If Israel Bombed Iran...Would U.S. Attack?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Cajun Sensation, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

If Iran did that, the gloves come off, their Navy and Air Force disappear, and we have a far bigger decision on our hands - severe spanking? Or impose more.

2. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I thought we had a mutual protection treaty with Israel. If they were attacked, we would be treaty bound to enter.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

ahh nvm I can't find any mention of a Treaty, but it appears we do have a Memorandum of Agreement on defense.

CNS - US-Israel Memorandum of Agreement

4. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I'm really starting to believe that Iran really isn't much of a threat to us at all, aside from being a nuisance. We have no reason to go to war with them, unless they were to be retarded (and I don't think they will) and attack us or our military first.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Exactly. Iran is no real threat to us. They don't want a war with the US. Saddams Law states that when you are the ruler of a medium-sized third world country, it takes a special kind of incompetence to maneuver yourself into a shooting war with the United States. What Iran seeks is parity with the other regional powers--India, Pakistan, and Israel--all of which are nuclear armed. THAT is who they are trying to deter, not us.

It should never be forgotton that Ahmanutjob's rhetoric is for domestic consumption. Iran has a ton of problems but the place is fervently nationalistic. Whenever the Iranians start bitching about their inflation, election fraud, oppressive government, economy, etc., he makes a rant about Israel or America as a diversion. Third work dictators are all talk and no action.

If Iran had a nuke they wouldn't use it for the same reason the Russians never used theirs -- massive instant retaliation. As it is they have no nukes nor a delivery system either.

They are on the brink of counter-revolution anyway with most of the population under 28 and feeling more modern than the revolutionary generation now in charge. The best thing we can do to let this happen is NOT to make war upon Iran. This would make them all nationalistic to defend their country. This is what happened in Iraq and it was a blunder.

The best thing we can do is to isolate Iran diplomatically and culturally and let the disagreements within simmer some more until they boil over. The islamist hold on power in Iran is tenuous. We need to be playing all sides against each other to divide them and not drive them together to resist us. Ahmadinejad could be voted out of office and replaced by another moderate. Another revolution could happen.

Right now sanctions, condemnation, military posturing and veiled threats are more valuable than military action. The best scenario is for Iran to collapse internally, like the Soviet Union did. This is what we should be trying to covertly encourage.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

unless they are taking it out on their own people. everytime i see that video of that poor Iranian girl who was in the street when the protests were going on over the elections, and got shot and bled out, it saddens me.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We are not the world's policeman. The Iranian people have to take matters into their own hands. Democracy only comes from within. They have to want it and be willing to fight for it, it cannot be given to them by outsiders.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

yep, i totally agree with you on that one, it still sucks though, she was a beautiful young lady.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

the problem i have with iran having nuclear materials is passing them off to terrorists. or in the event of a second revolution, chaos and unsecured sites leading to terrorists sympathizers/organizations getting their hands on it.

everything i have read so far (and pardon me if i dont remember the exact or proper language/terminology) states that the grade of nuclear materials iran is developing exceeds what is needed for energy, but is weapons grade material.

they may not use it themselves, but i dont trust them not to pass it off to those that will.

10. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

They don't need a nuclear weapon to "pass it off" they could easily just buy one from somewhere else and then "pass it off".

Your argument doesn't work.