If....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, Feb 23, 2005.

1. roygu

roygu Founding Member

mcmikel
    How would you compare Saban losing to UAB and Brady losing to USM and Houston? When you have a young or inexperience PG or a young or inexperienced QB anything can happen.

Brady upset Texas in the NCAA when Stromile was here. Saban lost to Texas in the Cotton Bowl. Stuff happens.

2. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Saban's first year, Brady's eighth.

UAB finished with a 7-4 record. USM is 1-12 in CUSA play.

UAB had one of the best defenses in the country that year AND Josh Booty was driving the car that night. Tennessee stinks.

LSU was favored over Texas going and was healthy. Swift was on fire. Texas took a step up over next few years, LSU slip slidn' away.

LSU beat up, Texas healthy with their #1 QB. LSU took a step up, Texas keeps jumping for the ring (hell, they're still jumpin' for ANY title, let alone #1).

Brady's guards aren't young or inexperienced. Saban's QBs were.

LSU can do better than John "I Was Hired By Joe Dean" Brady. Oh, and just to shake the tree some, after Hallman popped Arkansas in his last game 30-something to 6, there were many phone call to sports talk shows saying maybe LSU pulled the trigger one year too early. How can LSU fans howl if the football team loses 3 games, but are jumping for joy with a basketball team in second place and having loses to some pure garbage teams?

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

In all honesty though, it doesn't matter what seed you are in the NCAA tourny. 64 teams are in and they must all play and win the same amount of games in order to be Final Four Champions.

If 2-3 additional wins vs teams "of lesser talent", and being a 4th seed as opposed to being a 9, is the basis of your dislike and/or unhappiness with Brady, then, I'm sorry, your arguement seems a little weak.

Sure, someone will make the point that it's about "pairings" and if you're a 4th seed, the pairings are more favorable than the 9th seed. But I don't buy into that either. Reason is because in order to win the Final Four, you STILL have to go through one or two of the nations top teams. Doesn't matter if you play teams like UNC, Duke, Illinois, etc in the 2nd round as a 9 seed, or play them in the Great 8 or Final Four as a higher seed--you still have to get through them.

Seedings don't mean anything. There have been teams seeded 4th that have won the Final Four, and there have been teams seeded lower than that to make the Final Four. From that point, it's anyone's game.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

totally idiotic to cite records or teams then say we should never lose to team x or y in bradys 8th year or whatever. you can say it all you wish but it still doesnt make it true.

there is parity in college basketball like no other sport. 5 players for each team on the court so it only takes one player to carry a team at times. each midweek games emotions and motivation are different, especially the early part of the season. Not to mention, coaches are trying to mold and test players to set the lineup for late season.

you sound foolish stating certainties in college sports but hey, you arent the first. The sad part is you believe what you say.

5. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

John "I Was Hired By Joe Dean" Brady? Are you gonna call him that when we win the west in a couple of weeks?

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Anyone that replied they would fire a coach after winning a national championsip should be put in 1 week's timeout. Absolutely insane.

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I was surprised by the early posts in this thread. I thought for sure that TE would be the only one here with such a stance.

8. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Upsets are a fact of life in college basketball. Since Swift left LSU, under John Brady, has not shown the ability to defeat lesser opponents on "off nights" (any game played in the city of Houston, road games). I fail to see how LSU could be considered looking for a starting 5, the same 7-8 player rotation has been out there since November.

A well coached team should be able to over come a fired up team of lesser talent on the road (USM, Tennessee) or at home (WVa). Wishing won't erase those losses, but coaching would have. I have seen very little from John Brady to convince me that it is pure talent, not coaching, that has put LSU in a position to win the west. I believe that a better coach would have taken that talent, won a few more games, and be in a position to win the west Saturday afternoon after UK beats Alabama.

I'm happy Brady has a loyal following that fines a winning percentage of .667 fine. Until last season I, too, thought Brady was great. Watch a tape of the OU NIT game; it sealed the deal for me. It bothers me that other coaches, who have done much better at LSU, are being hounded if they sported a similar winning percentage. LSU makes the field and possibly wins a game. Great, but I want more, LSU deserves more. What I find sad is that people will settle for less than the best for LSU.

9. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

Yes, and he should win the west. I want LSU to win and win big time. He isn't man to take us there. LSU can do much better.

10. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

I was a Brady supporter until last season. The wheels came off the bus and instead of fixing the problem, Brady put gold wheels on instead.

The biggest comment on Brady came from 5,000 empty seats Tuesday night. We can say those aren't true LSU fans all we want but it will not make this fact disappear. Basketball tickets are no outrageously priced, so there has to be something else. Dale, for all his faults and foolishness, made basketball exciting, compelling, and had people expecting regular runs through the NCAA field.

Right now LSU has the opportunity to recapture that spirit. People outside of the 225 area code are now talking LSU hoops. I hope Brady can build on this and take us up the ladder. I want LSU to win the West, the SEC, the NCAA, but I do not think John Brady has the coaching ability to compete with the top tier programs in venues where NCAA championships are won.

Maybe I am asking too much for the standards set by baseball and football carry over to men's basketball. Afterall, what other basketball program at LSU has talent AND coaching and wins over fired up lesser opponents on the road?
    Guess it can't be done and we should be thrilled with winning 2/3 of our games.