If the SEC is known for Defense, and

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Oct 15, 2007.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well, then we can't say the SEC is about defenses anymore, at least in regards to the SEC teams in that category.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Ask and ye shall receive. :)

First, the original comment about Kentucky and the Pac IMO was meant to be in general in terms of how they throw the ball and play call, not so much a head up comparison of offensive scoring ability. Woodson is a QB more typical of Pac10 than SEC in general.

I do think stats can be misleading. Perhaps that's why South Florida sits in such an enviable position right now. As for putting up points, take a quick look at OOC opponents for both conferences from weeks 1-5 and while each could stand some better opponents, it's a possible contributor to total points scored.

SEC
    Western Kentucky, Memphis, Eastern Kentucky, La Lafayette, Richmond, Western Carolina, Troy, Kent St, Tulane, So Carolina St., Gardner-Webb, Arkansas St., Florida Atlantic, Eastern Michigan, No Texas.

PAC
    Ohio St., Utah, La Tech, Idaho St., Fresno St., Nebraska, San Jose St., Idaho, San Diego St., Cincinnati, Colo St., Wisconsin, Houston, Boise St., Michigan, BYU, No Arizona, Colorado, Syracuse.

I'd like to see how the numbers change as both begin to play more within the conference. A year end review would be great.

As for USC, I think our current ranking may be generous considering our injuries. We are literally the walking wounded.
    Baker-Strained Hamstring-out 1 to 2 games
    Heberer-Strained Shoulder-out unknown number of games
    Rey Rey-Hip pointer or worse-out unknown?
    Rachal-Strained knee-back for Notre Dame?
    O'Dowd-Patella injury-out 2-3 more weeks?
    Malu-Hamstring bruise-playing
    Charles Brown-Sprained ankle
    Booty-broken finger-back for Notre Dame?
    S. Johnson-boot injury-back for Notre Dame?
    K Ellison-broken nose-playing
    Byers-banged up hands but playing

Out for the season:
    Pinkard-Torn ACL-out all season
    Nick Howell-Groin Injury-out for season
    CJ Gable-groin injury-out for the season
    Martin Coleman-shoulder-out for the season but possibly practicing with scout team
    Marc Tyler-practicing with scout team
    Gallippo-Back injury-surgery and out for the season (Injury from High School)
    Kevin Thomas-out for the year
    Broderick Green-Stress Fracture foot-back when?
    T Henderson-out for the season
    Travon Patterson-out for the season

We are without our starting QB, Center, Rt Guard, Rt Tackle, and #1 TB just to name a few. Our previously #1 rated LB crew has been without starter Brian Cushing since Idaho and now this last Saturday we lost Rey Maualuga. I have high hopes for Mark Sanchez but having to put in the #2 guy who has never had more than mop up duty is a step back (or at least sideways) not a step forward. The playbook now has to be modified to allow him time to develop a rhythm. It's a conundrum. We can't establish a running game because we have 3rd string Oline guys in and our TB group is depleted. So we have to turn to the............pass and we have a green QB working on dinks and dunks. And just like I've read on here, our WR's are not running good routes and are dropping passes all over the place.

Enough food for thought and probably way too much for most. That oughta' do for another few weeks.

Later,
    v

1 person likes this.
  3. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

I'm just saying by playing so many weak offenses it gave a lot of people an inflated view of our D. I heard some compare it to the 2003 D and there is no comparison in my view.
    Don't get me wrong I think the D is good just not great.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Where is Cal, Missouri, South Florida, K-State, Louisville, VT, and Florida State on this list?

Or did I miss something here? (which, unfortunately, is always a possibility)

5. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Had no idea USC was that banged up... Still I don't count them out of the MNC run yet. "Horse-face" Pete might find a way. Another loss would change that though.

Good luck,
    Fur

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Let's take a quick look at the scoring defensive rankings of their opponents
    Kentucky (top scoring SEC offense)
    E. Kentucky - 54th
    Kent St. - 69th
    Louisville - 78th
    Arky - 41st
    Fl. Atlantic - 91st
    So. Carolina - 14th
    LSU - 6th

AVG ranking = 50th

Oregon (top scoring Pac-10 offense)
    Houston - 95th
    Michigan - 31st
    Fresno - 74th
    Stanford - 97th
    Cal - 58th
    Wash. St. -109th

AVG ranking = 77th

(Note: Oregon will probably catch UK in total points scored when # of games evens out)

Edit: I used THIS site to find the rankings if anyone wants to double check my math for me.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

And at the end of the year, Kentucky will have played 4 away games, Oregon 5. The one loss Kentucky has is on the road, while Oregon lost at home to kal (on a questionable call BTW) who beat Tennessee at home.........see how stuff can go? At least the Pac is racking up some serious Frequent Flier Miles.

And fur, USC's NC hopes are non-existent. Nobody who loses to the Furd should be playing for the NC IMO.

Question:
    Why did Lavelle Hawkins leave LSU? He looked great on Saturday even though kal lost. I didn't realize until the broadcast that he'd been a Tiger.

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

At the end of the year, Kentucky will have faced 5 teams that are currently ranked. Oregon 3.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

It's where they're ranked AT the end of the year that counts.

Look at the preseason rankings to see how, with each week's games, the TRUE picture of "How good" teams really are is unfolding. Where they're ranked any given week doesn't mean squat........especially the AP poll, remember? :hihi:

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Since I don't have the psychic powers required to know where they'll be ranked at that time, I used current rankings, which is all we have to go by at this time.