If you were a defensive coordinator?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 65Grad, May 11, 2004.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz and Blitz.

2. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz, Blitz and Blitz.

One of the best O-Lines in the SEC, coupled with a talented backfield will pick this creative blitz package up.

3. BB

BB Founding Member

So be it - you just better pick it up right away and still be picking it up in the 4th quarter. I'm the DC, you shut up!

4. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

JMO, but it would basically come down to the quality of the CB's. A team with two solid CB's and maybe some depth at safety could afford to play LSU much differently than the alternative. If LSU's O-line is as solid as most think, they'll be a very tough team to slow down, let alone stop, so you'd be forced to take some risks.

With two good corners, I'd man-up outside the weakside hash and cheat the FS up on the slot or release back - and I would mix up blitzes on every opportunity where the offensive scheme would allow, favoring pressure from the strongside, and occasionally dropping an LB into coverage against a two-back or screen play. This I would do until Randall could prove he could beat the outside CB for a jackpot. The problem is that there aren't many CB's that can cover Sky Greene consistently if you're playing rollup in the slot. The question is - can Randall (or whoever CNS decides is better) deliver the ball there without risk? It's not Randall's trademark, but I don't know for sure. I believe that would provide the best opportunity for limiting the run, while not letting the RB get into open space uneccesarily.

Quite frankly, if you can't man-up on LSU on the outside, then you'd better be praying for some turnovers and just hold on. Again, JMO.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Cadillac, in you opinion does Auburn have the corners to do this?

6. cadillacattack

The jury's still out SabanFan. AU's secondary has improved considerably over last season where we were extremely thin. With a healthy Carlos Rogers (Sr., 6-1, 198) anchoring down his true position - the one he will be drafted at following the season, AU is in really good shape on that side. The other CB position is a real battle between Montae Pitts (So, 6-3, 203, fastest on the team currently), and David Irons (Jr., 6-1,183, pro pedigree) who has really made a statement this spring. Donnay Young and Lamel Ages are also battling, but many believe Irons has the tenacity and endurance to seize the opportunity. Tristan Davis (3-star newcomer) could add to the mix, but it is unknown at this time if he may redshirt.

AU is solid at Safety with Rosegreen, Herring, Hobbs, Young, and 4-star newcomer Tony Bell - much depth to strengthen the middle.

There's alot of optimism on the Plains, but much is still unknown. We'll know in about 100 days ........

7. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Auburn has nothing

They can bend over now and kiss their own arses goodbye.

LSU O-line will run herd over Auburn just like last year.

:po: :po: :po: :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

8. alaman

alaman Founding Member

Allbarn is desperate at corner.

9. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Funny stuff coming from a Bama fan. Do you guys have a 2 deep depth chart yet?

10. cadillacattack

LMAO :lol: