In hindsight...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TennesseeTiger, Nov 30, 2002.

1. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

I believe we could have gone for it on 4th down. Run Randall...let him burn a little more clock and give them the ball inside their own ten. Then danger of this is, they would have only needed to score a FG to send it to OT.

What do you guys think.

Please, only LSU fans. I don't want this to turn into smack. I just want true answers.

2. Pitkin Tiger

Pitkin Tiger Founding Member

That's what I thought at the time the call was made.

The FG did nothing to help us. I'm not afraid of OT. They already needed a TD to beat us, so having a 6 point lead did nothing except make their extra point a little more interesting. But don't just go for the 4th down to give them the ball at the 15---GOOOOO for the 1st down and keep the ball. The ONLY way to insure victory at that point was to keep the ball and not give it back to Arkansas...the FG was meaningless.

3. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

The only thing I would have done different is try a pass play on the 3rd down before the FG. In the 4Q LSU got conservative I thought. Randall was playing well, and I just wish we would have tried to get one more first down, and more TD and put the dagger in them. They were not able to cover Clayton on third down.

The last 3 running plays before Corbello kicked the FG was exactly what Arkansas needed us to do in order to have a chance. If we score one more TD, they're done.

Saban is a great coach, but he is conservative by nature, and it caught up to him yesterday. That said, the team still did everything it needed to do to win the game yesterday for 59:26, and the way Saban managed the game should have worked. The team played the championship game it needed to play. LSU was a champion yesterday until the last :34 seconds. Then everything came crashing down.

On those last 3 passes by Arkansas, had all the balls been thrown well, each would have been a TD. The collapse by the defense & the secondary will be something we won't forget for many years to come. Their QB before that drive was 2 of 13 for 46 yards. Unbelievable.

4. bpell

bpell Freshman

I couldn't agree more. The team was able to move the ball forward that whole drive. When I saw the kicking team come out, I was incredulous. I told my wife this was a repeat of the final minutes of the ole miss game where lsu went ultra conservative. We almost lost that game if we hadnt intercepted manning. Oh Well..... All in all the team played exceptionally well despite the injuries etc. Wow how about skyler Green....there is hope for the future.....

5. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

I don't see anything I can't agree with here but, the Tigers lost this game because of the defense in the last 43 seconds. How can you let a receiver get behind you in that situation? We had more db's in the game at the end than they had receivers. As I recall, we only had three linemen rushing the QB so again how can their receivers get behind the db's. Incredible! Only one tackle in bounds and the game is over!