If Bama pulls the upset this weekend, this could decide the West...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Oct 22, 2007.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

At least I think, despite little sleep last night due to some ****** up sinus medicine.

Let's consider that Auburn wins out by defeating Ole Miss, Georgia and Bama.

Let's consider (and I don't see this as a win today) Bama upsets LSU, beats Mississippi State and then loses to Auburn.

With the loss to Bama, LSU then returns to form against Ole Miss and Arkansas.

That would leave this if I'm seeing it right.

Auburn, out of the picture because of the two West losses. That would be 6-2 overall, 3-2 in the West.

LSU and Alabama having the same conference record, the same West record with 4-1.

Going to an exciting weekend...

2. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Except it's not this weekend, but the weekend AFTER this weekend. :)

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

True, Bama got on a roll two years ago and posted a 10-win record. It could very well happen one more, but then again . . . Bama hasn't managed to defeat LSU or Auburn for 4 or 5 years and those are the hurdles in the West Division. State ain't even automatic anymore.

Bamafans are very optimistic and talking upset, but it must not be forgotton that Bama has played ONE ranked team and lost . . . at home. Then they lost to an unranked team. LSU has played FIVE ranked teams and lost one--in triple overtime . . . on the road in the SEC. I wouldn't bet the old home place on the Tide, Terry.

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Exactly what I was going to say. While it is realistic to say Bama could win the West, it is also realistic they could drop 3 out of the final 4.

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I NEVER bet on Bama. And, like I've said I don't think we'll come out this weekend with a win. It won't be a blowout as some suspect.

Just musing this morning...

2 of the next 4, I could see. Talk to some of the players BEFORE the MSU game and gauge what their attitude is about this one. Not before our game though... :lol:

I brought this thread up thinking about pre-season prognostications, and some this year, about last weeks game deciding the West. Mississippi State changed that that storyline completely.

Damn, great SEC year...

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Tennessee was ranked, no?

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

This is true. LSU is also in need of a statement game and I expect it to come at the hands of Bama. Yes, it's true the Florida and Auburn wins were huge, but both were also at home and close.
    LSU needs to step it up and start putting their signature on some games.
    In some respects, the SEC is holding LSU back.
    LSU has the only signature out of conference win this year... and that was VT. We thought the Kentucky win over Louisville was "right up there" until Louisville became an imposter. Tennessee lost at Cal, Bama lost to Florida State, Mississippi State got wasted at home by West Virginia, Auburn lost at home to South Florida, South Carolina struggled with North Carolina... and Florida won't be challenged ooc until FSU... and the Gators defense is nowhere close to last year. The SEC is a meager 5-5 ooc against other BCS league teams.
    LSU needs a game where they stomp somebody.
    .... just like Ohio State needs to lay one on Penn state if they want to solidify the voters...

8. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

The winner of the LSU/Bama game will most likely go to Atlanta. Since the winner holds a one game and head-to-head advantage, the loser will need the winner to lose two more conference games in the final three weeks. Not likely imo. This game is for the SEC West.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Yes. It's one game that I think goes to show how this team has progressed if you think about UA vs UGA going to OT, UT running all over UGA...

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

lsu doesnt need a statement game. if they win out and win the seccg, thats a statement. OhioSt nor BC will have a resume close to LSUs if this happens.

its unreasonable to expect a team to have more than one nonconf marquee win. what big boys play more than one big nonconf oppt?

looking at the sec ooc is misleading. struggling doesnt really matter unless its so loopsided like Wisc vs Citadel (especially when NC beat the U). USF is a top team---you would expect them to beat a middle of the pack SEC team. same goes for Mizzou, Cal and WV, you would expect them to beat OM, UT and MSU. the matchups only have value if the dog wins or the teams are perceived to be even--like bama/fsu.

so, to date its 1-1 (bama loss to fsu and lsu over vt). we'll know more after games against GaTech and Clemson

1 person likes this.