I'm baaaaacckkk, with a question

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by wjray, Jan 31, 2015.

1. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Haven't been around much lately. Work has been nuts since the beginning of the year but after next week things should slow down.

So here's the question: my wife and I are headed to NYC over the Mardi Gras weekend for our mostly annual winter vacation. (Yes, @shane0911 we're firing up the Gulfstream :D) We generally stay in Brooklyn but (mostly due to Valentine's Day apparently) it was cheaper to stay in Manhattan. We also usually have at least one play planned but at our "regular" theater The Iceman Cometh is playing and it runs 4 hours 45 minutes. My back can't take that long in a chair.

So, suggestions for things to do on the big island?

LSUDad likes this.
  2. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

http://www.events12.com/newyork/february/
    http://www.nycinsiderguide.com/new-york-city-events-february#axzz3QPmGAZ00
    These are a couple of sites we use to look for things to do in the city. Also, try Groupon. You would be surprised at some of the deals that they get and some things you wouldn't think about. The weekend after Fat Tuesday is the kickoff to beer week in New York... http://newyorkcitybrewersguild.com/beer-week/2015-beer-week/

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

New York! For Mardi Gras! Someone get this man a compass or a GPS or something. He is directionless

wjray likes this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

My favorite Manhattan . . . in no particular order.
    1. Central Park. It really is something special but absolutely amazing in a city like this one.
    2. The view of the harbor from The Battery. Nothing like it.
    3. The American Museum of Natural History on Central Park West. One of the first and oldest natural history museums in the country.
    4. The view of Midtown from the top of the Empire State Building. Do this one in the daytime.
    5. The view of Downtown from the top of the World Trade Center. I know you can't so this until the new observation deck opens but it is supposed to happen this spring. Do this one at night. You can see right down Broadway.
    6. The Guggenheim Museum. If you are seriously into art, this is on the pilgrimage. I'm a fine arts lightweight, but I still liked this one.
    7. There are eateries everywhere on Manhattan, on every block. Follow your nose and read the window menus. I eat at a different place every time I go to NYC. You can get anything. Italian food is big there and usually pretty good. Can't get away with bad Italian food in New York. Good pizzerias.
    8. Same with drinkeries. They are all over and every style of pub, bar, nightclub, tavern, and saloon is represented.
    9. Really cool buildings--Grand Central Terminal, the Chrysler building, the Dakota, Brooklyn bridge, along Central Park East.
    10. I love the subway. You can fly around Manhattan on four-track mainlines with local and express trains.
    11. Overrated IMO -- going inside the Statue of Liberty (it looks better from the outside, overcrowded), Times Square (unless it is VE day or something), Greenwich Village (unless you have a friend there to show you the best spots).

5. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

We are about to get some more dumping of snow, potentially up to two feet over the next week or so. Central Park and The Battery are should be fantastic if the white holds up another week - a dusting on top. They usually do a good job of keeping the trails plowed in the park.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I have never been to Manhattan under snow. I must put it on the bucket list.

Tiger Exile likes this.
  7. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Though I've been to NYC several times in January-February, I've never been there when it's snowed. I'd really like to see that.

Thanks for your suggestions, too.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He should go to Rio for Mardi Gras

wjray likes this.
  9. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

@red55 1 -- Central Park -- visited any number of times but I know there's much more there I haven't seen yet. My favorite visit to the park was when I was visiting Strawberry Fields and inadvertently sat next to Jack Douglas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Douglas_(record_producer)) the guy who produced Walk This Way by Aerosmith and later worked with John Lennon.

2 -- Never did this. It's on the list for this trip.

3 -- We'll be staying at 79th and Broadway, a few blocks from the Natural History Museum. I've been inside but never toured and it's also on this list for this trip. I found out this morning that there's an occasional Night at the Museum thing where you can bring sleeping bags and such and get "locked in" after hours. It's mostly for kids, but my wife I were all about being the creepy childless couple to do it. Unfortunately it's not available the weekend we're there.

4 -- I've done it but the wife hasn't. Weather is going to dictate if we hit the top on this trip.

5 -- On a future trip, sure.

6 -- I'm a fine art lightweight myself but that's an impressive museum. The perpetual 12-year-old in me wants to sneak a skateboard in and roll down all six floors of that ramp.

7 and 8 -- We have our favorites but will always stop into an interesting looking place or two.

9 -- We've hit most of those but might check out the Flatiron this time.

10 -- We'll take cabs to and from the airport but otherwise it's a seven day Metro pass and subways everywhere.

11 -- Statute of Liberty looks nice from Brooklyn but I've got no desire to go into it. Times Square holds no real draw for me, though I have visited at night. I have a work acquaintance whose son lives in the Village and we might get together with him.

Thanks for the ideas.

10. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Man, I kinda got over Mardi Gras in New Orleans some years ago.