If....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, Feb 23, 2005.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Lloreda leaving was the reason the "wheels came off the bus". What are these "gold wheels" of which you speak?

I see it as a coach taking a group of talented underachievers and, in the course of one season, molding them into a team capable of making some noise in the tournament.

It's all in the way you choose to look at it. You apparently cannot get past the fact that we lost a couple of early games we shouldn't have and cannot enjoy the late season run that has put the team in position to (incredibly) win the SEC West. Your attitude is like that of a Red Sox fan who is still pissed that the Yanks went up 3-0 in the ALCS.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

lsu is 9-4 in the SEC. everyone else in the league has a worse league record except kentucky. so i think all SEC coaches except tubby smith should be fired.

well, the sec is weak this year, i guess tubby should be fired too.

[edit: oops alabama has a better league record too!]

3. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

I would say that 2/3 of rupp arena last night were discussing that Tubby should be fired with the performance against Auburn. Part of the world we live in college basketball today. Think the Kansas board is lit up after 3 losses or the Texas board with their decline this year?

Lets have some fun, sit back and see what happens. Geaux tigers

4. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

OK, I am not asking you agree, but do not try and paint me into box with a broad brush.

Why should LSU accept being in the pack instead of leading it?

LSU starts Hudson (highly recruited, Mr. Louisiana Basketball), Minor (highly recruited, maybe a Parade All-American), Bass (highly recruit, All-everything), Davis (highly recruited, another All-everything), and Mitchell (highly recruited, yet another stud). First players off the bench, Neltner (Mr. Kentucky basketball, highly recruited) and Whipple (Player of the year and 3X All-Stater), are very talented, too. High school stats and talent doesn't translate to college, but it does indicate a level of talent to work with. I promise you Roy Williams, Kelvin Sampson,or Ben Howland would sport a better record than our current leader.

I would be thrilled with an 8-2 finish (that's 3 in regular play, making the SEC title game [UK is head and shoulders over us], and making the Sweet 16), but frankly, I see Brady coming up three short in wins, one over in losses, and only playing 8 more games. Hopefully, I am wrong.

It's funny you mentioned firing all of the coaches in the SEC. If you compare this lot to the crew of 15 years ago, it would be a resound yes. Wimp, Williamson, Brown, Durham, Sonny Smith, and Sutton were giants in the sport at their school and characters, to boot. They had flaws, major ones in some cases, but they had people in this part of the country paying attention to SEC hoops.

5. mcmikel

mcmikel Founding Member

OK, first I'm a rare one, I'm a Twins fan and can't get over 1967. That pennant was ours...

Talented underachievers...hmmm. Wouldn't coaching correct that?

John Brady has cleaned up academics at LSU. A huge plus for him.

John Brady cleaned LSU's reputation with the NCAA. A huge plus for him.

This will be John Brady's SECOND winning conference record in eight years. That's not a plus. If the majority of LSU basketball fans are happy with a coach that is 24 games under .500 in league play, great. I'm a season ticket holder and I think we can do better.

6. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

Now somebody gets it! :thumb:

7. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

wimp only had one minor flaw.. he beat up his secretary... Bumper sticker with Auburn ties showed "we may pay our players but we don't beat our women"

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i think that's a bit strong. the talent does have something to do with the success of the team :D

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i wouldnt be surprised if there are AD officials and coaches that basically look at this as jb's 2nd or 3rd season because of the ncaa sanctions. IF that is the case, then its more understandable why jb isnt as hounded because of only a .667 winning %. but isnt he being hounded? i dont think anyone here think he's gods gift to coaching and shouldnt at least be evaluated at the end of the season.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

TE hasnt been around much lately. Are you TE?