6 NBA titles with Michael Jordan and has won 3 more with the Lakers with Shaq & Kobe. Could he have gone from the Bulls to Golden State or the Grizzlies and done that. Of course NO WAY
    but look at it this way. Guys like Torre & Jackson make $3, $4, $5 million a year or whatever. Seems like a hell of a lot to us working stiffs but then they have to deal with players making a lot more $$$ than they get. Torre gets no respect from $18 million a year Derek Jeter or $19 million Jason Giambi and PJ has Shaq at $29 million and Kobe making a few gazillion more than his coach. These guys respect Jackson and Torre because they know how to earn the respect of young egomaniac multimillionaires and to get them to play within their systems. How well would any of us do if the employees who worked under us made 10 times as much money as we do? In college there isn't the same problem because the players make nothing! Ha Ha :) The only reason these kids from poor and middle class families are able to drive Corvettes & Beamers & Explorers is because of the money they make on their summer jobs. Right! Just like Lester Earl!

College football is a multi millon dollar entertainment industy just like the NFL. Does anybody think that teams like LSU, Florida, Miami, Nebraska, ect and especially Notre Dame with their own TV contract that they don't have to share with any conference members takes in less money per year than the Giants, Bears or 49ers? And the colleges don't have a $50 million a year payroll or whatever the NFL salary cap is now. If a college player so much as accepts a free meal from a booster or a plane ticket home to attend a parents funeral the NCAA Gestapo nails the school with big time penalties. The NCAA says it is ok for football players to make money from professional baseball in the off season (Matt Mauck, Jamie Howard, Chris Weinke) but the University of Colorodo has a freshman wide receiver who is also a world class skier. In order to be eligable for football he had to give up lucrative endorsement contracts that paid for his ski coaches, travel and all the other things that it takes to compete at that level in skiing. How fair is that? Because he lost his court case against the NCAA and then chose to give up his endorsment income to fulfill his lifelong dream of playing for the Buffalos he most likely won't be able to afford to pursue his skiing career and could cost the USA a medal in the next Winter Olympics

When I was a student at LSU I was able to earn enough to pay my living expenses by working. If I had had to do my schoolwork,
    work for a living AND play a major sport and put in the practice and training time it takes to excell at it I woulldn't have been able to do all of them. LETS END THE NCAA HYPOCRACY! Lets face it.
    Whether you like it or not major college football and basketball players are the entertainers in a multi million dollar industry that pays them nothing. I'm not suggesting that they be paid NFL or NBA type salaries but something fair and equitable could be worked out to pay them a reasonable stipend so they wouldn't have to be tempted to take money under the table just to make ends meet.

4. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

JEAN L., Top 5 coaches in the nation is a strong statement. Tennesse finishes in the top 5 in the nation on a regularly, in the top ten yearly. Fulmer is the man running the show. He puts it all together. Fulmer may not be in the top 5 but he is up there. Tennessee gets talent because of there program and Fulmer runs the program. The people that believe that Saban is the best coach in the SEC could be right. I hope he is. Saban has the same record as Dinardo at this time in thier LSU coaching careers. I believe Saban will be able to put it together this year, but he still has to prove hisself.

5. CrimsonBaritone

CrimsonBaritone Freshman

I think that TSTTN=Bama words for Tenn."That School To The North" and Auburn is That School Down The Road or TSDTR. We will almost never refer to them by their school name.
    Now as far as TSTTN's head coach. I think he is over rated alot of the time. He has alot of talent every year and every year it seems the only time he has his ducks in a row is for our game. Now I can't completely knock him though. He has brought TSTTN their greatest decade in college football. I've said this before and I'll say it now, There are three types of coaches in this world: 1. Rebuilding Coaches-only good at rebuilding teams. not coaching them once they are built. 2. Championship Coaches-only good at taking those rebuilt teams and turning them into champions. 3. All-round Coaches-can take a crap team rebuild it and then win with them.
    Of those three coaching catagories I believe that #1 is the most populated and #3 is very rare and hard to find.
    Just my two cents.
    Roll Tide and Geaux Tigers!!!!!!

6. Dixie Darlin

Dixie Darlin Founding Member

I think Nick Saban and Coach Franchione have brought class to the SEC. I like the way they handle themselves and the media. I also like the respect they have gained from the fans and the players. No doubt Phil Fulmer is a good coach, but he does have their heir of sophistication about him. I think LSU and Bama have good coaches that have also brought respect and class to our programs. So to make a long story short, IMO Saban and Franchione handle themselves in public alot better than some. This will surely bring good light to our programs.

7. Dixie Darlin

Dixie Darlin Founding Member

Sorry I boo booed that was supposed to be Phil Fulmer does not have an heir of sophistication about him.

8. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

OK, Tigerfan! You win . . .

You've convinced me that Phil Fulmer is one of the Top 5 Coaches in the SEC.

:)

9. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Jean L. what criteria are you using for coaching. I am looking at the wins vs lost column. Fulmer has an excellent record and it puts him #1 in the SEC at this time. LSU has a great deal of money bet on Saban and I hope he is the one. Saban has yet to prove it. Hell, Dinardo won with Curly's crew, but he couldn,t keep it together. (Lou Tepper took him down, that's another story)

I don't like Fulmer but his record is excellent. Last year when Fulmer and his players were at the college football awards and they showed him sitting there similing and laughing. Tennessee was blanked in the awards. When they announced Reed won and was practicing for the SEC Championship game I thought is was great. Then, as we know, LSU stuck it to 'em.

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Fulmer seems to underachieve, that's all.

If I were a Tenn fan, I would have expected to accomplish more by this time in Fulmer's tenure, that's all.

Example? Well, the man's record against Florida is dismal. You can't argue with that. Fulmer got outcoached by Zook. You can't argue with that, either.

My opinion won't change.

Let me ask you a question: If HC Saban retired tomorrow and you could pick anybody in the world to come coach the LSU Tigers, who would you pick? I doubt that you'll say "Big Phil Fulmer!"