Ice Chests

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Bengal B, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Anybody use a Yeti? How about you @jvalhenson They are supposed to keep ice from melting for several days. But they are super expensive. Ice is cheap. Before I leave to go fishing I buy 2 or 3 20 pound bags from a machine for $1.25 each. The Yeti pictured below cost $1300. Plus tax. I don't have one that big (They never give the size in quarts like most ice chests are measured? but it's supposed to hold 220 cans of beer + the ice. I suppose there are other brands available in that size for around $200. I have a 120 quart Igloo I got for $69 at the Academy and they gave me a 48 quart Igloo for free when I bought it. Even If I did want a Yeti I would be afraid it would get stolen real quick.
    upload_2017-6-28_13-51-55.png upload_2017-6-28_13-51-55.png

2. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

The 5 Day chests keep ice from melting for several days. I use marine ice chests and keep ice for several days.

As for the Yeti, I'd be pissed to have any ice chest stolen out of the back of my truck but I dam sure won't have an ice chest that someone can hit me that hard with the easy theft of something, imo, is NOT necessary. It's not like there aren't 20 lb bag ice machines all over the place now.

One thing I do love about them is you don't have to worry about some asshole sitting on the lid. The Marine grade ones are pretty stout too but those yeti's are stout.

jval is a low overhead guy so I'm betting he still has one of those old Coleman chests that his grandfather handed down.

Bengal B and el005639 like this.
  3. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Yeti is good for status......not much else. Lots of better cheaper ice chests out there. Fishing I use just igloos and Colemans unless I know we are going overnight or something. For my big boat fish box and overnight stuff I have a 200qt SSI cooler that I got for I think 50 bucks from a buddy who was manager of a west marine. Don't know how it was that cheap and didn't ask. I also have a 170qt Icey tek that I got for 5 dollars at a yard sale. Also use those 2 hunting to ice deer meat down in for a week or more. Day before Katrina I filled that SSI with ice......3 weeks later(didn't need the ice as they dropped off pallets at the community center daily so we used that first and kept what I had in the box in reserve) I finally opened the lid and it was still half full of ice. Now it was in the shade with a thick tarp laying over it and the lid was not opened at all in that time so that's not gonna happen getting drinks out putting fish in etc. even just overnight you don't need anything more than a Coleman or igloo if you aren't opening the lid a bunch. The fish i caught yesterday morning I had in a 70qt igloo with 30lbs of ice and I just cleaned em midday today still packed down in plenty ice

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Bengal B and Bayou Tiger like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have had cheap ice chests stolen out of the back of my truck a couple of times.

I have a 48 qt. chest that I picked up from some neighbor's curb where he was throwing it away as well as 2 tackle boxes full of lures, hooks, weights, bobbers and all kinds of stuff. Anyway the chest is pretty sturdy construction and I sit on it sometimes. I've had it for at least 10 years and it has lasted longer than any chest I ever bought. I would have to go look at it to say the brand but it's red with a white lid.

5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

That's why I got mine!

They come with pretty good locking system. They are good, but no where near worth the price differential.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Like I said before, I get 20 pounds of ice for $1.25

7. tigerbait3

tigerbait3 Freshman

I have a couple of yetis/rtics that I won - Id never buy one. My friend keeps one of them on the back of his boat and it makes a difference when youre on a boat for 5 days. I use the medium sized one to stand on when site fishing and it has a cushion that I use as a seat in the boat. However, 99.9% of the people dont need one if theyre just going to sit on a porch or in the back of a truck.

They do have a hole that lets you lock them up easily so they wont walk off.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Any boat you're going to be on for 5 days should be big enough to have a galley with a refrigerator.

LSUfan71 and Bayou Tiger like this.
  9. tigerbait3

tigerbait3 Freshman

Not really. When you have a family on-board, you arent storing hundreds of cans and bottles in a fridge. It is way easier to have an ice chest on the fly and in the cockpit that you can get to easily.

10. tigerbait3

tigerbait3 Freshman

Id forgotten about these until I saw one today. I mean, literally nobody needs this...`$250 for a bucket!
    [​IMG]