If the SEC is known for Defense, and

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I didn't realize home games were removed from standings. Is that why you haven't said a whole lot about Stanford?:grin:

Have no clue where the 518 mile round trip for LSU comes from. Did we go tour Mississippi on the way to the Dome? :hihi:

Home come this home/road stuff wasn't brought up last year, when we had the tough road slate, and y'all toughest games were at home, yet now that the roles are reversed, it's a big deal?

2. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

How many Lears do you guys use? Must look like a flock of geese crossin' the sky!!

3. abt1867

abt1867 Freshman

Umm, no. It counts now as polls from week to week are determined by who plays who and what is their ranking at the time of that game. So if it counts now of course it counts in the end.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Actually, it counts according to where they are currently ranked, not when you play them. Meaning at the end of the season, only the postseason ranking matters.

Reason for doing this, is so 2 teams get equal credit for beating/losing to like opponents.
    Example: In '03, USC played Auburn opening week. AU was ranked #6. LSU played them week 8. AU was ranked #19. USC does not get credit for beating #6 while LSU #19 for beating the exact same team. Instead, they both got rewarded for beating an un-ranked team (which is where AU ended the year)

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Not when you're determining just how good a team REALLY was for that year it doesn't. That's the context it was presented in. If that would be true, we could take the preseason rankings and scratch the season.

Let’s use LSU, last year, as an example:

Last year, LSU was ranked #8 in the preseason poll and moved to #6 after the second week. Then fell to #10 after week three and the AU loss. The following week, we moved to #9 and stayed there for two weeks before falling to #14 for the next three.

The ensuing two weeks we were ranked at #13 and #12 before moving BACK to #9 for two weeks, finishing up #5, #4 and ultimately, #3.

So, in playing LSU, did our opponents play an LSU team that was a #3, #4, #5, #6, #8, #9, #10, #12, #13 or #14 ranked team.......heck, we held 10 different rankings last year. In the end, we were ranked #3 and, THAT, my friend, is the answer. :)

6. abt1867

abt1867 Freshman

I understand how the final rakings are tallied. But during the year SOS is a factor which means #17 KY beat #1 LSU thus moving them up based upon that accomplishment. LSU is now #4 thus an Auburn victory is against #4 and their ranking will be tallied as such for the upcoming poll release.

Conclusion: The rankings through the year matter. They determine MNC teams, BCS teams, and lower tier Bowl games. You cannot get to a final ranking without having the weekly rankings. And that my friend is the answer!

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Right, but it changes every week. In the computers, we are currently getting credit for # 14 ranked Florida, not # 9 where they were when we beat them. Nexy week, the credit we recieve will change depending on where they are after the UK game.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Reading comprehension for the humor challenged. I said this earlier in the thread:
    And fur, USC's NC hopes are non-existent. Nobody who loses to the Furd should be playing for the NC IMO

Wasn't the only comment I've made about the Furd. In fact I made a post here on it the night we lost.

First of all, the picture and my comments were cased as a joke. You know, like the PC sarcasm thread you started on the SC Forum last week after we LOST to Stanford. You forget how to laugh since then?

The home/road stuff gets brought up on a regular basis, not just this year and last. How many SEC teams have just 4 away games on their schedule this year? How many SEC teams travel more than a few hundred miles for away games? For better or worse, USC regularly schedules 6 home and 6 away with away games in places like Omaha, South Bend, Ohio, Virginia, NY, Hawaii, Boston, Arkansas, Alabama, etc. Sometimes, it's not just the school where you play but the wear and tear that hits a team when they travel that much and have to adjust to different time zones, have limited time/access for pre-game practices, etc.

Hey, you're geographically blessed in the SEC (that's not a dig BTW) and I get that but that doesn't mean that serious travel for other conferences should be discounted completely.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Just for you Hawker. This is a picture of the airport in Lincoln the day of the USC/Nebraska game. :rofl:

[​IMG]

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Nah, I found it funny you gave us ZERO credit for the 45 minute bus ride to NOLA. How many bus rides did USC have to make?:hihi:

Unfortunately, we don't have a cross country rival like USC does with ND. For a while, we did play A&M home and home, but that doesn't happen anymore (I think most fans would like to see it again). And we did play Va. Tech like that (took them a few years to hold up their end of the bargain), and we even set up a home and home out in PAC-10 Territory against Arizona. We scheduled that one after their 12-1 season in '98. Unfortunately, they really hit the crapper by the time the games got here.:hihi: