idea?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tocktick20, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

What a great money-making idea!!

I definitely like it.

But aren't the games copyrighted by the network that broadcasts the game?

2. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

i'd buy 5.....

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Re: What a great money-making idea!!

I think you are correct. I think though the schools can license the games for stuff like this for a % or flat fee. If it is small enough to still let LSU make a profit I wish they would do it.

4. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

I would pay good American dolars for any of the following games:

1958, LSU 7 Ole Miss 6 (Biggest game of the MNC year. I listened from my mother's womb!)
    1970, LSU 61 Ole Miss 17 (Archie Who was Tiger Bait!)
    1971 LSU 28 Notre Dame 8 (and it wasn't that close!)
    1972 LSU 17 Ole Miss 16 (great finish!)
    1976 LSU 6 Nebraska 6 (my first game as an LSU student!)
    1977 LSU 77 Rice 0 (Carlos Carson's coming out party!)
    1977 LSU 28 Ole Miss 21 (great comeback - my first LSU road trip without my parents!)
    1982, LSU 20 Alabama 10 (The game that made the Bear decide to retire. LSU really beat 'em worse than the score would indicate)
    1982 LSU 55 Florida State 21 (FSU, trying to build the program, had agreed to visit Tiger Stadium 5 consecutive years. And they had punked us on their first three trips. This FSU team was probably better than the first three, but the oranges were flying and the fog was rolling!)
    1986 LSU 35 Texas A&M 17 (Since I had just gotten an MBA from A&M, I went into the stadium saying that I would be neutral. But as soon as I saw the band's pregame, I was rooting hard for the Tigers!
    1988 LSU 7 Auburn 6 (Gotta have it just for the great finish)
    1988 LSU 19 Alabama 18 (Great game!)
    1993 LSU 17 Alabama 13 (Wasn't this the ONLY game Curley Hallman ever won?!)
    1997 LSU 28 Florida 21 (Great victory over #1 team)
    2001 LSU 30 Tennessee 21 (First SECCG!)

:geaux:

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: What a great money-making idea!!

I have never heard this during a college game broadcast but near the end of NFL game and MLB and NBA games they quote the disclaimer "Any transmission, reproduction or rebroadcast of this game without the express, written consent of the National Football League, FOX and its affiltiates is strictly prohibited"

6. SpringTiger

It was '71. I was there. LSU kicked the Irish butts up and down the field. The year before, LSU lost to Notre Dame, then ranked #2 and led by Joe Theisman, by a score of 3-0. The Tigers totally (well, almost) shut down a very potent ND offense, and that probably cost Theisman the Heisman (this was right about the time that his name started rhyming with Heisman!).

Less than one year before that, Notre Dame had cost LSU a Cotton Bowl appearance by suddenly reversing its long-standing self-imposed bowl ban. The Tigers finished 9-1, having blown out nearly every team on the schedule. The lone blemish was a three point loss at Ole Miss in which Cholly Mac eschewed a tying field goal with a minute to go and went for the win. But, because of Notre Dame, the Tigers did not go to a bowl game. I was 10 years old and I was devastated. I've hated Notre Dame ever since.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The year before was 1970 when Notre Dame's QB was Terry Hanratty, not Joe Theisman. Hanratty went on to compete for the Pittsburgh Steelers QB position with Terry Bradshaw before Bradshaw developed into the Hall of Fame QB he eventually became. I believe that 1971 was Theisman's first year as the ND starter.

8. SpringTiger

Sorry, Bengal B, but Joe Theisman was the runnerup for the Heisman in 1970, so he must have been the starter. I know that he definitely started against LSU on November 21, 1970 in South Bend. He was drafted in the 4th round by Miami in the 1971 draft, following the 1970 season. Hanratty graduated in 1968 and was drafted in the second round by Pittsburgh in 1969.

The following is from http://www.heisman.com/years/1970.html:

JIM PLUNKETT - STANFORD BACK

In three seasons with the Indians his total offensive records included most pass attempts, 962; most pass completions, 530; most net yards passing, 7,544; most touchdown passes, 52; most plays total offense, and most yards total offense are NCAA records. When he connected for 22 of 36 passes for 268 yards against Washington, he broke the career passing mark of 7,076 yards held by Steve Ramsey of North Carolina. After Rose Bowl heroics (leading Stanford over Ohio State in 1971, 27-17), Plunkett went on to the New England Patriots - as a number one draft choice - where he compiled a brilliant freshman record as starting quarterback passing for 2,158 yards and winning Rookie of the Year honors. He played in every Patriots game until injuries sidelined him in 1975. He was traded in 1976 to the '49ers and in 1980 went with the Oakland Raiders and quarterbacked the Raiders to two Super Bowl wins in 1980 and 1983 and was named the MVP of the 1980 match-up. He retired after a stellar 17-season Pro Football career and now has a Coors Distributorship in Stockton, California. Plunkett was named the First Recipient of the Leukemia Society of America's Ernie Davis Award. Jim is an avid tennis player.

The Voting

Runners-up
    Joe Theismann - Notre Dame
    Archie Manning - Mississippi
    Steve Worster - Texas
    Rex Kern - Ohio State