If the QB play doesn't improve over the summer

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Mar 28, 2010.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

i didn't watch all of the spring game since i was listening/watching baseball, but what i did see looked like stout defense. how much does that factor into the offensive woes?

also, with the teams split the way they were, maybe miles had it planned out to see some very specific things.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Thought this was interesting. Someone will have to check the facts.

"On a closing note, if this new-found commitment to the running game holds up (and after last season I really think the if remains a big caveat so long as Crowton is around), the offense will be fine. Matt Flynn led the highest-scoring offense in LSU history with a passer-rating that was 10 points lower than Jordan Jefferson's in 2009. The difference was a dramatically (as in almost 100 more yards per game) improved rushing attack. If LSU has that in 2010, the offense will be good enough to win more games than it was last year. "

My Spring Game Thoughts - And The Valley Shook

3. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

yeah, really, that's what it boils down to. LSU just has to have something, anything, positive on offense and the rest will fall into place. right now that is the running game. with ford and ridley, we should be able to rush. hopefully we won't have to deal with injuries.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, it's true, and actually it was OVER 100 yards more per game. Not all running games are created equal, though. Matt Flynn could hit the long ball and convert 3rd downs. Defenses couldn't stack the line like they did last year. The 2007 team had 177 more attempts because of better sustained drives.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Agree JJ didn't show anything. However, Lee showed he can complete 50% of his passes while wearing a green jersey, had much easier pass plays called, and STILL THREW A FRIGGIN' PICK 6!! And you say Miles "has to start Lee"?? You must be talking about ZACH Lee...but he can't play yet.

6. downtown

downtown Founding Member

But what has he shown in the actual games??? It's good that Lee is doing okay in practice and outperforming JJ, but it's not by a ton. He'd have to be hitting 65%+ of his passes while posting some serious yards to really start to change perception.

Come on Red...you're a smart guy. Lee throws the ball up for grabs. Early on in his career, he seemed to get picks by throwing into tight coverage at times. But you don't get that many pick 6's because you're just throwing into tight coverage. It usually means you've thrown the ball to an island where only the other team's defenders are vacationing. That's why they take it back to the house - there are no LSU receivers in the area to tackle them.

In that LA Tech game, he didn't have any picks (which was great). But God knows it was a miracle. He had a few passes that looked like punts. He just threw them straight up in the air. The announcers were baffled.

I agree with this. I would say he outperformed him in the spring. Saying he passed him though is like saying he's now in line to start over him. But once again, practice and actual games are two very different things.

All very true. Lee outperformed JJ, but did nothing special. JJ is putting up awful numbers in practice (compared to actual games where he usually has a high completion %). It's not good that JJ is practicing that poorly. The young player stuff is over for both of them now. They will be juniors and they need to progress. JJ needs to take chances, make quicker decisions and throw the ball down field. Lee needs to manage the game better, not throw the ball 50 yards out of bounds when there is a hint of pressure and not just throw the ball up for grabs.

I do think a good running game will be the MAIN factor for this team. But they need to start practicing better. And our WRs need to start catching the ball better. Lafell (although a great player) dropped a ton of passes last year and Toliver did at the end of the year (Dickson as well). Lafell and Dickson won't be around, but our guys need to help the QBs out because we have GREAT potential at the WR spot.

I know our QBs have a lot of potential too, but the development by coaching is the question.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That's too simple. I watched those plays many times on video and he wasn't just heaving them up for grabs. They were passes that worked for him in high school where defenses aren't as deceptive. But in college what looked like a zone defense turned into a man defense in a heartbeat. And thread the needle passes had to get past future NFL defensive backs.

Those pick-sixes were not from downfield throws to isolated defensive backs on "islands". They were mostly throws towards the sidelines and across the ends to backs or backers who had faked a man coverage and then dropped into a zone. Complex modern defenses are designed to confuse young quarterbacks.

8. TexasTechTiger

TexasTechTiger Freshman

Yall have a similar problem that my school, Texas Tech, has. The only thing you can hope for is that one guy will step up and stand out, and you wont have any division through the locker room or even the stadium. Our starting QB got booed off the field during a game and that never helps anyone out. Just remember that the 2nd string guy is always the town favorite, but back up whoever yall have out there. Geaux Tigers, from Lubbock, Texas!

9. downtown

downtown Founding Member

I disagree. If it's tight one-on-one coverage and there is an INT., then maybe you just tried to make a play with tight coverage. He had a couple of those (basically on screens that he lofted). That happens sometimes.

But he definitely threw a number of pick 6's where there were a ton of defenders hanging out and maybe one LSU player within about five yards. Against Bama he threw a long pass right over the middle where Bama had multiple guys and there wasn't an open LSU receiver. They took it back 50+ yards to the house.

Against Flordia, he threw a short pass over the middle where their guys were blanketing our receiver and the ball didn't come close to our WR. A third guy (Spikes) stepped in, caught it with no one around other than a lineman and took it 50+ yards to the house.

Against Georgia on the first play of the game, he threw a short one inside the hash marks to our WR where there were two guys in the area to our one and the defender came over and jumped right in front of it to take it 40 yards to the house.

The last pick 6 against Georgia was the worst. He just threw it up over the middle of the field again and they had about six guys in the area (LSU might have had one). And of course, they took it 50+ yards back to the house.

And the OT interception against Bama was a ball he threw up for grabs. They had two guys sandwiching our receiver and he threw it anyway (although that one was to the corner of the end zone). And one of the defenders did grab it. That basically ended the game for us even though it wasn't a pick six.

When you're throwing it into crazy coverage and you don't have a man that's really open, that's throwing it up to grabs to me.

10. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

So are we saying that Lee is toast , done.

He did the best he could thrown into a situation that would have been bad for anyone on a team that had just won the national title and the world watching.

All he heard was how LSU didn't have a QB. Lee has been put through the grinder and I am one Tiger fan pulling for the kid.

I guess there is no way he can learn and get better. Not sure why he is still even playing football, oh yea. He thinks he can get better. I think his coaches think he can get better but I am not sure about the fan base.

You can think all Lee will do is throw pick 6's but I am going to be pulling for the kid that stayed at LSU. The one that is fighting for the #1 spot and the one that is acting like I would want my son to act in the same position. I would tell him don't quit and don't read the sport blogs in Baton Rouge. Don't listen to talk radio .

Just fight to play the best football you can and try to get better every practice.

Go get em JL:tigereye: