I'm starting to believe

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 13, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If Obama is a disaster, then the last guy was a disastrous snowballing clusterfugg.

You talk to a closed circle, perhaps. I get the feeling that I read a broader range of media than you do. I work at a major university in a major city, I see lots of opinions, the whole gamut here.

There are bleeding-heart extreme liberals and goose-stepping fascist extreme conservatives. There are lots of pragmatic moderates. There are tree-hugging environmentalists and slash and burn developers. Ages run from teenagers to older than you. There intellectuals and dumbasses, men and women, gays and neo-nazis, the Tea Party and the Sierra Club. We have foreigners who are rabidly American in heart and soul and other foreigners who despise us as they take advantage of our freedoms.

Yeah, I get out a bit.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yes I know. Read the first post, he is the reason this thread was started. He was supposed to champion gay rights, in fact, he made a lot of promises he is now crawfishing on. Pretty stupid to turn your back on some of the people who helped get you elected.

Once again, I know, it shouldn't be an issue at all, so why appeal it? Why not just let them get married already. What's it to ya?

[​IMG]

Gone.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Here is my concern. Marriage has costs to society. There are tax implications, social security issues, pension costs, insurance costs, just lots of stuff. Marriage between a man and a woman can provide a benefit to society in the form of children. Gay marriage can never provide this benefit.

4. LaSalleAve

there are other ways to impregnate women. And you could argue that artificial insemination could benefit female same sex relationships because both partners can produce children. Now the male on male thing, i really don't have a rebuttal for that one.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

its nothing to me. i am not saying "let them get married" like you are, or "dont let them get married". its a non-issue. it is just an irrelvant wedge issue used to idiots to take shots at each other. like when you make fun of tghe repressed religious republicans that are actually closet gays. so what if they are? they arent even really mistreating gays. cant get married? who cares! its just a word!

there are actual issues that matter. drug legalization is one. people are in jail over that one.

6. LaSalleAve

That we can agree on. I'm totally on board with that one.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

let me explain it slightly better. if a candidate hated gay people and never shut up about it, and he was identical to the opposing candidate in all other ways except this, and the fact that he was very slightly more likely to lower taxes, then you should favor him, because is wildly more likely to raise the standard of living for gay folks.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

So far this year I've flown 75,000 miles and visited 10 states, including Mass and California (San Francisco) and 2 other countries. I do not read liberal rags like Time and Newsweek but I do read the (liberal) NY Daily News when I'm in New York/New Jersey which is about 12 weeks out of the year. You work at a major university (all of which are bastions of liberalism) in a podunk backwater by comparison.

So stuff your arrogant notion that you have a broader base of associations than I do. Not even close.

1 person likes this.
  9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Things that you can't stop and that will never end;

• Some people are going to be gay
    • Some gay people will fall in love
    • Some gay people in love will form lasting serious relationships
    • Some people in serious relationships want to formalize the relationships
    Your marriage has nothing to do with mine. Mine has nothing to do with theirs. Couples are like people, all are individual and unique. There are heterosexual devil worshipers and homosexual Christians.

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see why this is such an issue other than it's become a political football used by BOTH sides.

A lot of these people are already married in their hearts and minds. The only thing that's not happening is the document. We're creating a rift in our society where it's not needed. It's time to move on.

Of course that's my opinion, respectfully submitted.

10. LaSalleAve

all valid points.