If you were a defensive coordinator?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 65Grad, May 11, 2004.

1. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I almost feel sorry for the defensive coordinators that will have to face us next year. With all the offensive weapons we have (and will have come the fall) if you were an opposing DC how would you defense the 2004 LSU Tigers?
    :lsup: :champs: :geaux:

2. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

I'd definitely work to stop the run first and force Randall (or Flynn, or Russell) to beat you through the air and make the young receivers work for it. That's my plan anyway.

3. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

LSU will probably see 8 men in the box on a regular basis as well as many run blitzes. You know, like the run blitz Oklahoma was in on the first play of the game when JV almost scored !

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Simple. With the question marks at wide receiver and quarterback, stack the line and make us throw the football. Learn how to defend the option that Randall will be running at us.

5. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

It worked against Auburn last year! :thumb:

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

We do have a ton of weapons but every season both sides of the ball have to find their identity with changes in personnel. If this team can come together and find some chemistry it should be something to see. However with a change in QB's and a few new recievers needing to step up it may take a little while for this offense to find the balance of run pass that we had last year. Fortunately our running game should be able to carry the majority of the load until the passing game starts to click. We will need to throw the ball at least a little early in the season to stop teams from stacking the line of scrimmage. Look for RB and WR screens and short passes early in the season even though this team is loaded with down field speed. JMHO. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

7. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Stop the run if you can!!

With the O-Line and backfield LSU will start next year, defenses will have to stop the run first, then pressure the QB and force him (whoever it might be) to beat us down field. If defenses allow Wilkerson and company to push them around, our inexperineced QBs will have a lot of time to get comfortable handing the ball off.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

First off, we will actually have a few less weapons in a way when the season first opens as we will really miss Clayton and Devery on the outside. No matter how much potential these young guys have it will be a while before they are as good as these 2 were. By the same token, early last year we had 2 good but kind of serviceable RB's carrying the load whereas this year we will have 3 extremely talented sophs. and 2 others that will be used in situations that best fit their talents. We will have a lot of substitutions based on down and distance and of course the play calling.

Jimbo will finally get to use his imagination based on the talents of many in the backfield. And I also think we will see a lot of bubble screens early in the year and quick slants, especially to Skyler and if the defense does have 8 in the box he will break a few. Bowe will probably be our BIG possession receiver early also.

So if I'm a DC on the opposing team, I am tempted to put 8 in the box away from the side that Skyler is on but maybe oput my safety back a couple of steps to prevent a breakaway. But then this opens up the quick slant, which LSU used so effectively with Josh in 2001. Now, whichever WR wins the 3rd spot should be one of our burners and we'll have to see how that developes but As a DC I would make them prove they can beat my CB deep before putting as much emphasis on the pass as I would the run, on first and second down.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I would be surprised if LSU runs the ball a whole lot with Randall at QB. While he can run he is not as adept at it as Mauck was. He ran in 2002 moslty only in desperation. Of course, he has had much more seasoning and maybe they will put in an option attack for him but I would be surprised. Now Flynn was known as an exceptional runner in high school, so when he plays we just may see some of that or that counter draw that Mauck used so effectively, especially vs UT in the SEC CG.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I'm not sure how you can come up with that, seeing as during the times which Randall was in games this season, Jimbo called about one option play per series. That was what I was basing my comments on, not whether or not Randall is a "good runner" or even a better runner than Mauck..