If the lawyers in the Slavery Reparations case don't get sanctions, they may.........

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUBud, Jan 27, 2004.

1. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

WHat is ABUNDENTLY CLEAR is that the strive for DIVERSITY.

Unfortunately, they seek Diversity of Sight (where all the different colors of the rainbow are represented) instead of Diversity of Thought - which is what they fraudulently represented to the Supreme Court (and which the SCt. bought with "a wink and a nod") they were seeking.

Sure, there is a nice "pretty" campus with all the colors represented. But, make no mistake about it, the campus is in NO WAY intellectually diverse.

When I was at Michigan, I made the comment in class (two days before finals during the semester I was to graduate) that I thought it should be O.K. for a lawyer to use his peremptory jury challenges based upon a prospective jurors race. A case had just been issued which "banned" attorney's from using their peremptories (even in CIVIL suits) with race as a motive. I was going to go on and state that if I represented Marion Barry (O.J. Simpson hadn't killed Nicole at this point), I would look to knock off EVERY white (i.e., Georgetown) juror who showed up in the jury pool. But, before I could get the Marion Barry analysis out, a black girl in class made a big spectacle of herself, called me several names (including a "cracker" and "racist" and stormed out of the class.

Later that day, I got a letter from the Dean stating that she wanted to bring formal charges against me for "harassment" under the Michigan Law Made definition of harassment (which has since been thrown out by a U.S. District Court). I had to go see the Dean the next day. The Dean said that they were going to let me go "with a warning". Since it was so close to my graduation, they weren't going to do anything, HOWEVER, I should know that if I wasn't graduating that they would have sent me to "Sensativity Training" courses due to my "racist" statements in class.

I became extremely beligerent and told the Dean, "TRUST ME, I'm the LAST person you would want in your little BRAINWASHING classes. I said NOTHING that could be considered 'racist" and I'm thinking about suing you and this school for even IMPLYING that I did."

The Dean became "less emphatic" and tried to explain that he merely meant that the law school "frowns upon" and will not condone students who STEREOTYPE others based upon their race.

Uhhmmmmm ... by adopting this new "Diversity" standard, isn't that EXACTLY what Michigan Law is doing?

They're assuming that because you are a certain race that you'll be from a certain background and will have a certain inate thought process????

I guess the Dean should have clarified that there can be "good STEREOTYPING" (when people of their ilk do it) and "bad STEREOTYPING" (when a perceived "conservative" does it).

2. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Bud, is this the same Dean that has since moved on, in a sort of promotion, to an Ivy League School?
    I saw a Michigan Law School Dean on 60 Minutes who used the example of the issue of crack cocaine as a reason it was important to have black people in the classroom.
    I thought to myself when he said that, that if I had said that in the classroom, as in *you are black, tell me about crack cocaine*, that I would be considered a racist, and probably that would be a racist comment.
    Yet this Dean said it blatantly and was obviously rewarded for that comment in the current higher university setting.
    I think that is a sad commentary, but that is the status quo for most university administrations.
    I heard the Dean or President of St. John's University commenting on the basketball/rape/prostitute scandal involving members of the team, the Dean/President used the word *element* in criticizing the actors.
    The usual left-wing suspects on campus got their panties in a wad over the use of the word element since all 3 players were black and the Dean/President apologized profusely the next day.
    I suggest he should have come out with a quote afterwards stating something along the lines of *the incident is being investigated, but in no way does that change our devotion to diversity*. Had he said that, although the message was clear, he would have been praised instead of criticized.
    Just using the word diversity in a university setting is golden.

3. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

No. The Dean you are referring to is Dean Bollinger (or, as we use to refer to him "Dean Surferboy" - he looked like a middle aged Robert Redford and wore a blazer and running shoes to the Law School EVERY day). He went on to become President of Dartmouth, but has since returned to be President of the University of Michigan (the entire school).

The Dean you saw on 60 minutes was Dean Lehman. He was one of the youngest Deans ever appointed as a Dean for a law school. As I recall from my latest edition of the "Law Quadrangle" (the bi-monthly alumni magazine) He's since returned to his alma mater to become President of Cornell.

The Dean I was referring to was the "acting" Dean of Students, Ed Cooper - the DEFINITION of pencil neck geek. He looks incredibly like the baloon headed teacher from Southpark who's always saying "O --- KAY".

Incidentally, the Dean Bollinger, the Dean of the Law School during my time there, was suppose to be a "Freedom of Speech" expert. He wrote several books on it. Ironically, he wrote the Michigan Harassment Code which was thrown out as being UNCONSTITUTIONAL by a U.S. District Court judge. It was SO BAD that the University didn't even appeal the decision. One of the "examples" given of "harassment" which would lead to an automatic expulsion was (paraphrasing) --

IF A STUDENT HANGS A CONFEDERATE FLAG IN HIS ROOM, AND SUCH CONFEDERATE FLAG IS OR CAN BE SEEN BY SOMEONE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE STUDENTS ROOM, THEN THIS IS CONSIDERED HARASSMENT SUBJECT TO AUTOMATIC EXPULSION.

It apparently didn't matter if this was a Univ. of Michigan dorm room OR a private apartment or house located in Ann Arbor. If you displayed a confederate flag, you would be automatically expelled.

Dean Bollinger was late for our "orientation". The Asst. Deans kept "buying time" and making excuses. He finally showed up, walked down the aisle in his blazer and running shoes, walked straight up to the podium (without really being introduced) and stated (again, paraphrasing):

"You may think you have the Constitutional right to wear racist propaganda or even a KKK hood to class. But, if you do, I will kick you out of school. Yeah, SURE, you may be able to get back in, HOWEvER, you'll have to spend the next three years of your life out of law school fighting it, because I will not let you back in pending the courts ruling."

He went into a little more detail, but didn't deviate from his message. He didn't "welcome" us or "congratulate" us. Apparently, he had just been informed that the Harassment Code that he authored was being contested in Court and he was PISSED.

I KID YOU NOT!!!

4. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Some interesting stories, but none suprise me.
    My background is in accounting and management and don't have any similar stories to share as far as political correctness run amok as you do with the law school.
    But there is no doubt that the path to success in higher education administration is to perfect the diversity rhetoric as finely as possible.
    I really believe what gives these guys cover is the athletic program.
    I know that sounds strange, but I believe the average Michigan or LSU alumni or fan cares 10x more about the success of the football or basketball team than what the President and Deans are doing.
    Let the coach lose 2 games and the gallery is in an uproar, let these Presidents and Deans recite the most absurd pablum possible and they get promotions and praise from their peers and the general public has not a clue.
    And your free speech antectode is rich. That is the banner these types wrap themselves in at any hint of criticism, yet as you point out, with their speech and harassment codes at the university level, they are the greatest purveyors of anti-free speech.

5. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

I'm confused about this reparations deal! Do all blacks get money or just blacks of African descent. Do black descendents of African slave-traders and slave owners get money or just descendents of Africans slaved in the American colonies and how do you tell the difference. Do blacks from any continent recieve money even if their ancestors arrived after slavery was abolished? What about descendents of black American slave-owners? Do they get paid to? I am raising a bi-racial boy. Does he get a full check or just half a check? Do I get some kind of credit to my account because of him or do I have to pay the full amount? Do I have to pay the same amount as white descendents of slave owners since my ancestors worked in their own fields and owned no slaves? Do I get something in compensation for my Irish ancestors who were subjegated to slave labor upon arrival in the new world? Does a elderly white widow who fled Europe during the Great War and living in poverty on SS have to send Michael Jordan, Jesse Jackson, or Will Smith a reparations check? How do we tell who is who? If skin color is the only qualification, I'm hitting the tanning bed.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

OK M.O.M. This has been bugging the hell out of me. Hit "quote" then post.:cuss: