If....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, Feb 23, 2005.

1. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

WRONG!

I'd like to win the SEC in basketball. John Brady couldn't carry Saban's or Smoke's luggage. Aside from men's basketball, in the major sports, we have caoches that will place LSU in the Top 10 on an annual basis. Winning 2/3 of your games will not cut it in football or baseball at LSU. Why should it in basketball? This is LSU: cash flush LSU, die-hard loyality LSU, graduate with an LSU degree and you're pretty much set LSU, mediocrity does not equate LSU.
    We're talking about LSU. The school that has big bad Oklahoma and Texas hating us because we took to their levels and beat 'em.

A nice run of three games does not change the fact this team had underachieved for the better part of the season and has looked clueless at some point in every game (Brandon Bass during the last 11 seconds last night).

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i'd argue the smoke reference. jury is still out. if bertman hadnt broken through the cws curse in 91 then obviously his legacy would be miniscule to what it is.

i dont get the "graduate with an LSU degree and you're pretty much set" line

i completely disagree with the underachieving comment. what do you expect from a team whose 3 top players have less than 2 yrs experience each and with a limited bench. unexperienced teams dont just come out of preseason on all 4 cyl. besides, you shouldnt care if we beat WV or USM. the games that count are sec. this isnt football.

3. kjntiger

kjntiger Founding Member

nope. I don't shoot my OIC if he gets me back alive.

4. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

So you want to be like Nebraska, and fire your head coach if he ONLY reaches a .700 winning % in one season like they did Solich? And if Callahan struggles, and fails to live up to the 'Husker-Fan expectations (which seems to be undefeated seasons), what big-time coach would want to try on that shoe?? Now I think it's a good thing if your fans expect championships--'cause that means you're doing something right--and that you're continuing to field a very competitive and talented team. But it IS ok to accept a 2-3 loss football season, or CWS appearances without actually winning a national title, or multiple trips to the NCAA Tourny, but not exactly getting to the Final Four. It's OK. "You can't win 'em all".

We, as LSU fans, are spoiled. And it's a good thing--It means that our athletic teams are winning and are in the national spotlight. But we don't have to become insane about winning it all to the point where we start calling for everyone's head just because they haven't won a championship yet.

I'm not saying that you have to stick with a coach just because he has a winning season once in a blue moon, but the question asked was IF Brady won a National Championship, would people still want him fired. And I say that ANY coach that wins a national title, EARNS, at the very least, a 3-year grace period.... and you don't think that a coach had just won his first ever national title would automatically not give a darn, and just passively allow the team to fall by the wayside? No. He wouldn't. But if for some unexplained reason, after 2-3 years, he's not giving the same effort, then, by all means, let him go.

But you can't fire someone that JUST won a championship. No way.

5. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Smoke's been to the CWS and the jury's still out, but Brady is safe?

Bertman's legacy was set when he made a profit for baseball in 1986, remember this was during the Joe Dean days. Smoke recruited the players that won most of those CWS. When LSU was drawing 3,000 fans for the season, it was Smoke who hit the JUCO's in California and Florida for players because Louisiana high schoolers were interested in playing for Maestri and Brockhoff.

In this state, as I get older, it's apparent LSU graduates are "thick as thieves", thankfully. That's where the graduate line comes in.

But back to Brady. Yes, I'm hot about losing to West Virginia, Tennessee, Houston, and USM. We have much better talent than any of those teams. Better talent should win on a consistant basis. Winning 2/3 of your games should not cut it as acceptable in any sport at LSU. I'm pulling like heck for LSU to bury Alabama Poly Saturday, but frankly, I'm concerned and I shouldn't be. But because LSU is not a sound fundamental team, the War Men Eagles have a chance.

Sound fundamental teams do not have guards throwing up wild shots like Mitchell and Minor did at times last night. Fundamentally sound teams do find themselves having three shooters in the same spot and effectively guarded by one player, which happened on three occassions in the second half last night.

Brady runs the table over the next three and I'll lay off until the replay occurs next December. Afterall, a team that beats State, Florida, and Alabama in a row should have absolutely no problem disposing of little ol' Auburn, Mississippi, and Vanderbilt, right?

6. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Nebraska had a tradition of winning 10+ annually for many years. Solich followed a legend and was doomed from jump street.

Brady isn't going to ever win a Final Four. However, in the overall scheme of LSU basketball history, Brady is better than Press and Coach Jay. A Kia blows the doors off a Yugo, too, but wouldn't a Lexus all the time be nice? If we're going to have basketball team that is the powerhouse equal to football, with 14,000 people in the Assembly Center on a regular basis, a change has to be made. Brady's a brown suit; nice, but you'll never be invited to the excutive lunchroom with it.

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I hear ya. I just wouldn't want us LSU fans to start getting the reputation as "the bunch that can never be satisfied no matter what we do" and suffer because of it (if coaches started avoiding coming her because of it).

8. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Thank goodness Ole Miss canned Cutcliff and Florida Zook! That monkey is off our backs for awhile.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

never said brady is safe. dont know where that came from. remember this thread is about IF brady takes team to NC.

If Bertman didnt go on to win a NC his legacy would be much smaller than with. very few people know about the $$$

i'll take experience over talent (within reason) early in the season. btw, WV just beat #18 Pitt on the road. its not gonna look so bad. oh, neither will UT or UH top 100 rpi road losses arent that big of a deal.

10. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

You're right, you never said Brady was safe.

Talent alone won't win; experience alone won't win. You must have both, but Dale's last few years were long on the experience and way short on talent. Look what it bought...er, brought.

Good losses do not change the fact it was a loss. My point is LSU should not have lost to those teams regardless because we are better, more talented. Brady wins 3 of those 4 and he has us at 19-5, LSU is sitting on a four seed.

Man, I can see this Auburn disaster brewing. They are giving UK fits, we're just ripe for the picking. C'mon, John, shut me up and win out!