If the QB play doesn't improve over the summer

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Jopry

Jopry Veteran Member

JJ didn't have a great game and he needs to continue to make strides over the summer, but I think he maintains his starting position. Lee made the same mistakes he has always made (not properly reading the coverage), regardless of better numbers. JJ stats were killed by many dropped passes minus just a couple and a missed catch that turned into a int. Most of the incompletes were IMHO catch-able passes. However, I like the improved OL blocking. Although many starting defenders were not in the game, I saw an OL that was much quicker on their feet and then locking down with their blocks. On pass blocking, I saw linemen getting into proper positions by correctly reacting to the post snap defensive movement whether they actually made the block or not (i.e. I didn't see three OL not engaged with anyone while the defensive end is killing JJ). That's not to say they were perfect, but I saw solid improvement. If combined with a running game that defenses would at least have to pay some attention too (low and behold, we actually both ran AND passed from the I formation), JJ will find himself able to make plays. He will continue to improve through the summer. I think we are in a solid position for a very good season, although not necessarily flashy. For flashy to happen, the WRs need to seriously step up over the summer and I do mean all of them.

2. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

Lee made the same mistakes he has always made (not properly reading the coverage),

thats just sad

no he did not

he played well and made some nice reads and throws

3. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Look for the WR's to quit coming to LSU and the one's that are here, may start to wonder. I understand the spring game was a disaster in the passing game. Perhaps the Bleacher Report guy is right about LSU passing game next year.:geaux:

4. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Look, JL may be toast, or he might not be. Of course I believe he could improve and help the team in some way. As much as I've mentioned pick 6 issues along with other people, I'm not basing my feelings of his play on his freshman year. That was a tough situation and it really wasn't his fault. He made freshman mistakes that many would make (maybe not to that extent, but in general).

I'm basing my feelings on the last start he had at home last year against an inferior opponent in a low pressure game. As someone else said, he looked like he didn't want to be out there. He was throwing balls about 15 yards out of bounds as soon as there was a hint of pressure. That left me more unsure about him than anything. Basically nothing in the passing game was working.

Of course I admire him for his toughness and loyalty and I hope he does great if he gets in there. But I feel you have to earn that right to get in there and QB for LSU. Based on his last few performances, he hasn't earned that right. Now, if the person in front of him regresses or there are injuries, then he's earned the right for sticking with it and battling through everything.

What I don't care for is people basically saying that maybe he should start because he's had a couple of better practices than the guy that has been LSU's starter and has been the better player IN ACTUAL GAMES. That's all. Trust me, if JJ plays like he's been practicing, J. Lee will probably get his shot after a little while.

5. TigerCliff

What I don't care for is people basically saying that maybe he should start because he's had a couple of better practices than the guy that has been LSU's starter and has been the better player IN ACTUAL GAMES. That's all. Trust me, if JJ plays like he's been practicing, J. Lee will probably get his shot after a little while.

Well said and at the end of the day makes you wonder if JJ and JL are the best this staff could do for LSU. We just put the #1 draft pick in the pro's at QB and we just won the NC:crystal:

JJ and JL either have shown the metal to start at LSU and play in the SEC.

I am on the JL and now CG wagon. JJ still looks like a broke record to me.

If JJ starts I am on his side for him to improve but the same ole stuff every time is getting very old.

:tigereye:

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm not on nor off anybody's bandwagon because we still have fall practice and, like some have said, some of Jefferson's passes were throw aways , some were drops, and one of the receivers he threw to had a freakin' cast on his hand. As for Lee's performances last year, he never was able to get in any rhythm for the few series he was able to get in. The La Tech game was the one he played the most, but he didn't play the whole game. Even though he stunk in that game, he didn't get practice time as a starter all last year.

Be patient Cliff, with an improved OL and a real running game behind it, We'll all have to wait and see...and I think we'll eventually see better QB play from both JJ and JL no matter who's in the game.

I'm not making any judgments until I see a few real games next season...but I don't get to go see many of the games so I'm not numbered among the 90,000 coaches who do get to the games. :lol:

Until the season starts, I'll be just :popcorn:and waiting.

7. TigerCliff

Great post and my feelings are from nothing but a Tiger that wants the best for the fans the players and the staff. You have to hope with 10 or 11 guys that have only played and coached football they can figure this out.

:tigereye:cliff

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Listen Mrs. Lee, I think by and large everyone on here RESPECTS and likes JL. You're right when you say he has handled everything with class, and he deserves our respect because...

a) He's a Tiger
    b) He chose to remain a Tiger

HOWEVER...please stop saying "he played well". No sir, he did not. He played SLIGHTLY better than JJ. NEITHER played well.

And please stop saying "the same old stuff is getting very old". Yes, yes it is. Pick 6s are getting very old. Nobody has said anything that isn't very obviously true. JL throws a LOT of pick 6s. That is, IMHO, the single worst play that can possibly happen for an offense. It doesn't do the defense any favors, either. So basically, it is the single worst play for any TEAM. When he goes through an entire game playing well AND no pick 6, come here and we'll all celebrate it together. Until then, stop defending the indefensible.
    -
    Stats have been given showing that JJ is the better QB. Coaches have been quoted saying the same. Your case for Lee is that, because he went 10-20 for 114 yds in a practice game, he is the man? Nope. :nope: That's not enough. Do you also think Murphy should start at RB? Although not this year because of the injury, he typically tears it up in the spring game. What about Mingo? Should he, at 212 lbs, be a starter on the DL? After all, he tore it up in the spring game. The spring game is a designed scrimmage. Maybe you didn't realize it, but it was very apparent that Lee was set up to succeed in this scrimmage. He had the easier throws all game long. JJ was challenged more. FACT: Both of them failed the test Saturday. I think everyone agrees JJ stunk it up, but that does not automatically mean JL played well...and certainly not well enough to steal anyone's job.

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Right now I wouldn’t say that either has shown the ability to lead this team. Neither is crisp, neither has a solid pocket presence, neither has an accurate read on the defense. The good news is that we still have all summer and fall practice for one of these 2 to step up and prove they own the position. The better news is that we have won 2 MNC’s with not rocket scientist QB’s. Mauck and Flynn were both just above average QB’s that were great game managers. Not sure it is time, but I think that it may be a focus of Miles to create this type of QB. One that has to manager to not throw the game away and let our run game be our bread and butter. He has made the comment several times that he is focusing on improving the run game, and committing to getting back to a dominant run offense. Given that J Lee hasn’t shown the development to overcome his pick 6 problems, and J Jefferson hasn’t shown the ability to overcome his problems of holding onto the ball too long, reading defenses, or going thru his reads, I think this might be a smart move. Create an offense that is run first and use the QB to manage the game and not have to win the game with his arm. Best news, we do have the talent in the backfield to do this, but do we have an OL that can perform to make it be successful.:geaux: :tigereye: :LSU231:

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Mauck and Flynn were both smart QB's. I'd suggest that Miles start looking at QB GPA's just as hard as he looks at their game film. Our QB's haven't been lacking in physical talent.