I'm at my wits' end.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Note to viewers: You will want to give me bad rep after this post.

I can't keep quiet about this issue any more. I'm proud of the Tigers, and they're accomplishments, and Les Miles, and LSU in general.

What I'm sick of is how we, on one hand, bemoan that the BCS is unfair and imbalanced, while at the same time praising when we're #1, by what is essentially sheer luck. It could be argued that we're #1 right now because humans, either by their own actions or by proxy through computers, have by subjective reasoning decreed us to be the best.

That essentially means that our destiny is determined by sheer luck. We could be undefeated right now, having played nothing but top ten teams, using entirely a freshman squad, and be ranked #23 for no other reason except that the BCS decided so. How is it that we allow this foolishness to continue?

We're not #1 because we've carved it out of stone, or because we've played good teams and beaten them. At the end of the day, we're #1 because someone arbitrarily decided we are.

We need a playoff. We need a doggone playoff.

2 people like this.
  2. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

"Same as it ever was." David Byrne.

:wave:

2 people like this.
  3. clair

clair Rockets

your reasoning is illogical, imo, b/c "luck" and "computers" and "humans" would be present in any scenario, even a playoff scenario.

Say they adopt a 4 team playoff... who would determine the 4 teams? either the BCS system, or the polls.

I understand what you're saying, but your way to fix it is just more of the same.

the only real way to have no "luck" or "people" involved would be to have a 120+ team playoff with every D-1 team, and we know that wouldn't happen.

4. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i'm all for a playoff.

but we're #1 b/c we've played a better schedule than anyone else around us in the top 10 and our only loss came on the road after an emotional win in 3 OT's.

yeah college football is run by the pollsters but i like the view better from #1 than anywhere else.

remember, the bcs is better than the old system. when we move to a plus 1 (which will probably happen when the contract runs out in '09 i think) it'll be better than the system we have now. and so on and so on.

college football evolution is taking place but it doesn't happen in just one season. it happens ove time.

5. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

I agree, but we'll never see a playoff.

6. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I don't like the current BCS system and want it replaced/improved with a playoff, but I want LSU to succeed in the current system. I don't see the dichotomy in those two positions, however, and can sleep quite well at night having LSU ranked #1 under the current crappy system. The only thing better than LSU being #1 at the end of the season and playing for the BCS title would be to have an undefeated Kansas left out of the title game - not because I harbor any animosity towards Kansas, but because it'll cause more BCS controversy. Of course, the powers-that-be may just tweak things a little bit more, maybe with an arbitrary rule that says that undefeated BCS teams cannot be left out if there are less than three such teams, but short-term I'm hoping for a "+1" game, which is basically a 4-team playoff. Longer-term, I'd like a larger playoff system.

1 person likes this.
  7. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

I'm not asking for a 120 team playoff. I'm not opposed to the idea of a 4 or 8 team playoff, the participants of which are determined by a BCS-style system. All I'm saying is that of all the available options, the current one is by far the worst. Even a 4 team playoff makes more sense than what we currently have.

How we implement a playoff is irrelevant to me. Any step in that direction is a step in the right direction.

8. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Yes, but having the BCS decide who the best 4 or 8 teams are is a lot better than putting all the eggs in their basket and having them decide only the top 2 teams.

9. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Agree with this obvious position. No need to be at your 'wit's end' Atreus21. Just enjoy the season.

10. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

Well, we sort of have one now, except it's a single-game, two-team playoff. :)

It really isn't a big stretch to go to a 4-team playoff - it'll mean exactly one extra game for exactly two teams. Match up #1-4 and #2-#3 whenever possible, possibly allowing traditional matchups (Big-Ten/Pac-10 in the Rose Bowl) to override to allow a #1 vs. #3, etc. (anything except #1 vs. #2 in the first-round, basically).