If He is Elected, Who Will Pay for Kerry's Haircuts

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by marcmc99, Aug 17, 2004.

1. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Will his wife foot the bill, or will our tax dollars?

http://www.nydailynews.com/08-17-2004/news/col/story/222786p-191398c.html

Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry likes to style himself as the candidate of working folks, while scissoring President Bush as the protector of the rich.
    "We have to bring back an America that values work and honors working people, day in and day out," Kerry urged in a recent stump speech.

But when every campaign stop is a photo op, even a man of the people needs a high-quality haircut.

I hear that when Kerry was in Portland, Ore., last weekend preparing to windsurf on the Columbia River Gorge, he flew his Washington-based hairstylist, Isabelle Goetz, across the country to give him a camera-ready trim.

A knowledgeable source told me that the French-born Goetz - who tends the Massachusetts senator's mane while also caring for Sen. Hillary Clinton's coiffure - caught up with the candidate in Portland on Friday (after flying commercial, I'm told), trimmed his luxuriant salt-and-pepper locks and then returned to Washington the same night.

But because of light breezes on Saturday, Kerry's windsurfing photo op never came off.

It was unclear yesterday how much the haircut cost, or who paid: the husband of Heinz ketchup heiress Teresa Heinz Kerry or the Kerry campaign. Kerry communications director Stephanie Cutter didn't respond to my detailed E-mail and voice-mail messages.

Goetz - who's a popular and busy woman in the Washington salon of celebrity-stylist Cristophe - told The Washington Post three years ago that she typically charged Kerry $75 for a haircut. But that 2001 fee would not have included a last-minute round-trip plane ticket (today around $1,450 for a coach seat on American Airlines) or a whole day of Goetz's valuable time.

Goetz didn't respond to detailed messages left on her home and cell phones. Cristophe - who also operates a high-end salon in Beverly Hills and recently opened another one in Las Vegas - likewise didn't return phone calls.

In May 1993, the Belgian-born Cristophe was caught in a messy political tangle when The Washington Post reported that he had boarded Air Force One, which was parked at Los Angeles International Airport, to give President Bill Clinton a trim.

Back then, there were reports that the notorious haircut-on-the-tarmac caused delays in commercial air traffic.

But yesterday there was no evidence that Kerry's haircut made anyone late.

http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2004/04/28/20040428_042203_rcig.htm

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX TUE APRIL 27, 2004 12:59:04 ET XXXXX

$1000 HAIRCUT? KERRY FLIES IN HAIRDRESSER FOR TOUCH-UP BEFORE 'MEET THE PRESS'

**Exclusive**

On the Friday before his MEET THE PRESS appearance, Dem presidential hopeful John Kerry flew his Washington, DC hairdresser to Pittsburgh for a touch-up, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.

Cristophe stylist Isabelle Goetz, who handles Kerry's hair issues, made the trek to Pittsburgh, campaign sources reveal.

"Her entire schedule had to be rearranged," a top source explains.

A Kerry campaign spokesman refuses to clarify if Goetz flew by private jet on April 16 or on the official Kerry For President campaign plane.

The total expense for the hair touch-up is estimated to be more than $1000, insiders tell DRUDGE.

One source suggests the hairdresser was flown to Pittburgh on Teresa Heinz Kerry's 'Flying Squirrel', a Gulfstream V private jet.

[The 'Flying Squirrel' is worth about $35 million. A deluxe model; plasma TV, two bathrooms, fancy mahogany and burlwood paneling, gold-plated fixtures.]

"Senator Kerry thinks Isabelle does a superb job," a campaign source said.

Goetz grew up in a small town in eastern France. She also does Hillary Clinton's hair.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I'll say this much for Kerry's hair......... Whoever is giving him his haircut should be fired. He may as well grow a mullet.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I didn't think he ever got a haircut. :shock:

4. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

obsession..

5. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

I prefer to call it boredom at work. Whatever you want to call it, it gets me through the day.