I'm curious on your perspective...Why did Alabama turn down Miles?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Apr 9, 2006.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Before fRan and Price, Miles put his name in the hat for the Bama job. I'm curious as to why you guys think the Admin at Bama turned him down for the job.

I know, it's not football season...but gosh, only 146 days till the season kicks off.

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

:dis:

He has too much character for the Alabama Administration. ;)

He needed to coach at a school like OSU and have success before getting a big time job.

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Did you read the question?

Shula wasn't on the radar until after Price.

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

LOL...I dreamed about character when we didn't fire DuBose.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

When Bama hired Price he was the hottest coach in America in the eyes of most and was most likely a good football hire, but a bad boy. I was thinking Bama had made a great hire at the time and was not looking forward to facing his offenses after he had time to recruit some skill people and QB's.

6. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

terry i sure wish you would have given him the job. unfortunately these homers on the internet only see the peach bowl. haha

7. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

Price is a very good coach. He took TX-EP to a bowl game. He just isn't a smart guy outside of football. My thought is if the bitches had been good looking he was messing with, he'd be coaching at Bama. I think the Bama folks wanted him to get first rate hookers and players.

BTW, Miles wasn't ready for the Bama job.

8. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Come on Terry, That's like me asking why didn't Bama go and get Nick Saban instead of letting LSU do it. Or why did no other college offer a job to Mike Shula.

So, how many other coaches "put their name in the hat" for the Bama job. Twenty? Fifty? How many coaches did Bama actually interview and was Miles one? Was Miles actually "turned down" or did he simply not make the short list? Who else made the short list?

Franchione was obviously a candidate with a longer career at a major school and had an impressive record. So was Price. Somebody at Bama should have done a little background check into their character flaws, obviously, but their football records made him the top candidates.

Miles had just a few years as a head coach and was looking for an opportunity to coach at a higher level. He only had a few more years experience as a head coach when LSU hired him, but Skip thought he was a comer and gave him a shot. And he has reponded with two top recruiting classes, an 11-win season, and an SECCG despite the hurricane impacts which would have sunk a lot of rookie coaches. And he did NOT reveal any character flaws during that trial.

Do you really imagine that after perhaps the best rookie season any SEC coach has ever had, that LSU fans have a shred of a concern as to why Bama didn't consider him five years ago? Maybe because he didn't play for The Bear. Probably because he was light on experience. Or maybe Bama actually should have considered him. After all LSU turned down both Bobby Bowden and Steve Spurrier for sucessive vacancies in the early 1980's. Who can see the future?

Honestly, I haven't been all that impressed with any coach Bama has hired since since the distinguished Gene Stallings. Bama hasn't exactly been the SEC bellweather for hiring the right coach, being 1 for 6 since The Legendary One passed on.

10. TigrinumMajor

TigrinumMajor Founding Member

Terry Bowden, 1993.

And we all know how that little experiment ended...

Good luck with Lester.