If Auburn and Tuberville...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BigETigerFan, Oct 22, 2002.

1. BigETigerFan

BigETigerFan Freshman

...or should I say when LSU beats AU on the plains...will Tommy get the boot?

I hope not...I like the fact that he's running their program into the ground!

Big E says give Tuberville a 10yr extention!!!:D

2. chuck

chuck Founding Member

Tuberville running the program into .

the ground? Huh?

Yeah, the last two years top 10 recruiting classes are really running the program into the ground. So are the last 2 out of 3 SEC West Titles (while I'm not too proud of last years, we did get a trophy). So are the last two years bowl games.

And don't come back with those players aren't doing anything b/c they are all either sophomores (the select few like Carnell Williams) redshirt freshman, freshman, or being redshirted this year.

I think CTT will be around no matter what next year. However, the one fact I take solace in is that while he may lack gameday coaching skills, he is one heck of a recruiter, and that means if he leaves, the cupboard will not even be close to bare.

But those of us at Auburn appreciate your concern.

3. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

He also has no class and only looks out for himself. What is your record in the last 12 SEC games? To finish above .500 this year you will have to beat LSU, Georgia or Bama. Can you see that happening? I cannot see it. I would say that he is running the program in the ground. He has not handled the QB situation very well, game day situations well, or getting the team ready to play (Ex. Arkansas) I can see us losing a game, but I do not believe that our coach will have a team that is not focused and prepared for a game. We may lose one more, but we will not get blown out at home by an average team like you did.

4. chuck

chuck Founding Member

Is that right . . .

So LSU didn't get "blown out" last year by Florida? I understand where you are going, but if you are going to evaluate a coach, good or bad, you can't just pick the time period that most proves your point.

My biggest issue with CTT is that I don't think he responds "well' to post game questions. I agree that a coach should never place blame on a player, but in most cases, the reasons he gives for our losses are reasonable accurate. After Arkansas is quote was simple, "Its my fault, its all on me."

I have no problem giving him 1-2 more years, especially with the recruiting classes he brings in.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Recruiting classes are like fruit. You can't judge them until they ripen. Yours should do ok judging by the amount of fertilizer.

6. Gulf Coast Tige

Gulf Coast Tige Founding Member

But the team was prepared. We just got beat by a good football team. Can you say that this years Ark. team is in the same class that last years Florida team is? We got beat by a very good team while you got beat by an average team. Oh yeah, your record in the last 12 SEC games is 7-5. Very average. A Peach Bowl loss to add to that. We have won 12 of our last 13 games. Don't be suprised if we score 30 something points and you score in the teens. Our three SEC wins this year, 31-13, 36-7 and 38-14. Could be a problem for the kitties on the plains.

7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Hey Chuck,
    I enjoy hearing about your insight from the "enemy" perspective and the other recent AU posters here have handled themselves well also (much better than a couple of LSU posters on the Auburn forum).

I've certainly bashed Tubby many times in the past for various reasons but I'll leave that alone for now. Recruiting rankings are highly subjective. If you get the type of players you want, a #25 recruiting ranking can be just as good as a top 10. I would think that almost any coach at AU (other than a bargain type) could recruit well with the facilities, stadium, etc. that Auburn has. I think your point is that he should be allowed to see his first class graduate. I guess I buy that. However, giving him such high accolades for recruiting makes it sound like it's a surprise Auburn can get those types of players. Also, I realize he's making Saban type money so just think about the type of coach you could get for what you're paying. Now that I think about it, I hope he stays another year or two.

8. chuck

chuck Founding Member

lsu99 . .you make good points

1st off, no . .Arkansas this year isn't as good as Florida last year . .but last time I checked, we beat Florida last year. . . how can you say the team was prepared if they got beaten that badly? Were you not the SEC champions? Did you not have Reed and Davey and Faulk and James in that game? Something was wrong that game . .

I guess the first way I have to look at is that I wasn't an Auburn fan in the Dye years, so the only teams I have seen were coached by Bowden or Tuberville (not counting the brief Brother Oliver span). From talking to older alumni, the classes that CTT is bringing in are equal to those of Dye's . . great athletes that are big, fast, talented and have strong character. Also, just looking at some of these players and what they have already accomplished.

I certainly agree that I would rather be in the top 10 AP than the top ten in recruiting, but recruiting is the foundation of a team. My main point is that I think if we lose CTT (or fire) we will lose out in recruiting just b/c of the coaching turmoil. With our biggest recruiting competitor on probation, I don't think we want to do that. As far as game preperation, I just don't have a strong opinion on it as of right now, but I am sure I will by the end of the season.

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Re: lsu99 . .you make good points

Actually, no we didnt. Davey and Toefield both got hurt in the first half of that game.

SabanFan, that was great. Im gonna write that down.

10. chuck

chuck Founding Member

and that's why you lost?

?