Ignorant Article in Times of Acadiana

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rex_B, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

http://www.timesofacadiana.com/thirdopinion/

I am working on a response, here is what i have so far.

What do you think?

And yes I do live in Lafayette.

In response to 337 or 225? by Nick Pittman http://www.timesofacadiana.com/thirdopinion/

Dear Times of Acadiana,

For some reason Mr. Nick Pittman and probably 80% of the Lafayette community find some prejudice against Louisiana State University. I find it almost unpatriotic to not support a school in the great state of Louisiana. In your article you give comments like "did Lafayette catch a case of Red Stick Envy" or "Lafayette suddenly annexed as a meaty subdivision of our capitol city?” Last time I checked Baton Rouge is a city about 60 miles East of Lafayette in Louisiana, are you trying to make out Lafayette to be an Island where only the ignorant and stubborn live. Maybe you should ask yourself some questions before blowing your horn. Did you even take into consideration that LSU was the only SEC team in the Sugar Bowl? Do you celebrate Martin Luther King Day even though you are white? Does the North now not talk to South because of the Civil War? I just find it disturbing that Lafayette can broadcast itself as "not supporting" LSU in its greatest hour. I also do understand that in the past ULL and LSU have been a "rival" to some extent or another, but what ever happened to the etiquette of "May the best man win, or good luck”? It is just very tiring hearing people whine and rant about something good for our state, maybe not good just for Lafayette, but good for us all as Louisianians. Why can’t you and your followers except that LSU is a larger Division 1 school and ULL is a smaller Division 1 school? Maybe if ULL moved to Division 2 it could compete on an athletic level that we want to see, it is not rocket science. I will end my rant with quote “ Can’t we all just get along?”

Rex B.
    Group Net LLC

2. Tiger Dabbs

Tiger Dabbs T.D.

Oh, he's a freakin idiot!!:cuss:

Was ULL playing in a NC game? NO!:cuss:
    Was any other LA team? NO!:cuss:

So, what is so freakin wrong with supporting a NC team from your own state? Does this idiot think Lafayette should secede from the state?

Sounds like mr pittman has a severe case of penis envy!!

Hell, people here in Mississippi don't freak out about all of the LSU regalia hanging on houses!

I would burn that paper, cancel my subscription and subscribe to the Advocate.

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I find the article kind of humorous. I have long known that their is great envy present in the Lafayette area with the USLer's (thus the name change). I just find it funny that they would take it as far as trying to berate their own for cheering for LSU in what was probably the greatest sports moment in the history of this state.

I don't think it's fair to attack the publication as a whole for the opinions of one guy, however. He will ALWAYS be a very jealous and frustrated man if that's the way he feels.

4. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

isnt the mvp of the sugar bowl from lafayette? along with tons of others.. why not cheer on guys from your home town

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

He was also taking a shot at Lafayette fans who don't support ULL but I agree that this was over the top. It is, however, typical of some in Lafayette who are convinced that LSU and the State of Louisiana are bound and determined to keep the other state schools in their place. They are further convinced that LSU is the reason they could not get the University of Louisiana designation that they so desperately seek, as though that would suddenly transform the school into a power respected far and wide. The sports columnist for The Times, Don Allen has a daily sports talk show on 1330 am. During the week following LSU's Sugar Bowl win he made no effort to hide his disdain for LSU and for Nick Saban. The Lafayette daily paper, The Advertiser, to their credit and in acknowlegment of the vast numbers of LSU fans in Acadiana, provided excellent coverage for 2 weeks leading up to the Sugar Bowl. The response by some (check out ULL boards) is to cancel their subscriptions (to the only available daily, by the way) and refer to the paper as the AdverTiger. Let them bitch and moan all they want. It's envy, pure and simple. And, rest assured. LSU's success is killing them softly and I couldn't be more pleased.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Pittman is an idiot.

Rex, your response is fine, although as another poster suggested, I would clean up the LSU SEC reference in the Sugar Bowl by removing the word only.

Houma Tiger, Justin Vincent is from Lake Charles.

:geaux:

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I live in Lafayette and refuse to even pick up a copy of the Times (Slime) of Acadiana. It is a liberal rag that is bush league at best. The ony thing I would change in your response is your contention that 80% of Lafayette is prejudice against LSU. The overwhelming majority of people in Lafayette are LSU supporters including some USL Alum ! This is the reason USL cannot even average 15,000 in attendance per home game. If they cannot average more than 15,000 per game next season they will love their division one A status. There is a store in Lafayette that is one half LSU goods and one Half USL goods. Trust me the cash registers a playing Tiger Rag not whatever USL's song is.

8. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

There have been a few great players to come out of USL/ULL. Brandon Stokley and Jake Delhomme seem to come to mind.

Fact of the matter is, there is one major univ in La. ULL, ULM, McNeese, Northwestern, SLU...none of these schools gets very much following. I cheer for any La school when they aren't playing LSU. And the Daily Advertiser does a fair amount of coverage on ULL. So I'm not really sure who pissed his Cheerios the morning he wrote that piece.

9. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I think a lot of the recent bitterness stems from the 2002 Baseball
    sub-regional, when ULL's team and fans came into the Box with
    some kind of chip on their shoulder, running all kinds of smack. They got a brief boost when they beat LSU 5-0 in the Saturday game, but when LSU came out Sunday and exposed them with back-to-back 12-2 azz -whippings, things started to get especially ugly. :sob: :sob: :sob:

10. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

my bad, it is alley thats from the hub