If we lose and the offensive game plan is the same as the Auburn game, angry, or ok?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Oct 6, 2006.

1. max

max Founding Member

I am wondering if we lose and the offensive game plan is the same as the Auburn game. Run ineffective Justin Vincent behind an unimpressive run blocking OL for most of the game. After that game, Miles seemed to defend his doggedness in sticking with the run even though it was not working. Many LSU fans would prefer the team to use the pass to set up the run as we did in 2001. South Carolina sure had alot of success against Auburn's pass defense. Do you think the LSU coach is always smarter than the collective wisdom of the fans no matter what? Some fans always think the coach knows best. I think Miles is a good coach and I am glad we have him. I don't think he is as good as Tuberville or a few other coaches though. I was disappointed in the defensive coaching at the beginning of last year but they sure learned from their mistakes. I hope whoever (Fisher or Miles) is calling the offensive shots has learned from the offensive coaching mistakes (too conservative) in the Auburn game. If you play not to lose, you won't be a winner in the long run. I like that Tuberville coaches aggressively and with confidence and fires assistants quickly if they do not perform. I liked how Saban's regime seemed to coach aggressively for the most part. I hope if we lose to Florida, we are not left wondering what might have been if the offensive philosophy wasn't playing not to lose (as it appeared against Auburn). Go Tigers! Good luck Coach Miles.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Re: If we lose and the offensive game plan is the same as the Auburn game, angry, or

How was Tubby's gameplan vs LSU any more aggressive than LSU's offense was. Was Au's 38 rushes for 72 yards more aggressive than LSU's 23 for 42, with the number of passing plays called actually 33 for Auburn and 19 for LSU I believe. I think not. It looks to me like your post is more to cause a debate than about facts, especially mentioning Saban and his staff(Fisher).

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Re: If we lose and the offensive game plan is the same as the Auburn game, angry, or

We've been working on 3 and 4 WR sets all week in practice. Heard we may try to run the ball out of the shotgun a few times.

Give this coaching staff some credit. They changed their offensive philosophy after the Auburn game. It will continue today. They'll put the ball in JR's hand.

It'll be up to JR and the players to execute. Scott needs to step up and make our running game better.

Have a little faith...it's GAMEDAY!!!

4. JohnnyT

JohnnyT Founding Member

I think this is a non-issue. The coaches have already adjusted their approach offensively if the Miss St game is any indication. From what I saw while at the game (left at halftime), the play calling looked like we were leading with our strength (passing) and not being stubborn about forcing the run. I don't think that these guys will regress, particularly as Florida's run defense looks stout.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I agree. JR's going to have to open up throwing the ball and fit the run in when the situation dictates. How well our O line blocks the Gator defenders is going to influence how often we rush.

It will help if we can get an early lead and take the crowd out of the equation.

6. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

There is no way Miles tries to force the running game through all 4 qtrs if it is not effective. If he does try to run a substantial amount more than pass and it is not effective then yes I will be mad, especially with a starting lineman (Arnold) not playing. He is sitting out this game right?

I don't think any OC or coach would be dumb enough to try and force the run when it is not your strong point, especially against a run stopping defense and UF's weed smoking defensive tackle is back playing.

Tubs wasn't aggressive in play calling but once Irons started getting chunks of yardage on their one TD drive he just kept pounding it b/c it worked. Tubs was balanced most of the game but the TD drive they had he ran the ball b/c it was effective. He didn't try to pass more to keep things balanced he went with what worked. Miles and Fisher kept trying to run even though it wasn't working and didn't enough plays that were LSU's strength.

The passing game was effective against AU but they kept forcing the run plays. If that happens today, I will be very very disappointed. With JR's accuracy and stellar WR's, it is just as risky running the ball as it is passing. I think a fumble could occur just as easy as an INT.

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I am a Miles supporter, but I don't think we got our best effort on the offensive game calling against Auburn. I think we stuck with the run too much, and it never worked. Should have thrown more, or if we were going to run, try some different plays, throw more, then come with a draw after they are rushing the QB. Alley and JV didn't get it, try Scott. That game was very winable, even with the officiating.

That said, I don't think it makes Miles a bad coach. But with this great defense, we should not lose more than 1 or 2 games this season. I picked us 10-2, and I still feel that way.

I think Fla. is a must win for us to have a highly successful season. We can have a successful season if we drop one today, but to be highly successful, you have to beat a top tier program, and we already lost to Auburn. All the bitching in the world won't change it. Today is very important to LSU, imo.

8. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Might as well ask what you'd do if the sun didn't rise tomorrow.

Hint: The sun will rise, and LSU will win. Next question. :tigerhead

9. Laminator

Laminator Founding Member

<sarcasm> Dude totally! I sure wish we had gotten rid of that Pelini jerkoff after he stunk up the joint the first two games of last year. Can't BELIEVE we hung on to that dude.</sarcasm>

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

What a novel idea. Let's see....spread the offense....keep the defense honest...open up the running game....hmmmmm

Damn....too bad they weren't smart enough to have that game plan for the Auburn game. Lost opportunities.