If Dandy Don is right ...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LoyalBengal, Jan 3, 2010.

1. LoyalBengal

LoyalBengal Founding Member

He suggested that the only way to force a coaching change would be for ticket orders to drop off. Can we really expect that to happen?

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

It will if we don't win. Look at the 90's.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i agree. but the balance is, as nootch has pointed out in another thread, who you get rid of, timing (contract wise), and who you can (or cant) land can be equally as risky.

fire miles too soon and no one worth anything will want to come here. retain miles AND the assts we have now and the program may already spiraling down. the wrong move either way and it could take years (or decades) to recover. its a tightrope to either way.

that is why i think that the best solution right now is to get rid of gc, hopefully surround miles with top notch assistants, and hope for improvement.

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

yep.

another point is that i don't think that ticket sales would drop off that quickly. and what is considered a "drop-off"? 60-70K in the stands? hate to say it, but LSU gets almost that few in the stands with weak OOC games when it gets "cold." miles' contract is through 2011. i don't think people will all of a sudden stop going to the games that soon.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

People are not going to stop going to games where we win 10 games a season . . . or even 8 or 9. Why should they? They will stop going when we win 6 or less, the 90's showed that.

6. OkieTigerTK

thats what i mean by downward spiral. and we dont want that because when it gets to that point its hard to dig out. thats why its a tightrope, imo.

which is why i believe the way nootch does in the terms of firing miles. we saw what happened when lsu fired cholly mac. it took decades to dig out. bama went through a series of "not so great" coaches. ou did after the fired gibbs, because gibbs wasnt switzer. its kinda one of those "be careful what you ask for".

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

It's a gamble. There are more sources of entertainment now than in the 90's. In addition the economy, unless there is a big turn around, may force people to find a cheaper hobby, especially when they are being frustrated more than entertained. I know there will be less LSU memorbilia purchased if things remain the same.
    I saw a post on some board that the fan was embarrassed to wear his hat in Dallas because of the kidding he takes about Miles.

Of course here in Tennessee, :insane: fans are still looking up to LSU. :wink:
    I can still wear my LSU hat with pride.

8. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

I mentioned it a month or so ago, and still think it is the most visible show of displeasure a fan can perform. I don't expect it to happen on a large scale because the majority of fans still support the team and Miles. We all have our preferences, complaiints, and such, but it didn't stop anyone from watching the game against Penn State. I think it will happen in big numbers only if we have a bad losing season, like 4-8.

9. OkieTigerTK

fair weather fan. in oklahoma, both ou and osu fans hate miles and the snottiness is only worse. but i still wear my colors. (my father pretty much had to referree christmas dinner between me and my sister.)

sounds like someone needs thicker skin.

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Then, this person is either a child or a p***y or both. I wear my colors in Dallas all the freakin time. And no one says chit about Miles. Believe it or not, most of these folks don't follow us that closely in order for us to be a joke in Texas.

2 people like this.