In Good Graces or On Thin Ice? The Fate of Crowton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Chase4LSU, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

LSU is currently lining up coaches to replace ones that left to pursue other positions or were fired. I can't help but ponder, will Crowton share the same fate?

Crowton came to LSU in 2007 and did well for that year. Last year, our offense managed an average of thirty something points a game. This year, though, our offense is mediocre at best in almost every statistic. Personally, I think Crowton should go, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was kept on another year for Lsu to see how their investment panned out. If the rumor that he had little to no influence in replacing members of the coaching staff is true, I think that would signal that he's not going to be around much longer.

What do ya'll think? Should Crowton be allowed to stay or should he be given the axe? And what reasons do ya'll have for wanting him to stay or leave?

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think the offense was stagnant enough for him to get the axe if that is the road taken, but i also feel that he should be given a chance to redeem himself since he was a big part of our 07 national championship.

3. Chase4LSU

I see your point. I think he's missed his chance, but hey, who's to say what it would have been like this year with JJ progressing way ahead of schedule, the OL solid, the running game not hindered by injuries, and the meerkat offense dead before the season began?

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

From what I understand, Crowton is a good OC as long as he's got a veteran QB to work with. Give him one that he has to actually develop and he's not so effective. He simply is not a good teacher of the system and from what I've heard that's been a huge problem all year. If the QB can't understand the offense, then the offense is limited to what he does understand.

Example: I can play piano like it's nobody's business, but you wouldn't want to take lessons from me because I am not the teacher type. Wouldn't know where to begin teaching someone. Long story short, I think this is what's hurting our offense with regards to Crowton.

That in mind, I am skeptical as to whether this can be "fixed"... Crowton's past performances at other schools reflect the same thing. I would prefer to have a decent coordinator that can relate to the QB and develop the QB without confusing the crap out of him with his 'wizardry'... I'm hoping GC goes, but if he stays I have a feeling Miles has a plan to deal with this issue.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chase4LSU

I've heard ( and unfortunately observed) the same. Which also brings up another question: If he is good OC but a poor teacher to young QB's, would we be better off keeping him and getting a separate coach for that position? I think the results would be similar to what they are now, but that's just my opinion:thumb:

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Unless someone is let go, and an opening is made, leaving a position coaches duties to be split, there isn't room for another position coach. You are limited as to how many coaches you can have on staff.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I suspect Crowton will remain, but I'm not sure why Studrawa still has a job. His was the weakest unit on the field for LSU last season and wasn't spectacular the year before either.

8. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

I dunno, I have thought about this line of thinking, but I keep coming back to 2008. The offense was pretty danged good even with JL throwing to the other team at times. JL was a green QB and the offense was good. JL wasn't good, but the play calling and execution by the rest of the team wasn't that bad. We scored a lot of points with a less than stellar green QB.

So to me, he is a good OC, but a crappy QB coach. I think that he was also stuck with a poorly performing OL. Whoever was responsible for the OL problems this year needs to go. Crowton, Stud, whoever!

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Not sure why, either, but I think this will change. Sometimes things take a bit of time.

10. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

JL was much more suited to the what Crowton wanted in his offense. JL was a classic pocket-style, quick decision making QB which is what Crowton wants. Unfortunately for JL, sometimes he thought a little too quick, or else his arm couldn't catch up with his brain and it cost us dearly. Jefferson, while more mobile, is a much slower QB when it comes to making reads, winding up, and throwing. Crowton struggled all year with getting him to understand how his offense works (teaching) and it limited the playbook as a result. I see this as Crowton's fault though, OC's generally are in charge of developing QB's...

That's pretty much what I said. I omitted the part about the O-line because this thread was about Crowton in particular. I think we're in agreement.

1 person likes this.