If the lawyers in the Slavery Reparations case don't get sanctions, they may.........

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUBud, Jan 27, 2004.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

you dont really believe reparations will be passed by any court. i know you dont.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Reparations could have been given to living slaves during reconstruction. 40 acres and a mule was promised and should have been paid. The United States had plenty of land and mules were cheap. It would have made the slaves landed and given them the means to work the land. But the moment was lost and is gone forever.

My idea of reparations is that every American that was a slave should be paid $250,000 (or pick a number). Every American that owned a slave should be fined $250,000. Since they are all dead, the net exchange will be ZERO.

Descendants of slaves (12% of the population) are owed nothing. They were never slaves. Descendants of slave-owners (about 5% of the population, it is estimated) owe nothing. They never exploited anybody. And the 83% of the population that are descendents of neither, SURE AS HELL owe nothing.

Now, there are living black persons who were victims of Jim Crow laws and segregation as well as white persons who exploited those situations. But the reparation for Jim Crow is Affirmative Action, which has been in place for 40 years.

The Jim Crow laws lasted for 80 years. Affirmative action should last 80 years and then the playing field will have been leveled, the victims will mostly be dead, and we can finally get rid of the last legal racial discrimination still in the law.

3. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

I didn't believe the Supreme Court would find a right to buggery in the Constitution.
    I didn't believe the Supreme Court would find diversity, an invention of academia, would be found to be a compelling government interest.
    Now I'm not going to wager on this reparations issue.
    After all, I may need to save up my money in case Justice O'Connor decides I owe some.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

all of that nonsense aside, you do not believe that reparations will ever be passed. you are aware that it will never cost you a dime.

i hereby swear that if reparations are passed and i ever have to pay a dime i will take up arms against the government.

5. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

I wish it was nonsense.
    In fact, I figured it would be found to be nonsense, but both were decided otherwise by the O'Connor Court.
    Nothing was passed as far as buggery being made legal, the Supreme Court legislated on its own.
    The same could happen with reparations.
    Quite conceivable that no legislature would pass a reparations bill, in fact I seriously doubt Congress would.
    But, that doesn't mean the O'Connor Court wouldn't decide that it was a Constitutional issue, or right as they much prefer.
    7 of the 9 Justices were nominated to the Court by so-callled conservative Republicans.
    They are the most liberal Supreme Court ever.
    If academia and other elites such as the Fortune 500-types get behind reparations, it is you being nonsensical to believe that reparations are an impossibility.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i realize that you are not insane enough to think that the courts would make white people pay reparations. you are only discussing it to mention your personal politcal issues with the court, specifically with "buggery".

7. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Jackpot! We have a winner, and I doubt he knows he bought a ticket.
    Keywords: Political issue.
    I would suggest you put aside your political tastes and really analzye some recent Court decisions.
    Don't ask yourself how you would vote on the issue if it was on a ballot or you were in a legislature.
    Ask yourself, where in the Constitution are these decisions coming from?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I am willing to pay $1 million dollars in reparations for every slave that me, my father, grandfather or great grandfather ever owned. Lets see. That comes out to zero.

I'll also pay $1 million dollars to every living American who was at one time a slave. That comes out to zero too.

9. JD

JD Founding Member

What about people living off of the largesse of slavery-take a drive down St Charles Avenue, or into Avoylles Parish or any number of places.

I don't think it's a great idea, it would be an administrative nightmare, but direct descendants of slaves might have a case.

After all, do we limit tort damages only to victims who lived? I don't think so-they are paid to survivors.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Where ya been JD? Sure there are descendants of wealthy slave owning families still around today. If there were any former slaves or former slave owners still alive today I would be all for the former slave owners having to pay everything they owned to the former living slaves. But even if tort damages are payable to survivors who is liable for paying them? Does the same corporate structure of the slave owning plantations still exists today or has it been morphed several times through mergers and aquisitions? And how many actual "survivors" are still alive? Does it count for a survivor of a survivor? Is a 50 year old business owner who owes his wealth to the lineage from wealth passed down from his slave owning ancestors liable for the sins of his forefathers? Is a 4th generation descendant of a slave entitled of be paid by the descendants of those who sinned against his forefathers by the descendants of the forefathers who sinned against them?

If that is the case where is my check? As was posted by G_Man113 on this thread:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My ancestors were forced to leave Canada by the British in
    the 18th century...does this mean I have a case for reparations against the British government?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------