If the lawyers in the Slavery Reparations case don't get sanctions, they may.........

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUBud, Jan 27, 2004.

1. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Calm down my legal friend.
    I'm sure Justice O'Connor will meet with the India Supreme Court as she did on the racial preference case.
    I'm sure O'Connor, Breyer and Ginsburg will seek the advice of Jacque Chirac as they did the death penalty cases.
    I'm sure Justice Kennedy will consult UN Resolutions as he did with the buggery case.
    Until the UN, Jacque Chirac or the European Union annouce their support of reparations, that the issue is moot.
    All of the stars have not aligned as of yet.
    To date, it is not a Constitutional Right.
    The EU, UN and Chirac have not interpreted to say so as of yet.

2. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

I cant believe you said that load of crap that American slavery saved blacks. If stacking blacks one by one on a ship, shoving them together, leaving them in their own puss and crap, dieing one by one, throwing the dead overboard, then putting them in chains, forcing them to plow fields, have sex with their masters like concubines, and the other horrible acts done were saving blacks, well, im wrong. Reparations are justly deserved after the discrimination inflicted on blacks for over 200 years, but they shouldn't be monetary. Affirmative Action is reparations and also are other minority programs. The U.S. government has a lot of making up to do for blacks.

3. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

So much for INDIVIDUAL rights and liberties - not to mention the Constitution.

The U.S. government doesn't owe us (NOR ANYONE) a THING. It's this kind of "thinking" that is RUINING this country.

Should all Judeo-Christians go back and demand reperations from Egypt?

It's LUDICROUS AND RACIST to suggest.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yes, slavery was a horrible injustice. But reparartions to who? If there were any living former slaves I would be all for it. Giving the great great grandson of a slave job preference or college admissions preference just because he happens to be black is an injustice to everone else.

5. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

So, you're saying that the situation many blacks are in today has nothing to do with the fact blacks were denied the rights to education and good jobs just as recent as 30 years ago. Also, racism still exists in college admissions as well as in employment opportunity and in numerous other places just look at the University of Northwestern(ILL) race study. The playing field is not equal and until it is programs like affirmative action are needed.

6. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

Okay, so what about my family? Yeah, I'm white.

Back in the late 1700's and early 1800's my relatives were servants (slaves) to another family in West Virginia. They eventually were "freed" when the family that owned them had a son who sympathized with Lincolns views. When he freed his slaves he gave them each a piece of land in W. Virginia which my great great great grandfather sold to move his family to Monroe, La., actually Monroe was as far as they could get.

My relatives were chosen to come over here from England. They weren't asked, they were taken.

If checks are gonna be shelled out, expect to have some white folks in there like me.

7. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

You're SADLY mistaken. Look at the number of SUCCESSFUL blacks. And, where were in 1973 - I was sitting next to a black kid in class.

The problem is that you are looking at everything from a RACE standpoint. Why is it that Jessie Jackson's kids need Affirmative Action to get into college or grad school? They've already had the best of everything.

I was fortunate enough to get into a extremely selective grad school. And, what you'll find at most of these institutions are RICK black kids who have had every educational advantage to be offered. Of all the black kids in my class (coincidently enough - Michigan Law School), there was only one kid (Jerry) who truly grew up poor. And, guess who he hung around with??? Me and another friend, Jim Hooper. We all grew up relatively poor (compared to our classmates), and we had more in common with Jerry than our richer black classmates.

You see, the fault in your analysis lies in your RACIST views of looking at INDIVIDUALS.

I'm ALL FOR Affirmative Action - FOR POOR PEOPLE.

If A.A. was set up correctly, it would be poor kids (white AND black) taking the place of RICH kids (white AND black).

But, the powers that be WOULD never go for that. Why do you think that George Bush had HIS Justice Department write a amicus curie brief to the Supreme Court IN FAVOR OF Michigan's Affirmative Action program???

It's because of ONE THING - Bush realizes that if Affirmative Action was set up correctly, it would have been him and Al Gore who would have had their spots taken away by Affirmative Action. But, those types will make sure that they (and their kids) ALWAYS get their spots.

After all - WHAT IS AFFIRMATIVE ACTION at its core???

It's nothing more than an "excuse". Plain and simple. It excuses someone from not scoring as high on a test or getting a certain GPA from a certain school.

And, ANSWER THIS HONESTLY - does that have more to do with your socioeconomic upbringing or your race?

If you answer RACE, then you are a RACIST.

Let's go back to Jessie Jackson's kids. They went to some of the most exclusive prep schools in the country. They never had to work a day in their lives (like their dad). Why is it that they should have a HUGE advantage in admissions over a poor white kid who had to work his way through school???

And, make no mistake - it is a HUGE advantage. It is THE determining factor.

And, there's also another "neat" little advantage of leaving Affirmative Action as it is - those in the Ivory Towers can sit back and pat yourselves on the backs (pretending that you are helping a bunch of underpriviledged black kids) while never having to actually deal with kids "from the other side of the tracks".

Affirmative Action is RACIST. It is CLEARLY Unconsititutional. And, the fact that Sandy Baby thinks that it will somehow be Unconstitutional in another 25 years shows you how LUDICROUS the Affirmative Action argument is.

BTW, a white classmate came up to me after graduation and told me that he was really glad that I went to Michigan. He said that I (a southern white male) added MORE DIVERSITY to the class and made him think more about the issues discussed than ANYONE ELSE in the class.

Interesting, HUH???

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

My ancestors were forcibly ejected from their homes in Canada in the 1700's. They ended up in Louisiana where they had to wring out a meager existence from the humid, mosquito infested swamplands just to put a bite of food in their mouths. My maternal grandfather died in 1974 at the age of 82 but even at the age of 80 he still made his living by fishing, shrimping, trapping fur bearing animals and working as a duck hunting guide.

Was he discriminated against and oppressed? In a way, yes because he was never made to go to school and never learned to read and write the English language. Did he ever bitch about it and claim that the govenment owed him a check? Hell No! He did get a small govenment check as a World War I veteran. Not nearly enough to live on.

There are millions of Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Polish-Americans, Hispanic-Americans and others whose ancestors faced discrimination and were denied access to occupational and educational opportunities because of discrimination against them as an ethnic group.

THERE IS NOT A SINGLE AMERICAN ALIVE TODAY WHO IS DISADVANTEGED NOW BECAUSE OF ANYTHING THAT HAPPENED 100 OR MORE YEARS AGO!!

Nobody deserves any special consideration based only upon the color of their skin or their ethnic background.

9. JD

JD Founding Member

Bud, you're making excuses-what does AFrica have to do with anything? Name a place in the western world where slavery was practiced in the mid-19th century- you can't because there isn't one.
    Now equating slavery with affirmative action? That is morally repugnant.

Discrimination was not only legal in this country but REQURIED in some cases until 40 years ago-to suggest that after being cheated out of education, money etc that the simple ending of a law takes care of all problems is ridiculous. Affirmative action is not quotas

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

now we hit the nail on the head. affirmative action, and so many things like it, are reasons for white liberals to feel good about themselves.