If we go 12-1 or 11-2, do you think Miles still cans Crowton?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jester, Nov 14, 2010.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Using that logic if someone jumps out of an airplane, their chute doesn't open and they survive they would then just start jumping with no chute at all. After all they survived without it right? GC failed at his job, yet the team survived. That doesn't mean the team will continue to survive his ineptitude if he stays. You can debate whether he should or shouldn't be fired based on his performance, but just repeating 10-1 a million times like you have done doesn't make the case one way or the other.

2 people like this.
  2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

It looks like the chute might be working. Do you want to take a chance on another chute?

3. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Let's say an offense doesn't gain a single offensive yard or score a single offensive TD, but a team goes 10-1. Does the OC get credit for the team's success?

FWIW, I think the play-calling has improved in recent weeks. That would be a reason for keeping him.

4. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

i hate this talk. read his history. look at the last several years. if he's not canned after this year, please don't give a contract extension. he's done less with more than any oc i can think of. history suggests he reverts to the past. there is no reason why we have the 100+ offense in the country last year and played so poorly earlier this year that caused the a lot of die-hard fan to lose enthusiasm for upcoming games.

5. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I think you misunderstood my post. My stance is judge the OC by the offense's success, not the team success as a whole.

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

I don't think any of us are saying you forgive and forget what GC hasn't been able to do for the past 2-3 yrs. I just think if the O has come together and does continue to play at this level, then it is a tough decision for Miles. Miles will have to weigh the options, especially with so many skill players returning. Is it better to instill a new offensive scheme or ride out what these kids have finally begun to understand and execute.

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Agree. Things have looked better (particularly JJ's execution), since the Bama game. Prior to that, sending GC off was an easy call. Now, not so easy. But I would base it on his last 3 years, not last 3 games.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

That's a better argument that 10-1, 10-1, 10-1, 10-1..........

However the offense has sputtered much more than it has worked. If you look at just this incomplete season I'd lean towards giving him another year. However when you look at this season grouped with the last two I lean heavily towards trying another chute. You can only bounce off the ground from 10,000 ft and survive so any times.

9. Jester

Jester Founding Member

While I'm still of the opinion that Crowton should go, there is one interesting thing to think about.................

Mettenberger and Rivers are both Pro-style drop back passers with decent, but limited mobility.

Crowton's best season at LSU was 2007, the year he was forced to tailor his offense around a Power-I and Pro-style QB in Flynn. What we ended up with was a mish-mash Offense that really was a mix of the Spread and the Power-I, but that really took advantage of our playmakers, got the ball in their hands, and was very hard for defenses to follow because you never knew what you were gonna get.

In fact, Crowton's best season at all of his jobs has been his 1st season where he's been forced to tone down his wacky spread and attempt to blend it with the teams prior offense.

Maybe, just maybe, if Crowton is still around in 2012, we may see him, instead of try to force round peg Mettenberger into a square spread Offense hole ( which would be impossible ), we may see him adjust the offense to something that resembles the 2007 vintage.............which was very effective, and a blast to watch.

Who knows?

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Speak for yourself.