In LA, which is bigger LSU or the Saints?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ohio1317, Feb 6, 2010.

1. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Trust me, there were a lot of broke-azz muthaf**kers at those games. I didn't see their bank statements, but let's just say I have a feeling. In fact, I'll bet there will be a decent number of evictions happening to about half the Saints fans in Miami right now come March and April. You know they don't have it - but they're spending what they don't have to enjoy the moment with the Saints. So the Saints may end up with a Super Bowl Title, a year-long party and about 10,000 new homeless people.

But yeah, LSU has a decent number of people that blow $ like crazy too that they don't really have. But I don't think it's quite as many as the Saints.

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

you pretty much missed the point of what i was saying... i was just saying that the common man can connect with a pro-team more so than a college team... it had nothing to do with ticket pricing. both are prohibitively expensive, btw.

3. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

The question really has to be answered in context of time. At this present moment the Saints are "bigger".

Historically, the Saints have been a very poor performing organization. They only recently won their first playoff game. So, I would say that if you look at the big picture, LSU is bigger in the state, and the Saints are bigger in the city of New Orleans. There are many old Tulane fans in the city, and that also hurts LSU. They tend to be huge on the Saints and haters of LSU due to the ancient rivalry that has now all but died out.

I have lived in and out of the city, so I have a bit of experience in judging this.

4. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

And half of the stadium is gone by halftime.

5. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Here in BR it's LSU. NO it's the Saints. My daughter's fiance is from Covington. He watched the LSU bowl game with us,he was into it, but not like I was (pacing, talking to the TV, etc.) but when we watch the Saints, the roles are reveresed.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

a few things....

just because the saints fans dont have the numbers lsu fans doesnt mean the fans they do have in nola and the nola area arent very connected to their team. and just because most fans did/still do think tom benson is an ass doesnt mean they dont love their team. i have been a saints fan for 25 years. i have never liked benson. (i credit the direction of the team in the last few years not on tom, but his daughter, rita benson leblanc.)

as far as not selling out ts right after katrina.... well, no sh*t. i'd be willing to bet that the most hard core saints fan at that time were still mainly from nola. as much as anyone loves their team, football wasnt exactly a priority at that time.

the saints did come back tho, and were there when the city/citizens needed something to hope for and see as a symbol that they could could back. i think there is a connection between the team and those that returned to new orleans.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

LSU has played in the Sugar Bowl 4 times since the dome was opened.
    All 4 had larger crowds than the Saints have ever had for one of their games (including playoffs) in the dome.

8. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

That makes absolutely no sense. Pro teams= millionaires, from all over the country, no direct ties to the state, just mercenaries essentially. College teams= local kids who choose to represent the state at the flagship university.

Again, this makes absolutely no sense.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I think that about sums it up right there. You have to remember that most of Shreveport and Northwest Louisiana are Cowboys fans, because logistically Dallas is closer than New Orleans is, but they are all LSU fans, i mean if you head up I 49 North there is a big sign on the side of the road, right before you get to the industiral loop in Shreveport, that says "This is Tiger Country".

10. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

They also expand the seating capacity of the Dome for Bowl Games.