In Good Graces or On Thin Ice? The Fate of Crowton

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Chase4LSU, Dec 10, 2009.

1. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Excellent observation.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

As I was writing that post, I knew the kitchen analogy would give everyone lots of opportunity to take off on it and go all kinds of directions with it. I was thinking that the players were the cooks hands and feet. You know they do what the cooks brain tells them to do. :hihi:.

3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Or, what? Hire a completely new OC to implement a completely new system, for more or less the same personnel to learn? :huh:

Or, do you make minor modifications to the current system, do a better job of running/teaching it, and count on improvement from your players? :thumb:

We'll see how it plays out, but I think Miles knows what he's doing.

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I agree, when did LSU become a training program for coaches? They're getting paid big bucks. They should be proficient when they are hired.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I fired my doctor. A couple of his patients died last year.

1 person likes this.
  6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

you weren't one of them......right?

:)

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Not yet, but I had some blood work this morning so you never know. :)

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Please identify the "system" the offense ran this year. The one where we line up in a 2 TE pro formation and get 1-2 yards on the ground, followed by an incomplete pass in a 4 WR set with trips on the left side? Exactly how do you make minor tweaks to make that work? It's random, schizophrenic play calling. It is up to the coaches to establish an offensive identity given the players you have and their capabilities, and they couldn't really do that through a 12-game season. Fixing that kind of apparently systemic problem takes an overhaul, not patching the dam and hoping to God it holds.

I sure hope so. LSU plays elite teams on this schedule every year, and if LSU wants to be an elite team again, then it's time for Les to show LSU can play at that level and beat them, not simply compete. Aimless playcalling and sloppy offensive play with LSU's talent is enough to be a good team and beat lower-tier SEC teams, but it won't be enough to beat the cream of the crop.

9. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Agree 100% with all of this. People keep talking about CGC is a good OC if he has an experienced QB, not a good developer of the QB, etc, but I agree with you, it is the lack of offensive identity that has me most concerned. I really like the schizophrenic description, and the examples of playcalling - spot on! Need to move on to a new OC! IMHO

10. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

What he said.

A lot of posts saying that he's a good OC with the results from of this year's offense staring us in the face confounds me. What exactly was good about it? What progress form this season do you build on next year? How exactly do you manage to have a "veteran QB" every year in college football? They generally tend to leave after their eligibility is up and then another inexperienced QB comes in, or at least that's how I understand it. So do we have to have a stagnant offense each time a now QB becomes the starter? I'm afraid that if CLM keeps Crowton and we have more of Garyball next season with the same lackluster offensive results, people (like me) will want answers from Les as to why he allowed us to stagnate or even regress on offense when we can see that's where the problem is.