Illegal Aliens

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by JSracing, May 26, 2006.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

You don't think kids today are fatter and lazier? I'll be damned if my kids have a Playstation. I'll tell you that much.

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Then how do you explain my fourth and fifth generation coonass friends who can't speak a bit of French, but suck at proper English too? :hihi:

Assuming your post is accurate, that could be a good point. I just get concerned when I consider the difference in immigrant kids from different countries when I was in school. The Asians and Indians were fierce in their desire to learn English and use it exclusively, yet I don't see that same dedication in the Hispanic community. This isn't intended to be a broad generalizatoin, but is merely what I've encountered.

It could be that Salty and Friends are onto something when they point out that this culture is perfectly happy NOT assimilating, and want to just operate in their niche community. And that's not a good thing, IMHO.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Not a shot at you, but I don't understand why video games are blamed for lard ass kids. I grew up with a 2600, Nintendo, and Genesis and never turned into a porker -- and I played A LOT of those.

It COULD be that I actually had parents who got home at reasonable times and played with me -- outside. And developed a love for playing sports that continued through the video game days. Hmmmmmmmm....

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Well Miami would serve as a good example for Hispanics. The spanish speaking population there is shrinking every census. I guess you could argue that if you get enough of em here they won't have to assimilate, but the Irish and Northern Europeans immigrated in droves also.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

i think of spanish as an american language. although i do know that there really has been legislation in the last few days to make english the official language. and i hate that. it is purely because we as a nation are *******s and i feel bad about it.

it really is hard to know what to do in a community where lots of people speak spanish, because you can definitely get by without learning tons of english. and it is hard for a school to dictate how much of each language people should know.

6. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

New Yorkers can stay out of this conversation. You people have declared your own nation. :hihi:

(I know, I know, you're in jersey. That's just the dirty side of the bridge.)

How is Fleet Week going? Have the Marines murdered any "innocent" civilians yet?

7. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

http://www.examiner.com/a-120123~White_House_compares_illegal_immigration_to_speeding.html

:dis:

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I should have been more specific. They do reduce wages, but only for a very few jobs & areas. It has a very small effect on our overall economy's wages. And although they do receive some benefits (which I'm not convinced is as abundant as some here proclaim), that doesn't reduce the benefits that citizens receive. It just means a higher federal deficit, and I imagine this effect is negligible considering the current size of it.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yes, they will do it for the right money. My point was that some jobs cannot support the wages that American workers demand. So, people will end up having to do the things themselves (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

In general, no. I just think it was ignorant to say that all of the mexican immigrants are leaving homes, as surely some of them are homeless.

It doesn't turn an opinion into fact... it's for emphasis.

You don't seem to understand my position. I don't agree with many social programs, and so I sure as hell don't agree with illegal immigrants receiving their benefits. I think our current laws should be enforced - illegals should be kicked out, and the border patrol should stop illegals from entering. BUT, I think that the current situation is being exaggerated by some. Not that it isn't serious, just that it isn't the threat that it's being presented as.

I never said groups of people voted the same due to their race. Their common beliefs lead many of them to vote similarly. I don't agree with politicians pandering to the groups of people, but that doesn't make it any less true that groups of people can tend to vote in unisome.

:dis: Taking things that don't belong to you is the definition of stealing.

However, I understand your point - atleast in the context of history & war.

I didn't say there was a labor shortage - there isn't one. But there sure as hell isn't a labor surplus, and so I think in terms of which one is less incorrect, it'd be easier to say "labor shortage".

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i argee with that, because to me this is only an economic , and to a lesser extent security, issue. people are getting crazy because they view it is a social and cultural issue. i think that is a mistake. i think people still tend to tribalize things, and get into an us against them mentality, and use any factor they can think of to create the division. even language, which to me seems crazy.

unisome, now that is an interesting word. they have a drug called unisom, i think it is a sleep aid, the root "som" meaning sleep like in somnabulist and insomnia. maybe unisome means lots of people sleeping together at once.

i think one thing that you can use to identify a person with poor crritical thinking skills is when they are voting together based on an arbitrary trait like ethnicity or language or the religion they were born into. as i like to say over and over, people should think like individuals and abandon the tribe of their birth.