Ideas for a weekend road trip?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by wjray, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

@wrjay. It's Shark Week. You're a lawyer. Give you any ideas?

wjray, shane0911 and LSUDad like this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Has to be a contender for P.O.T.Y

4. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Only the second time I've heard or read that expression.

The first:

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I haven't done Branson, proper, but there is a beautiful resort called Big Cedar Lodge outside of Branson. It's sort of self-contained with swimming, boating on Table Rock Lake, and hiking. There is also the new Top of the Rock golf course there with two nice restaurants and a breath-taking view.

We were at Big Cedar for a couple of days in June and spent two days straight at the Devil's Pool--well--- swimming pool, swimming and getting drinks and food served from the restaurant next to it. Just gorgeous.

We also like Galveston. It has a very rich and interesting history, for one thing. Take some tours of Moody Mansion and Bishop's Palace. And also check out anything concerning the 1900 hurricane that killed 6000 people on the island. Stay at Moody Gardens--tour its rainforest and terrific aquarium. There are some cool pools at the resort, including a beach club. It's a good way to avoid the nasty beaches in Galveston (and if you do go to a beach, go past the seawall to the right on the island. The beaches are cleaner and nicer there.

About Hot Springs: we are owners at Hot Springs Village, just north of the city. I'd highly recommend renting a house or condo there for a weekend. There are 8 or 9 nice golf courses, a number of lakes, two of which have boats for rent for the day. There are also miles of great hiking trails. Then, you are also still close to Hot Springs to do a day on bath house row/historic district.

If you're into history/old homes, a weekend in Natchez could be fun.

I live in Dallas; there is a ton to do here for a weekend--though it's noticeably lacking in any natural beauty, unlike the other places mentioned. For just a weekend, I'd suggest staying in downtown Fort Worth, going to the great museums, taking in Sundance Square downtown, and spending a day/evening at the Stockyards. Near there is Joe T. Garcia's, a cash only restaurant. If you go there, you must sit outside on the gorgeous patio. They only serve enchiladas or fajitas. Their margaritas are terrific.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The White Elephant

7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

We took off on a vacation, 21 days, over 4,000 miles. Our first stop was Creede, Co, my Aunt and Uncle ran a campground there on the Rio Grande River, this is where it starts. From there we went to Grand Canyon, also saw Sedona. Camped on the strip in Las Vegas, from there we went a little North to Bryce and Zion Canyons. Passing through Lake Powell and Glen Canyon. Spent a few days in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Back into BTR after a few more stops. Got home and sold the camping trailer. Great trip.....oh, this is Creede, a great place to visit in the Colorado area. Too much to do.

http://www.creede.com/

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Grand Hotel in Point Clear. Easy drive and totally relaxing getaway. One of my favorite places.

The newly renovated Southern Hotel in downtown Covington. Only 42 rooms. From what I hear they did a fantastic job. We booked my parents a weekend there for Dad's 80th birthday coming up in September. My sister has eaten at the restaurant and had great things to say. You can probably walk there from your office.

southernhotel.com

tigerchick46 and LSUDad like this.
  10. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

I always like that place too.......the one bedroom cottages on the beach in Seaside FL are great too, a little pricey but one of my fav long weekend getaways.

LSUDad likes this.